INRatio vs. CoaguChek

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

I am 16 days now since valve replacement and I am definately moving to home monitoring which my cardiologist fully supports. However, he does not have much information of which brand is best. I have done initial web research on INRatio and CoaguChek. For those who have made the decision I am wondering what you chose and why.

UPDATE AS OF 3/19: Purchased the INRation and love it. Tested my wife and the reading was 1.0. Testing at my doctors office with similar pin prick instant results: Doctor's reading was 3.1 and INRation was 3.0.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Monitors

Monitors

Hi Tom,

I use the InRatio monitor. The primary reasons I chose it related to information other members posted here and the fact that it's what the staff in my cardio doctor's office recommended it.

I don't recall seeing a negative report on either machine on the forum. Members have reported negative issues with another brand of machine which seems (from reports) to last about three years before needing replacement or overhaul.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with InRatio or Coaguchek. You cannot believe how easy home testing is.

-Philip

I have the INRatio. But I don't think you can go wrong with either machine. You will love home testing. If insurance is paying for it - sometimes they make the decision for you. The ProTime is also good (the 3rd possibility) - but I had one for 3 years prior to my INRatio and I love the INRatio so much more. Besides the fact that it's less than 1/2 the size, it's much easier to test with.

Good morning,
Your veins will sigh relief over your decision to home test.
After learning about home testing on this site I contacted various hospital-based anti-coagulation clinics. Their recommendation was the Coaguchek--I can't recall why. Because I was trained in a hospital setting my PCP agreed came on board.
Most patients are happy with their monitors.

TomD:

You can get a comparison of the INR machines at QAS' website.

One of the main differences is that test strips for the INRatio are good at room temp for 1 year; for 18 months for CoaguChek. The INRation stores 60 test results; the CoaguChek, 100 results. This would be good for a medical practice, but not really crucial for home-testing.
Both machines are about the same size (you can click onto the professionals' side of the website and get technical details; tech specs are not included in the patients' information).

My PCP has completed paperwork so I can get an INRatio in the next couple of months. I have had a ProTime 3 since November 2003 and it's still going good. However, I'd like a unit that runs on replaceable batteries and which is smaller.

Wish I had enough extra vacation time to fly down to Orlando and "test drive" :D the CoaguChek and INRatio.

I have the new Coaguchek XS since last year. Features are:
-All supplies are ordered through my pharmacy.
-The machine has quality controls built into it as well as a computer chip which comes with each batch of strips; this is inserted into the side of machine.
- Batteries are re-placeable and just pop in, they last a long time.
-Strips come in a protective sealed tube, good at room temp.
-Only one drop of blood is needed; touch it to the side of strip and it is drawn into the machine.
-Advanced technology....made in Germany.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe the coaguchek requires less blood on the test strip. You touch the side of the strip an it draws the blood in.

So why does the Coaguchek XS come with a computer chip for each test strip batch? I just learned that in another thread. INRatio has a batch number that you program into the machine with the first strip you use from that batch. I wonder if that's the same type of thing.

Karlynn said:
So why does the Coaguchek XS come with a computer chip for each test strip batch? I just learned that in another thread. INRatio has a batch number that you program into the machine with the first strip you use from that batch. I wonder if that's the same type of thing.
Yes, it is a batch number that matches the strips and records the expiry date etc.
There is no chance of an error once you pop in the computer chip.

Karlynn said:
According to my source, no it's not the same.

When I received my third vial of XS strips from the drug store for the same batch number--100--I contacted Roche to determine if it was adviseable to use the same code chip because the batch number was the same.

Absolutely not--always use the code chip packaged with the strips.

I got Coaguchek XS in January, love it; have nothing but labs to compare it to. However, I contacted Roche directly, got a 50% off coupon from them, and the name of a local pharmacist who is trained and certified to sell them. Here in Canada, we need a prescription for the machine, so have to go through a pharmacy. Not sure what it is like in USA.

50% off coupon for XS

50% off coupon for XS

netmiff said:
I got Coaguchek XS in January, love it; have nothing but labs to compare it to. However, I contacted Roche directly, got a 50% off coupon from them, and the name of a local pharmacist who is trained and certified to sell them. Here in Canada, we need a prescription for the machine, so have to go through a pharmacy. Not sure what it is like in USA.
Just how lucky can you get? Good for you. Just think how many strips the difference in price will buy. It seems Roche is getting aggressive with their marketing. How much did you have to pay? I'm thinking of getting a spare because you just never know.

Lance,
I called a rep in Montreal last summer and was offered the coupon for a $500 discount. It arrived in the mail a few days later, my doctor needed to sign it, and then when I went to the pharmacy for my machine, I paid $495.

I was just reading through some of these posts and would like to comment on the cost of the Coaguchek XS. When I was inquiring about the cost with QAS, they told me the machine was $2495. If the insurance would not cover the machine, I could buy one from them at a discount and pay $1600.

My insurance company allowed the purchase, QAS charged the insurance the full $2495, I had to pay my $200 deductible and the 80/20 difference. I ended up paying $700.

Seeing that Bina paid $495 after a $500 rebate, it just seems so wrong that people have to pay so much more money. I sure that the cost, even if insurance pays some, makes it prohibitive for some people to home test.

On a good note, there is always good info here. I would have used the same chip in the machine with a new box of strips because all the boxes have the same code number (101). Thanks Lance for pointing that out to change the chip.

Evelyn

I second Evelyn's thanks to Lance for pointing out that we should change the chip with every new box of XS strips.
Like everyone else, we were using the same chip when the boxes had the same code / lot number.

EJ

Hello

We have been fortunate enough to have 3 machines.....the protime, coaguchek (not XS) and now the INRatio. By far, the INRatio is the easiest to use.....imho. It uses very little blood, the checking is built into the machine, all you have to do is type in the batch number/letters, and it seems to be the most accurate---to me at least---of all three.

I definitely would NOT recommend the protime....we had tons of problems with it and I didn't think it was very reliable....again just my opinion. The Coaguchek was great except they recalled all the strips and it was a nightmare as to when they were going to be replaced. During the "recalled strip era" our cardio (who had the Coaguchek) switched over to the INRatio. We, luckily, were able to get a third monitor through our insurances and opted for the same......NOT A COMPLAINT IN THE WORLD!!!!

Good luck making your decision.
Evelyn

Latest posts

Back