Introduction from Canada- glad to be here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanjo

My name is Joey 30 yrs old and I recently had my surgery done on April 04/08. Went for a routine check up the Dr. told me that I have a heart murmur and need to see a cardiologist, ok no big deal.

Two weeks later seen the cardiologist and I thought he would give me some pills and everything is going to be fixed up instead he told me that I required open heart surgery for a valve replacement. My head almost hit the floor then i thought it was some kind of joke or mistake or there was something wrong with the heart monitoring machine. Can?t believe over the years of seeing Doctor?s they never notice a heart murmur. It took a couple of days of crying and placing my thoughts together for the news to digest. Still can?t believe it, ME need open heart surgery.

And here I was at the end of hockey season getting ready for spring hunt, looking forward for baseball season, practising my sprint running so I could steal more bases and getting the boat/camper ready for the summer holidays. Physically in shape, no symptoms what so ever and within a 3 week period went from a routine check up to some Dr. telling me I need open heart surgery ASAP. Wow- what a kick in the nuts. I still picture my self when the Dr. told me the news. I was waiting for friends to jump out from behind the curtains yelling you?ve been ?PUNK?D? LOL

So here I am the newest member to the zipper club. Recovering from heart surgery getting use to what not to eat, no more smoking, have to put a limit on my drinking and get my rest. But overall it was worth it, the Dr. told me that i would of had severe heart complications within a year if i didn?t have the surgery because my valve was leaking like Niagara falls for to long and the heart was working to hard and almost doubled in size. It?s not a good feeling when your own surgeon is a little freaked out on the size of your heart and dumbfounded why you?re heart is still ticking.

My blood pressure before they sliced me open was 260/50, I think I broke some kind of record in that operating room LOL, I wish I was awake afterwards to scratch my name on the wall with my blood pressure ?try brake that?. Glad to see there?s a site with answers to my questions and people that went through they same thing as me. I don?t feel alone anymore and there?s a whole Community of people depend on for help. Overall I?m happy to have had the surgery, it?s given me a different out look on life and what?s most important to me and my family. It has certainly made me a better person mentally and physically. Take care

joey
Mech valve replacement-April 4/08
Hamilton General Hospital

Welcome Joey!

It has been a very busy, suprising time for you. I'm glad you found us. Stop by the Anticoagulation forum to read the stickies and view the videos in one of the stickies.

Let us know if you have any questions.

A BIG Howdy from the prairies of Saskatchewan to a fellow Canadian.

I'm always so happy to see another Canuck.

And boy, do I know what you mean about being kicked in the nuts (quiet people:D ).
By the way.......eat what ever you want - there are no restrictions unless of course your doctor has told you other wise.

Here's to you mate on continuing to have a uneventful recovery.

Cheers

Hello Joey and welcome.:) Just over a month since I stumbled through the doors of VR.com myself, although my last surgery was 10 years ago. It's good to relate with those of similar experiences.

Welcome to VR, Joey!

Sounds like you've had a few really stressful months, but the worst is behind you and there are only blue skies ahead!

Hi Joey, I was just through Hamilton on my way through from parts north of you the day before your surgery. I'm glad you made it through without major complications. Welcome.

Hi Joey and a big WELCOME...YOu have had quite a turn-around in the last month or so...let us know if we can help with any questions you may have...its great to have another member to share our experiences and concerns with.

Been There

Been There

I remember it like it just happened. I have always gotten great news from doctors. I was athletic. . . proud of being in shape . . . strong. I went to my visit for a hand rash. I chose to go because I had insurance. I had never met this doctor and I was in a hurry to get out. Give me my perscription and I am out. He came in, introduced himself, and I was so secure. . . he said, "why are you hear?" I have a hand rash. Let's look at it. "yeah, have you tried any over the counter meds". Next he says, "well, lets get a look at you. . . WOW! that is impressive. . . I just smiled. . . Take a breath. . . Breathe out and hold, That is impressive . . . Do you mind if I have a colleague listen to this. . . No?:confused: . . .She enters and listens. . . WOW! that is impressive. . . What?:( You have a heart murmur that is very interesting and you don't want to be interesting in our field. .. :eek: I will never forget that. I called my wife and I couldn't get her. I felt so alone. I called my dad and told him and he said, Ah It ain't nothing. . That was hard because I seen the docs face and I new it was. But Here I am! Feeling better than I have in a long time. I am still not 100 percent but I feel great. You are not alone, There is so much support here and people who know what you are going through. Contact me anytime with any questions. . . Seth

Hi Joey, welcome to the forum, you have found the best place to get all those answers, all the best.take care

Welcome to the VR Community. Glad you joined us. Your story sounds similar to mine. I had no history of heart problems, or any medical problems for that matter, and no symptoms. However, during my annual physical my GP noticed a heart murmur that wasn't there before. Pretty soon I was having my mitral valve repaired. It was certainly a wake up call, and has changed my outlook on life.

Latest posts

Back