Incision question.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

So my incision has healed, or is close to done healing. Doctor and cardio are very impressed. However I started to notice today that at the bottom of it, maybe an inch and a half up from the bottom of it, it has become SUPER sensitive, there has been no burning sensation really, no redness, and it's not really ON the incision, it's like the outer lines of the incision, if that makes sense?

But this is new and just started to notice it today. Is this common or normal or should I get it checked out. The rest of my incision is fine, it's just this part.

Thanks.

I'd think if it were infected you would notice increasing swelling below the skin. Probably also increased redness to the incision. For now, I'd just forget about it and remember to check for redness and swelling once for the next few days.

When I've had "interesting" pains along my incision, the nurse I speak with thought it was probably due to regeneration of nerves...maybe that could explain it?

I expect oddities, but this is just something different. My incision has been somewhat sensitive around the area since surgery. However after further inspection there is some slight swelling, and have had some abnormal pains to the left and right of the area that has my concern. I talked to my Cardiologist and I'm not suppose to see him till June after what I explained to him he wants me to come in tomorrow for some tests. Which is good, but last time I saw him I was waiting in a room for 6 hours, no exaggeration either. Than again somebody came in with a heart attack that he had to attend to so that could of been why. I hate going to the doctor if I don't need to. But my cardiologist is the type of guy that would say its just blah blah blah and say dont worry. He obviously heard something he didn't like to bring me in so quickly. I'm really hoping its not infected. I only use water to clean my incision, only used soap twice in the hospital. So I worry..

Ovie,

It is better to cleanse your incision with soap and water daily. Make sure you rinse the soap well.

The below is from CC Website: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/recovery_ohs.aspx

"To cleanse the incision site:

Use regular soap, not perfumed soap or body wash. Don’t try a new brand of soap during your recovery.
Place soapy water on your hand or washcloth and gently wash the incision(s) up and down. Do not rub the incision(s) with a washcloth until the scabs are gone and the skin is completely healed.
Do not apply ointments, oils, lotions, salves or any other product to your incision unless you have been specifically told to do so.

Call your doctor if signs of infection appear:

Increased drainage or oozing from incision
Increased opening of the incision line
Redness or warmth around the incision
Increased opening of the incision line
Increased body temperature (greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius)
If you have diabetes and your blood sugar levels begin to vary more than usual
Relief of pain ....?"

Last edited:
Best to get it checked. The bottom part of my incision didn't heal how I thought it should and I kept bugging the surgeon about it. I went in and they cleaned it out and took a sample, the whole while saying "oh it's nothing, I'm sure it's not infected". I went in to get the results and they told me it was infected with a super-resistant strain of bacteria and were tossing around the idea of admitting me to the hospital! Imagine that! They ended up sending me home with major antibiotics and a wound vacuum I had to cart around for 6 weeks.

Hope your appointment went well!

Hypersensitivity

Hypersensitivity

Several weeks following my AVR, my chest became hypersensitive in a circular area about 9" wide centered on my incision. My family doctor explained that this is a part of the healing process for some people. She said that for some of us, the brain must reintegrate the healing nerves that were traumatized by surgery. Immediately after surgery the nerves involved may not have been functioning at all. As the brain tries to "recalibrate" their signals it may begin by interpreting every signal as pain. There was no redness, no swelling, no sign of infection, my skin just hurt.

The hypersensitivity did not seem to have the same intensity at all times of the day. For me this meant that a cotton T-shirt could feel like sharks skin at times, the new hairs growing out like barbed wire and cold water like hot. She suggested several routines that seemed to help. One was standing in the shower with warm water pelting the area. Another was to take objects with different textures and "gently" rub the sensitive area several times a day which is supposed to help the brain complete its recalibration. Happily, this went away as mysteriously as it started after about a month.

You do need to watch the area for any sign of redness or swelling which could indicate an infection and report that at once to your doctor.

My Surgeon also emphasized mild soap and water to clean the incision and no hard scrubbing.

Larry

Better safe than sorry, it was a long day since I had to go in before rehab, than do rehab, than go back to see my cardio after all on little sleep and no food.

However the verdict was, as he explained was when closing the incision, they kind of flap the bottom of it in some cases, and as it starts to heal becomes more sensitive than any other part of the incision. He showed me results from lab work and showed me numbers on certain things that would be up to fight whatever would be going on, among other things as far as number wise and what elevates and what doesn't if there is infection. He said everything looked good and wants to see me after Rehab. Although he told me to come in, when he could of said just keep an eye on it, I'm glad I did. So cool that everything turned out well.

Glad to hear it Ovie. Sounds like you have a great doc. Hope things are straight up for you from here on out.

Better safe than sorry, it was a long day since I had to go in before rehab, than do rehab, than go back to see my cardio after all on little sleep and no food.

However the verdict was, as he explained was when closing the incision, they kind of flap the bottom of it in some cases, and as it starts to heal becomes more sensitive than any other part of the incision. He showed me results from lab work and showed me numbers on certain things that would be up to fight whatever would be going on, among other things as far as number wise and what elevates and what doesn't if there is infection. He said everything looked good and wants to see me after Rehab. Although he told me to come in, when he could of said just keep an eye on it, I'm glad I did. So cool that everything turned out well.

So glad that you looked into it MANY TIMES it has been said "IF IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT"

Exactly, I'm usually not thrilled about making doctor visits either, but doctors orders. 9 times it may be nothing, but the 10th just may be. I feel like the boy who cried wolf sometimes though.

Latest posts

Back