INR=1.6! Yikes!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkicar

Hello all! I know I've been laying low lately, reading some and hardly posting.

Went to my PCP today, and when I had labs done, asked to get an INR checked too since it has been 6 weeks since my last check. Whew! Glad I did, since it came back a 1.6. I went longer between checks than I should have because I've been very stable lately; in fact, my last on was on the high side, a 3.4.

I was sick last Friday and Saturday, some GI bug, didn't eat anything but toast and drink ginger ale.....I did take my coumadin, though! I've had cranberry/pomengranate juice the last two mornings. And I had some foot surgery 10 days ago (just toenail stuff) so had been taking tylenol 3, about 1 a day, for pain.

So which of these scenarios should I remember in the future as wreaking havoc on my INR? They changed my dosing from 5 mg x 4 days and 7.5 mg x 3 days and flipped it (7.5 4 days and 5 3 days). Is that enough? I WILL go get it checked again next Monday.

Thanks guys!

Unless the GI problem caused vomiting or diarrhea, it is unlikely to have decreased your INR. Tylenol should not cause a change either. Were you on antibiotics for the foot surgery?

Is there a chance the test might have been wrong?

geebee said:
Unless the GI problem caused vomiting or diarrhea, it is unlikely to have decreased your INR. "

Uh, not to get too descriptive, but the latter, and lots of it.

Tylenol should not cause a change either. Were you on antibiotics for the foot surgery?

"Is there a chance the test might have been wrong?"

I wondered this too, after such a huge drop. I'm off tomorrow and I'm tempted to go down to my cardio's office and get it checked to confirm.

Hi neighbor....If my math is correct they are taking you from 42.5mg to 45mg. That doesn't seem enough to take your INR up from 1.6. I also agree that the test might have been suspect.

Diarrhea can cause an INR to drop because it can prevent the absorbtion of the coumadin. However, I would just double check the results. You might find it already climbing since you are feeling better.

Hello Carolyn,

Whenever I see an out of range result, I always wonder if it was a Bad Test. Getting a repeat test would not be a bad idea.

Have you thought about getting a home test instrument?
Even if you continue to use your Coumadin Clinic or manager, it can be comforting to have the home test unit for a 'second opinion' in times like this.

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

I wasn't able to get a recheck before I went back to work today. So will wait until Monday to see if I'm back in range. I think it may have really been low, just a hunch on my part. But considering they had to stick me 4 times to get the blood draw, who knows!
I wouldn't mind having a home testing machine, I'm just not sure my insurance would cover it (or maybe the right way to say it is consider it medically necessary).
Ross, I'd have asked you to come nurse me but I figure you're pretty work out nursing Chris!

perkicar said:
I wasn't able to get a recheck before I went back to work today. So will wait until Monday to see if I'm back in range. I think it may have really been low, just a hunch on my part. But considering they had to stick me 4 times to get the blood draw, who knows!
I wouldn't mind having a home testing machine, I'm just not sure my insurance would cover it (or maybe the right way to say it is consider it medically necessary).
Ross, I'd have asked you to come nurse me but I figure you're pretty work out nursing Chris!

OUCH !!! 4 sticks ??? Fingers or veins ???

As a Nurse, surely you know to drink plenty of water before going for your test so that you will be better hydrated and have lots of blood flowing around...

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back