Interesting phone conversation about the surgery!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

The surgeon's office called about a pre-surgery cath. They want me to do it locally, as they are about 4 hours away and don't want to do it the day before the surgery.

I asked them some other questions different people suggested, and then came up with my own stupid question. I wanted to know who coordinates "all this stuff".

The lady laughed--she has a great personality-and asked me what stuff. I said, like follow ups down here, coumadin levels, what I can do or can't do, etc.

She told me that when I leave the hospital, they will have made sure everything is the way it is supposed to be. I shouldn't need any immediate cardiology followup at all, according to her. They glue the chest incission, so no stitches to remove there. Depending on when they let me go, they might already have removed the stitches from the tube holes, or, if not, the primary can do it. The most interesting thing was that she wasn't sure I would need to be on coumadin, which is a drug I don't like. I thought that was protocol and will follow up with it, but she was so reassuring that it really alleviated a lot of my concerns.

Also, she said they aren't using metal "wires" on the sternum any more, but non-magnetic, non-metal detector something like wire to close the sternum. It doesn't come out.

This stuff is so routine to the people who are opening chests up every day that I feel very comforted!

If you are receiving a mechanical valve, you must be on Coumadin/Warfarin. If, however, you have a repair or a tissue vavle, you may be put on Coumadin/Warfarin for a short time but not for life.

Wishing you the very best for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.

Regards,
Blanche

67walkon said:
The surgeon's office called about a pre-surgery cath. They want me to do it locally, as they are about 4 hours away and don't want to do it the day before the surgery.

I asked them some other questions different people suggested, and then came up with my own stupid question. I wanted to know who coordinates "all this stuff".

The lady laughed--she has a great personality-and asked me what stuff. I said, like follow ups down here, coumadin levels, what I can do or can't do, etc.

She told me that when I leave the hospital, they will have made sure everything is the way it is supposed to be. I shouldn't need any immediate cardiology followup at all, according to her. They glue the chest incission, so no stitches to remove there. Depending on when they let me go, they might already have removed the stitches from the tube holes, or, if not, the primary can do it. The most interesting thing was that she wasn't sure I would need to be on coumadin, which is a drug I don't like. I thought that was protocol and will follow up with it, but she was so reassuring that it really alleviated a lot of my concerns.

Also, she said they aren't using metal "wires" on the sternum any more, but non-magnetic, non-metal detector something like wire to close the sternum. It doesn't come out.

This stuff is so routine to the people who are opening chests up every day that I feel very comforted!

I'm not sure what valve you are getting or if a repair, (sorry my brain is mixing alot of peopl together) but if you are getting a tissue, you might not need to go home on any meds beside pain pills and possibley aspirin for a couple weeks/months. Justin wasn't put on anything, and I even called his cardiologist at another hospital to double check with him to see what his thoughts were and he agreed.

You are so right. If I came away with anything from the OHS experience, it was just how routine all this is to them. It was very reassuring.

I had a mitral valve repair and was supposed to be on Coumadin for 3 months post-op as a recovery precaution. As it turned out, they decided I could stop after 6 weeks. At release from the hospital they gave me instructions, including what follow-up appoints I had to make, and prescriptions. As I recall, I was to see my GP within the first week as it was the GP who would arrange for the blood monitoring and determine the Coumadin levels, and also check out how the incision was healing. I had dissolving stitches. I was to see my Card about 4 weeks post op and the Surgeon in 6 - 8 weeks. Of course, they recommended I book all these appointment ASAP to get into their busy schedules.

As in turned out, I came down with Pericardial Tamponade (fluid build-up around the heart and lungs resulting in conjestive heart failure) in week 3 so saw my Card and the Surgeon as an emergency, so the appoint "schedule" was thrown out. During my hospital stay I had lots of echos and X-Rays showing everything else post-op was on the mend so I never did see the Surgeon again, just the Card. My last visit with the Card, at about 6 months included an echo which was sent to the Surgeon, and now I won't see him again until a year from then.

I also had my Cath locally as my surgery was done in a different city. My Card, who is local, arranged it. Mine was done several months before the surgery.

Great job getting your questions answered and digging into the details.

As my old boss used to tell me, "The Devil is in the details."

It seems like there are no Devil's waiting for you. Your staff seems to be on top of it. But make sure you get that Coumadin issue resolved.

Cheers,

Adam

I'm getting a pig valve, but from everything I've read here and elsewhere, I thought they put you on coumadin for about 3 months. Maybe you only have to be on blood thinner for that first week in the hospital.

That lady I talked to isn't a doc, but she sure seems to know everything they do. She is the "patient secretary" for the surgeon.

I'll get the answers, but that call was really reassuring.

67walkon said:
I'm getting a pig valve, but from everything I've read here and elsewhere, I thought they put you on coumadin for about 3 months. Maybe you only have to be on blood thinner for that first week in the hospital.

That lady I talked to isn't a doc, but she sure seems to know everything they do. She is the "patient secretary" for the surgeon.

I'll get the answers, but that call was really reassuring.

Justin was never on coumadin or any other blood thinner (carpenter Edwards PE bovine) the doctors at Children's hospital of Phila do not put you on any for tissue valves,, and neither did the doctors at the other hospital he is seen at.

Coumadin is not a blood thinner. It is an anticoagulant. It does not change the viscosity of the blood at all. Only how it clots. I know this sounds nitpicky and maybe it is, but calling it something that it isn't, makes it sound terrible.

I always thought it was standard to be on some form of anticoagulation therapy post valve replacement regardless of the valvle because until your body is able to cover the sutors, you risk clot... I might be totally wrong in the reasoning, but I do remember them explaining that it had to do with my bodies adjustment to the valve or something.

I was on Coumadin for about 8 weeks post op. I have a tissue valve. They started with heprin?? in the hospital, and then started me on a coumadin dosage. I had to go in a few times a week, to check the INR for the first two or three weeks. Before I knew it I was off of it. Also, it wasnt horrible, and never noticed I was taking anything. I woudlnt let it concern you too much.

Good luck, and best wishes with the surgery! :)

Latest posts

Back