Insect repellent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old clicker

I was out for my bike ride today, and came back with a touch of sunburn, and two mosquito bites. I thought that a sunblock with inscet repellent in it would be a good idea, so I googled sunblock with Deet (deet being the best repellent). I got links that say deet causes some kind of brain damage, and is absorbed into the skin faster if used with skin block. I think this was an old study, because I reworded it differently and came up with a bunch of sites that said its Ok to use if it is less than 30%. Does anyone have any idea where to look for the latest studies, and which ones to believe?

I think you are right about the old study. Here in NW Fl we have mosquito control trucks spraying through the summer months. It's woody and wet where we live - lots of springs and forests. We are told to use repellents and to be sure they have deet in them. As for UV & deet, I don't know about that. that's a new one on me.

Has anyone tried the shirts that have insect repellent in them? Just wondering if anyone's had first-hand experience. I get eaten alive, and honestly I loathe insect repellent. Thought maybe one of those shirts might be a good investment unless they're really really hot & don't breathe, or something.

Insect repellant in shirts? Never heard of them.

I did receive a magazine this week that advertised shirts that have UV protection in them - and pants. It was for men's clothing and was from Travel (something). Very expensive, tho.

Seems some of us attract mosquitoes more than others. We shouldn't wear bright colors, scents, hair spray, etc. They are after us if we do.

hensylee said:
Seems some of us attract mosquitoes more than others. We shouldn't wear bright colors, scents, hair spray, etc. They are after us if we do.

They seem to come after me with a passion, maybe because I always get big welts where I'm stung. It wouldn't be so bad if they would only sting me on the biceps, it would make me look like a body builder.

My family, too, gets the welts or hard, long-lasting bumps. Just nasty, nasty reactions to mosquitoes. For some reason, mosquitoes just do not like me. I actually remember once sensing one on my forearm, lifting my arm to look, getting eye to eye with the bug. He stuck his stinger in me, and then retracted it and flew away. (I swear he looked queesy!! :p ) I wish I could bottle up what I taste like......they sure don't like it!!

I brought home a green plastic coil bracelet from a garden store which claimed to ward off mosquitoes. We have a creek down below and I thought it might give my husband some extra protection while doing the yard. I have no idea if he even tried it. Probably not.

I have seen those shirts, but do not know if they work. Somewhere they sell netted hats, too. Maybe Ann meant Travel Smith. they have an online catalog.... travelsmith.com

Good luck, folks. Keep the Benedryl lotion handy for the bug bites!

Marguerite

Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and Gander Mountain catalogs have a lot of interesting bug equipment and clothing, often at reasonable prices.

DEET is pretty nasty stuff, and it does enter the skin. It's a mutagen and a carcinogen, among other things. You're not supposed to use it directly on children. Brain damage is possible.

They used to sell it in small bottles at 100% strength (I still have some). The problem is that it is far and away the best insect repellent there is, but it requires being applied thoroughly to work.

Rock...Hard Place

Best wishes,

yes, it was Travel Smith. They have really nice stuff. Bought my son some of the underwear and my daughter a shirt and skirt - for Christmas. Told my son he was to wear his underwear only with his good clothes!:D

there was a report on TV this weekend about mosquito stuff. They said the shirts are no better than any other shirt - after the first washing. they studied many preparations and said that any product should have deet for best repellant. (repellancy??)

Those coil bracelets do work. I've taken them to girl scout camp with my daughter. I feel much better putting that bracelet on her than slathering her skin with chemicals. They had a smell to them, but not too bad unless you had your wrist up near your face.

We grow BIG mosquitos here in Alaska!

Skin so soft from Avon...Been used for years to get skitters away...and the Absorbine/jr...(since 1892)....for relief from insect bites.... (alone with hundreds of others uses.) ..sore muscles, arthritis..and hot, itchy feet.:D Reading from front label..Love it. don't have to put it on your hands .has the rolling top.......Bonnie

Ann, thanks for posting about the tv report on the shirts. Definitely will forego those! Guess it's DeepWoods Off for me again.

Latest posts

Back