Inadequate Blood Sample

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same machine and occasionally have the same problem. My hands must be warm and I'll squeeze my test finger while triggering the lancing device. This works about 90% of the time (for me) but it's tough to do without assistance.
'

Roger, I did warm my hand under warm water and squeezed my finger a lot...it could have been easier if I lifted the machine to my finger, but the instructions advise not to do that, while the nurse at my cardio's office last week uplifted the machine towards 'my blood' drops. The nurse said it did not matter to move the machine!! The results were the same on both machine.:)

I think it's not good to hold the m/c with you hand as it might be shaky or un-leveled. How about stacking some books on the table and putting m/c on it ? I could see the target spot better and less awkward.

I will also take the machine to my cardio and do the test myself there. Last week I took it to my cardio and the nurse did the testing on my machine and theirs and got the same results.

Eva:

When I received my ProTime 3 in late 2003, QAS notified my doctor's office that I was to bring in my machine and demonstrate that I was able to perform a test. A form came with the machine that the lab tech had to sign and fax to QAS.
Did you do this with your INRatio?

Hi Marsha,

OOPs! I thought I answered this:confused:!!

My cardio has the same machine, the trainer made me sign a sheet after she trained me and made me do it once in front of her.

I called QAS and they recommended I talk to Roche who might send me some extras, or can tell what is going on with the machine. If I still do not feel comfortable with the Coacucheck which I have, they may replace it for me, but will have to go through the whole procedure again with the insurance.

I hear that INRatio is easier to use and neither does require much blood! what is your experience?! or anyone's experience who used both machines--coagucheck and INR ratio.

Eva:

Marty has used both the CoaguChek and INRatio. Hopefully, he'll see your question and respond.
Don't know of any others who have had both, but there may be a few.

Do you have any of the capillary tubes -- look like tiny turkey basters :D -- that can be used to suck up the drops of blood and then deposit them on the testing strip? (Don't remember if you have already been asked this.)
If not, see if your doctor will give you one or two and try it. If it helps you, order some through QAS.

Eva:

Marty has used both the CoaguChek and INRatio. Hopefully, he'll see your question and respond.

Do you have any of the capillary tubes -- look like tiny turkey basters :D -- that can be used to suck up the drops of blood and then deposit them on the testing strip? (Don't remember if you have already been asked this.)
If not, see if your doctor will give you one or two and try it. If it helps you, order some through QAS.

Marsha,

You read my mind again...I thought when I go next week to my cardio, I may ask him if he could give me a couple of 'turkey basters' to try.

Thanks again.:)

Eva:

Marsha,

You read my mind again...I thought when I go next week to my cardio, I may ask him if he could give me a couple of 'turkey basters' to try.

Thanks again.:)

Not enough blood

Not enough blood

for a test and doctors are so concerned over a high INR and uncontrollable bleeding;).
From time to time I experienced the same problem with my old "S". I think the "XS" must have a stronger pump because it's much easier now.
During the winter I moisten a band-aid on the target area the night before I test. The moisture softens my skin causing the lancette to penetrate deeper.
May be that will help you.

I've gotten in late here but this is what I think. I love my INRatio. I got rid of my faithful old Coaguchek which I started with because it did not have "onboard" controls like the INRatio. The new Coaguchek does have them and I hear from multiple users that it is it is a fine monitor. You can't go wrong with either one- both equally good. Capillary tubes? very helpful and I used them for years but gradually found them not necessary. I do use Tenderletts. They take a shallow slice that you can hardly feel and give a good blood drop. I much prefer them to the puncture wound of the lancet.

Hi there,

I test my child with the ProTime and have run into this problem many times. Finally, I had my son's Cardiac Nurse help me. She previously worked in a kid's diabetic clinic. She showed me how to "milk" his hand, starting at the wrist and work my way down to the finger tip. It creates a nice hanging drop and I haven't had the problem since. Although I have had "too large of a sample" error reading which is beyond frustrating. I now make sure it is just 1 large drop and a smaller one. The "milking" may be easier since this is a 2 person job. My child is only 6.

Best wishes!
Theresa
Mom to Idrees with congenital heart defects and a St. Jude's mitral and homograft pulmonary (defective)

Latest posts

Back