Internal Pacing Wires...a Curiosity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine were yanked about 4 days post-op. chest tube 3 days post-op along with the catheder (uggggghhhh!)

Bonzo Dog said:
People I think we are getting our wires crossed. :D :confused:

I assumed the topic was about internal permanent pacing wires fitted to a permanent internal pacemaker. They are as my earlier post says designed to create tissue growth around the tips and are often left in place when redundant. There were four inside me doing nothing at one time.

On a re-read maybe Dina the original poster and some replying, are I think talking about the external pacing wires fitted as a precaution during OHS. These were removed from me post surgery on both occasions. I find it strange and unnecessary they should be snipped and left inside.

Sorry for any confusion my confusion has caused :confused:

Yes Bonzo , I meant the temporary wires, and they were pulled 11 days
post op. Funny thing is they came out so easily that the PA was surprised-
It probably reflected my feelings regarding keeping them in!

ctyguy said:
mine were yanked about 4 days post-op. chest tube 3 days post-op along with the catheder (uggggghhhh!)

I wonder why some people have one chest tube, others 2, etc. My first surgery I had 3 and this time 4. Does it have anything to do with how much a patient may have bled during surgery?

I've wondered that too but didn't bother to post the question, maybe someone will come along and tell us.

My wife gave her perspective on my pacing wires, now here's mine.http://valvereplacement.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif Mine were located approximately one inch to either side of my chest tubes holes (I had three about 3/4 inch apart). The chest tubes were removed about two days post surgery. According to Laura I drummed my feet vigorously, but otherwise didn't move. They didn't really hurt, but more of an invasive feeling 'slithery' movement as they were removed. Not a lot of pain, either, just uncomfortable. Then they taped up the holes and wrapped my pacing wires in tape and covered all with a plastic cover so I could safely shower.

I must have been in my ex science teacher frame of mind (remember their axiom: We are renowned for our pun-ishment and the re-word that follows.http://valvereplacement.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif) So when a nurse said "The wires will be removed shortly before discharge from the hospital." I burst out laughing much to the bewilderment of my wife and the nurse. Of course I was thinking of them being shorted together to discharge them before I left the hospital--hence the humor.

The removal of the wires was my second most traumatic experience during my hospital stay. The first, amazing to most of you no doubt, was the finger pricks for blood sugar levels--I actually would be drenched in sweat in a full anxiety attack when each time for a finger prick approached. I feel so sorry for some of the nurses--they felt so guilty and nervous when it came time for them to check me. Others just learned to live with it.

Of course it was the second to last day, the seventh day, and the discharge nurse (no doubt well-'grounded' in the technique http://valvereplacement.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif), came into the room and had me lay flat. There was no nonsense about letting a little thing like resistance (I know--ouch!) or pain get in the way of their removal. With a very firm tug (remember the drumming of feet from the chest tubes? Think twice as hard pounding!) out came the bluish wire with a glistening bit of heart muscle attached. I then knew what a parachute pack must feel like when someone pulls the rip cord. It certainly felt like the wire was ripping through me on the way out. Yes, sweat beaded up on me, too. Then came the other wire (I think it was some shade of orange). With another even firmer steady tug, my spare chute opened...http://valvereplacement.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif It felt like I was being charged up rather than being discharged--it felt like a painful electric shock accompanied with a grating feeling. This wire, too, came out with its own bit of heart. My heels really pounded the bed that time and I actually lifted my bottom off the bed for a second at the worst part. I actually whimpered a bit, too. Then it was all over. No visible bleeding, no residual pain--except an odd burning sensation inside where the wires had been that lasted about five minutes. My wife said it took 4 hours for me to recover, but I really felt fine much sooner, just obeying the nurse's instructions to lie still for a while. I still have the wires in a zip-lock baggie, and will probably keep them for life.

I have no such sentimental feelings, though, for the lancets used to poke my fingers--good riddance! The discharge nurse offered to let me take home a unused one for a souvenir--I politely declined. In the case of the used lancets--may the fires that had burned that day in the incinerator have roared an extra 1000° hotter for their disposal!

Within less than a week I could not even find the scars for the pacing wires. That couldn't be said for the chest tubes. Their scars are a bit nasty looking even now as I'm slightly allergic to so-called 'dissolving' sutures. They don't dissolve in me, just sit there and cause little keloids to form instead--perhaps over the next few months the sutures will be expelled like the ones for an earlier surgery. Oh well. At least I'm alive to whine about my scars, though.http://valvereplacement.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Chris

Sometimes when in the hospital, my question would be answered with the response 'everyone is different'. At first I was slightly annoyed and took the response as being evasive or the person didn't want to take the time to adequately respond.

I was unfair to them. They are correct. Everyone is different.

Having just read Chris' post, which was very interesting IMO, it became so clear to me that though we all have the same procedures and treatments, we experience them so differently.

For me, I barely noticed the finger pricks for the glucose test four or so times a day. I was on the phone several times when the nurse came to me and the nurse indicated I shouldn't hang up. It barely registered with me when she had gotten her blood sample and was waiting for her little gizmo to give the reading.

My first OHS when the pacing wires were pulled, it didn't warrant a blink of an eye. I felt a slight flutter and it was painless.

Now....let's talk about the drainage tubes. I near bit off the head of the person who pulled my tubes my first surgery. I never had before or since experienced such horrible pain. I mean PAIN. I screamed out in agony. Something I never would have believed I would have done. It was an uncontrollable response.

Because of that pain, this second surgery, I pleaded for pre-medication prior to them pulling the tubes. I had four tubes!!! :) And only three were coming out on day three; I would have to wait longer for the fourth. So I got to experience it twice!! :(

They were kind and accomodating but I think shaking their heads a bit at what a baby I was being but they gave me pain meds, waited a while and when they pulled the tubes, it was only slight discomfort. Ultimate irony was that fourth tube which was to be pulled probably the next day, came out on its own! Stitch and all. PA was helping me to restroom and just after he left me in there, I looked down and the tube was on the ground. He freaked a little but said it happens sometimes. I thought it kind of funny until he told me that earned me another chest x-ray to be sure the hole didn't suck air or whatever. (all was fine)

Everyone experiences all of this differently.

An acronym definition please. :confused: In the UK a PA would be a Personal Assistant, usually used for the right hand man or woman to a senior manager in the business/commercial world. Who is this PA referred to a lot in this thread?

Sorry, Bonzo. My reference to PA is Physician Assistant. Each surgeon has at least several. One of them did my pre op physical exam and she told us her education but I forget the specifics. Lots of years of schooling! :)

Ouch, Adam..... That could get really old really fast. I'm sorry you had to endure so many of those tests. My first OHS (four years ago) they didn't do them. I was told they are finding improved wound healing keeping glucose closely monitored.

The wires I referred to were the ones for the temp pace maker. Mine were clipped and left in. I was told if they were not causing any problems such as infection then there was no need to risk creating a problem by pulling them out.

As for the chest tubes I hated them but also dreaded having them pulled out. The PA asked me to take a deep breath and exhale as she pulled them out and I felt nothing.Getting those things out was a wonderful feeling!!!!:)

Pulling Tubes, etc...

Pulling Tubes, etc...

My husband had a very entertaining nurse when they started pulling tubes and such. He would preface every pull, pinch, or poke with" I'm sure this is going to hurt you a lot more than it'll hurt me..." He also had to be the one to get Chris out of bed the first few times. Boy, what a production! They hooked him up to a portable cardiac monitor, and had to hook up his oxygen, pacemaker wires, clamp off the chest tubes, IVs, Foley, etc. and then walk him around the ICU. All of the equipment was on a wheelchair or held by one of us. It seems that once Chris got extubated, it was like someone turned on a switch. We all had a good laugh when he asked how well he was doing, and how fast he should walk. The nurse commented that he would pass the test if he could talk comfortably while walking. Well, he NEVER stopped talking. Walks got easier as tubes and wires were pulled, and he was able to work on getting the tape removed (he does NOT subscribe to the quick and dirty method). I can tell you that I was never so happy as when he was able to walk without the monitor showing so much as a hiccup. I was very proud, too.

Balmy in Idaho,
-Laura

Weird thing- It seems most people keep their drainage tubes in for awhile,
mine were taken out in 12 hours (and I only had 1). This turned out to be
a mistake since a week later I had fluid built up around my heart,it took
another several days to clear up .
Jkm7 and Ctyguy
Im not sure about the reason some have 1 tube, and others have3 or 4 but
I would guess it has to do with the location of the heart that is repaired and
where and how much drainage and bleeding there will be as a result.
As for a PA's education- I know of an accelerated program in NYC at Pace Univ. where it takes only 4yrs + summers, But usually its equivalent to an MA.

Dina said:
Weird thing- It seems most people keep their drainage tubes in for awhile,
mine were taken out in 12 hours (and I only had 1). This turned out to be
a mistake since a week later I had fluid built up around my heart,it took
another several days to clear up .
Jkm7 and Ctyguy
Im not sure about the reason some have 1 tube, and others have3 or 4 but
I would guess it has to do with the location of the heart that is repaired and
where and how much drainage and bleeding there will be as a result.
As for a PA's education- I know of an accelerated program in NYC at Pace Univ. where it takes only 4yrs + summers, But usually its equivalent to an MA.

Chris had 3 tubes, but never did have much drainage. He is still having problems with a pericardial effusion, but this is thought to be due more to an immune system response to OHS than to a surgical problem. He had to have a tube to each lung, since he got such severe pulmonary edema.
I have always worked with physicians' assistants. The training does vary from program to program. In Seattle, Medex has a 2-year program, but you must have extensive experience as an RN, paramedic, physical therapist, etc. I find that they are some of the best-trained of all. If I had to do it all again, I probably would have gone to PA school.

Expecting Snow in Idaho (sigh),
-Laura

Latest posts

Back