Intro from a new member

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site Wi-Harley,
im at best of times late with posts and 16 years late to
a aortic valve replacement,so i hit the bumps without a
supportive team and youll meet the warmest heart loving
team of people here,glad you found the site now and (welcome).
wish you all the best in your recovery.

zipper2

Hello and from the South Puget Sound part of the country! Keep us updated on your progress and best of luck with your recovery journey.

Steve C.

Wi-HarleyGuy said:
So, for all you bikers out there, how long did you wait before you took that first ride on your motorcycle?

I had my surgery Feb 28 amd tried riding my bike at week 14 (early June). I probably could have tried at week 12 but I had a set back that required a new incision at week 3 so that had to heal properly. However, I didn't go too far, only about 50 km that first ride. It felt great to get out but it was very tiring. I spent the most of that riding season taking short rides. Everyone is different, but I had a lot of back, shoulder, and neck aches from the surgery (they twist you around like Gumby) so riding for any length of time was tiring and uncomfortable. Going straight at cruising speed was fine. It was the maneuvering and starts/stops that were tiring. Just backing it out of the garage was a challenge. Your decker, like my Heritage, is not a light bike and your upper body won't have it's full strength so be careful. Also the bumps, like over RR tracks, were like mini sneezes. Oouch! I found the wind against my chest a bit irritating. My incision was sensitive so the wind and my t-**** rubbing against it was anoying. My scar ultimately went keloid so it is still sensitve today. All this said, I was out riding and while not perfect it was still great to be out! Just pace yourself and listen to your body and you'll do fine. By September I was feeling much better and the rides were getting longer, but just not like I usually ride. The following season, I was riding like my old self so it was a year before I was "fully" recovered.

Welcome to the site from another Packer fan. I'm originally from Upper Michigan and I was driving across Wisconsin when I heard the news regarding Favre. He will be missed.

I wish you a smooth recovery. It's been almost 5 months since my surgery I feel completely back to normal. Take one day at time and before you know it you'll be feeling great!

today marks the 90 day (three month, Dec 12, 2007) point since my AR valve replacement and repair of ascending aortic aneurysm repair.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information to be found here.

I hope that your recovery goes as smoothly as mine. I was back in my office on a part-time basis 3 weeks later. While I no longer ride motorcycles, last saturday I got back on my bicycle for the first time and took a slow 20 minute ride. It felt great. I have the ok to get back to horse riding next week.

For now, walk as much as you can. Increase your time in small increments. Sleep will be interrupted for the next few weeks at least, perhaps for a few months. The first night that I slept for 3 hours straight I was thrilled.

I also tried to get out of the house with my wife everyday to go to lunch. Seeing other people outside my house was also beneficial.

Hi Wi-HG,

As you see from my signature line, I've had 2 OHS. I didn't find VR.Com until after the second and that was through a link I saw on a forum post at WebMD. Those folks over there were a gold mine of information and support, here, you've stumbled on a diamond mine.

The valve community is a different animal entirely from any other heart surgery group and I know you'll feel like you're home after a really short while.

Rest, Walk and Heal.

P.S. if the recliner's not the answer, look into getting a wedge or simply propping yourself up on lots of pillows, in your own bed. It takes time to settle into a comfortable sleep pattern, but you will.

Welcome

Welcome

Eat, walk, sleep, and blow into that plastic thingy! Hope your recovery is as bump free a mine.

Welcome to the site, glad you are doing well after surgery, best wishes and take care.

Latest posts

Back