infant heart murmer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyn,
Thanks for asking... His name is Gregory James Glover. He is names after both his grand father and great grandfather. Something I'm pretty high on.
It's funny how life expierences change people. Had of this came up prior to my OHS it would have been 'oh well, we'll get it looked at when convienent'. Now we have all gone kind of crazy and probably overreacted.
I do want to thank all of you for your kindness and prayers.
I'm quite sure all will be OK Friday. I'll certainly be sure to post what I know as soon as I know.
Thanks again,
Greg

ps.
Lyn,
Justins story is great. I suspect he has wonderful parents.

Greg............

Greg............

Can't offer much more than has already been given, but did want to reassure you that if this was anything really serious, very pronounced symptoms would have already been obvious - poor weight gain, a smurfy blue tint, poor oxygen sats (Katie's dipped from 92 at birth to 72 within her first two weeks; at that point she had her first surgery, the BT shunt), severe reflux, etc.

Try not to panic. If you start researching now, you are just going to drive yourself nuts. Keep the ped card appointment. If y'all don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis, seek out a second opinion. One step at a time.

Hopefully, this is just a benign little murmur that is no cause for concern, or just merits a yearly echo for monitoring purposes.

Hugs and please keep us posted. J.

Dont know if this will be any help to you Greg?

Its a very clear and comprehensive, patients guide to children's heart murmers.

It explains the different types and additional symptoms that may accompany the murmer if there is a cardiac condition causing it.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40002456/

Emma
xxx

Hi Greg.

Sorry to hear about your news. I don?t really know what to say to make you feel better, all you can do is wait until there is news from the cardiologist. Like everyone else kinda mentioned, it might just be nothing.

I was born with a heart murmur and had my first OHS at three months old (coartation), then at eight I had another OHS to remove tissue that was blocking my AV. My last OHS was last year (to replace my biscupid AV, but that is a whole other story how they ended up fixing that problem) so I know that dealing with heart problems starting out young can be very hard to handle. But, luckily now everything is going well and I am feeling great. People make comments to me on how much I have handled over the years, but it?s just part of my life. I also just had a little boy two years ago, and I was very worried about his heart but the doctors and cardios all told me that there was a very low chance that he would have a heart defect just because I did. So hopefully that is a little encouraging for you.

Like I said, there is nothing anyone can tell you that is going to make you feel better until you hear what the cardio says, but just know that there are others who have delt with this so your not alone. Good luck to you and your family:) .

This just in.

This just in.

Gregory just finished his appointment. Bad news first, He has a bicuspid aortic valve. Good news is it doesn't look very bad right now. As long as regular check-ups go as expected he shouldn't have issues for years and years. It is probably heritary form either or both sides.. Now we have to get his Mom checked and find out for sure about her.
I don't know quite how to feel right now, but I think it's OK. Just hope he can settle with the name and heart condition and doesn't get my good looks too. This is something that we know how to get thru and who knows where advancments will be in fifty or so years.
Thank you all for your prayers and advice, and for listening.
By the way, his new doctor is Dr. Barry Marcus with the Az. Childrens Heart Center.
Thank you all again.

I'm glad if he has to have something more than an innocent murmur, that is is this. I know it is still scarey and not what you plan to hear about your new baby and grandbaby. What relief it is to have an answer instead of worrying and thinking of the worst things that could happen. Now spend lots of grand dad time With Gregory and enjoy. thanls for letting us know I've checked this thread alot today :)Lyn

Hi Greg. Sorry to hear that he does have a heart defect, but you are right, more then likely he won't have to worry about it for a long time. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve, and I just now had to get mine fixed and I am 25. (And that is only because of my high-risk pregnancy...so who knows how long i might have got to wait) but at least your finding this out now and everyone knows how to deal with it. Yes, tell his mother to find out what is wrong with her heart, it is so much better knowing what it is then to be kept in the dark. Good luck to you and your family.

I am sorry for your bad news. As a mother, I can imagine how hard it would be to have concerns for my kid's health. However, the good news is that there are so many heart "families" within this one; I can imagine no greater resource. Now that you know, you can be informed, proactive, and aware.

Best of luck to your family!

Greg...

You are so right...this is something that you and the Docs know much about. I too pray that he has no need for itervention for many many many years to come....

I myself made it to 42 before mine came back to haunt me and 2 of our 3 sons have absolutely no problems from theirs nor have they had to stop doing anything they love.

I pray young Gregory will live a long healthy and happy life.

Don't forget...it's entirely possible for a bicuspid AV to function fine for a lifetime, and many do. The important thing is that you know it is there so that you can keep tabs on it (and the aorta). My wishes are going out to you for a long and healthy life for your grandson!

Latest posts

Back