Information about tricuspid valve and mitral valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

I need some information about tricuspid valves. I have been told that mine is moderate/severe and regurgitates. What are some of the symptoms? I also have the mitral valve in the same situation. I have blockages with symptoms, so I do not know if I would recognize the valve symptoms.

Marilyn, there aren't very many of us on here who have had our tricuspid valves operated on. It is the least operated on valve...less than 10% or so. I don't know if telling you my sympotoms before my tricuspid valve replacement would be relavant to anything you may be experiencing because I have a congenital heart condition that has other issues as well and I'm not sure which issues where causing my problems. Just know that if your tricuspid needs to be replaced instead of repaired, a tissue valve is favored over a mechanical one due to issues with clotting. If you have any more specific questions, I will try and answer.

Kim

Marilyn,

My mitral valve was mod-severe with regurg. One obvious symptom was, if someone put their ear on my chest, they could hear my heart go "lub-swishh" or "lub-squeak" instead of "lub-dub." For a long time, that was about the only symptom I had, except if I'd really exert myself in very hot weather, my vision would kinda go dark.

I think I remember early on, my cardio saying something about a noticeable difference in blood pressure between the right arm and left arm numbers.

When my regurg got bad enough to need surgery, I started getting fatigued and short of breath, with fluid retention and swelling in my extremities.

If you have more mitral questions, I'll try to answer.

I have done a lot of reseach on TVR as of late as I recently had my mitral valve repaired and was left with an increase in residual TR. Prior to MVR, my TR was "trace", given my surgeon absolutely no reason to repair it. However, my two month post-op echo indicated moderately-severe TR with moderate PH. I just spoke with my surgeon and he said this should subside by 6 months post-op, however, it may not. I guess I just have to wait and see? From my research, TR is common, especially with MVR. It was thought that IF you repaired the left-sided lesion (MV or AV), the TR would improve. THIS isn't necessarily the case. In fact, many centers/surgeons advocate for cocommitant repairs (fixing the TV at the same time as MV or AV) despite the level of regurgitation IF the TV annulous is 3.5 cm or greater as if there is dilitation, it's been found that TR will presist in 40% of patients. Late TR after MVR or AVR has a poor prognosis and this is why many surgeons are becoming much more agressive with this. My first question to your surgeon/cardiologist would be, "What is my TV annulous dialated to?" Again, if it's equal to or greater than 3.5cm many surgeons will repair it at the same time regardless of the level of regurgitation. Very interesting stuff. I urge you to go on line and type in "progression of TR after mitral valve repair." Again, there was no reason for my surgeon to repair my TV as the level of regurgitation was only trace and my TVA didn't meet the 3.5cm or greaqter criteria my surgeon uses. However, I find it interesting that it went from trace to moderately-severe post MVR. Again, this can improve, as it often does, but there really is no way of knowing for certain. Let me know if you need any information. I have a lot of articles from various medical journals on the subject as my brother is a physician and has access to them...many of these you have to pay for...which sucks and adds up. Good luck to you!

Dee

Dear Dee,
I will have to find out some information on my valves. I am not sure of the numbers. Also, what does TR stand for? I am not too well informed as you can see. I really would like to get more information.
Marilyn

Marilyn,

TR is short for Tricuspid Regurgitation (Leaky Tricuspid Valve). Sorry. I know how it is, when I first got hit with all this my head was spinning...but after a while it starts making sense and I've found my self-directed research to be imperative as much of what I was told was just plain WRONG. Unfortunately, we need to be on our toes with our care as even my brother, an Oncologist at Johns Hopkins, admits that much of it is a guessing game. Scary, but true. Please let me know if I can help you in any way. As I mentioned, I've obtained a lot of information on the subject of MR and TR (Mitral Regurgitation & Tricuspid Regurgitation). Take care and good luck! Dee

Pre-op I had severe tricuspid valve regurgitation, my symptoms were
worsening shortness of breathe,dependent lower extremity edema of both
legs(dependent is when the water builds up during the day while you are
on your feet,it goes with gravity and accumulates when leg is 'dependent')
this edema is usually better in the morning and gets worse thru the day. Its
best to keep legs elevated,and walking is better than standing. Sometimes
lasix may help,also drinking less water,eating less salt,and keeping active.
The more fluid that accumulates the harder your heart has to work. As my
condition progressed I began to get arrhythmias - usually atrial ones with
a tricuspid problem,they call these SVT's or SUPRA ventricular tachycardias,
though these are not ventricular tachycardias since supra indicates "above".
You do not want to wait for this to occur as when this starts to happen
it means that the cardiac tissue has either beem damaged or changed
in some way-atleast this was the case with me.
Other people may get orthopnea or difficulty breathing when lying down,
some may need 3 pillows to breathe easier while sleeping at night. I did not
have this and it may be more related to left sided conditions such as mitral
valve regurg. Cant think of many more except that the fluid can also
accumulate in abdomen and lungs,making breathing difficult also.
wishing you the best- Dina

Dear Deek,
I would really like some information on the TR and MR valves. I am not sure about the information that I have been given. My problem is I have so much blockage that they can't seem to deal with at this time, plus I have grafts that have filled up 50% or maybe more by now. I am not sure I would recognize symptoms of the valves. One is moderate/severe, and the other one is moderate - I think.

I had my tricuspid repaired with an annualplasty ring and my pulmonary valve replaced with a bovine valve. My symptoms were SOB, swelling, arrythmias. I am not sure if these were caused by both of them or just the pulmonary.

Latest posts

Back