infective endocarditis!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, that's horrible you had to go through all that. But you've inspired me ... I have a cracked back tooth that the dentist put a metal band around about a month ago ... it's been hurting again and I've been 'meaning' to go but haven't as it will probably mean root canal or extraction. But you're post just made me call the dentist and I'm going today as an emergency appt. So thanks!

So how to prevent it? The key seems to be mouthwash before brushing or flossing, then wait five minutes before you brush/floss. I really wish I'd been told this little nugget of advice after the first operation, but maybe some of you can benefit from it now!!!

Wow. Thanks for the information and for sharing your experience, even though it had to have been shocking for you. This drives home the point much more succinctly than hearing the doctors talking about things to watch for.

And just adding ... went to dentist today ... he was happy to extract tooth given it was hurting again and root canal work wouldn't guarantee solution. He took the (BIG!) tooth out and we could see the crack in it ... no doubt a very nice recipe for infection down the track. So now I have a hole in my gum, am taking painkillers, and am glad it's over with!
So thanks for the unintentional kick up the bum to do something :)

I had endocarditis and no one has mentioned mouthwash to me, just using little brushes between my teeth. I am not permitted to use my private dentist any longer, I have to see the dental surgeon at our hospital dental department for my checks and treatment, in fact I am to go later this month just for a check-up. I was told that I am too high risk with my previous endocarditis and my two mechanical valves added to a history so far of six tooth absesses, none recent thank goodness.

I am so happy that you came through this and are doing well. Thanks also for the info on mouth bacteria. I just went for my 6mo cleaning, and no one has mentioned any ways to prevent BE. Having had it, and loosing my 8 1/2 yr old mech valve to it, I am just thinking we could go crazy trying not to get endocarditis!! How about using a razor over and over, it's probably bad. And when my cat or puppy accidently bites or scratches me? Walking barefoot, even just around my house? It could go on and on. Mostly, I try not to let it get to me.
Now, every time I get a puncture of my skin, I run for the antibiotic ointment! This forum is good for one thing, letting others know the symptoms of endocarditis. Supposedly, only 1% of the population get it, and then your risk of getting it again only goes up 1%.
That's good to know, but still not very comforting once one has had it, without really knowing how they got it.
I am glad that my cardio has given me his personal cell phone #, in case I get a fever in the future, and I'm to call him right away.
For me , that's very comforting. Sorry to the rest of you that have never had endocarditis, because I think this info would bother me if I had never had it. Heck, it bothers me even though I've had it!!!

For many years, I've rinced with imitation (cheap) Lysterine mouthwash before using Stim-u-dents then brushing. Not specifically thinking about BE, it just seemed to make sense, and seemed to help the toothpaste and t-brush do their jobs. It also makes sense that the Alcohol and the bitter (antiseptic) herbs should help reduce the transmission of mouth bacteria into the bloodstream through cavities or bleeds and scratches, etc. I'm not sure I'm going to add the 5 minute wait, though, since my 2x/d personal-hygiene routine already seems to take WAY long!

This strikes me as the sort of thing that will probably be found significantly beneficial (or maybe not) in a randomized trial or a big Framingham-style population study. Maybe 5 or 10 years from now!

A propos of Web forums and medical research: I was just listening to a podcast of Australia BC's _The Health Report_ with Norman Swan -- a wonderful weekly radio health show, available online, too. I don't even remember the exact topic, but there was a woman with a rare condition who was frustrated by how little her fancy doctors knew about it. So she went online and "met" several dozen other women with the same condition. Later, when she mentioned her new "friends" with her doctors, it led to an actual medical study, with ~60 patient-subjects having been found through that same patient's web contacts! (I forget now if it was through a forum, or FB, or Twitter, or what.) That was apparently the first example of this kind of thing happening, but I hope it won't be the last!

Reactions: Amy
WOW...what a story Ski Girl and all of you fellow endocarditis survivors.

I had endocardits before my first OHS in 03', and it wreaked havok on my Aortic and Mitral valve. I have to tell you, the fear of catching endocarditis again still is a strong feeling. I go in Tuesday for my second OHS..(Just time 9.5yr on my tissue valves).

Latest posts

Back