In Chicago.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Tracy and I enjoyed the time we spent together in Greektown last night. It was nice to meet our new member Steve and his wife. Epstns 'pre-surgery'....gathering with our old and dear friends is a pleasure as always. Though, I think we need a round table for discussion next time! It seems we never have enough time to discuss what we want to.

Lorraine has been busy collecting brochures highlighting all of the activities available to us during the 2003 Chicago reunion. We will soon be busy assisting Hank in planning process.

It is wonderful to have the 'common bond' we share here at VR.com. Just meeting Steve proved how many people we really do assist and touch on a daily basis. It is a truly amazing feeling to be on the giving end.

Greatly looking forward to the Chicago reunion! Oh, and getting together again soon to sample the restaurants ahead of time.:D

PS. Lorraine. I am working or my response to your email. Haven't forgot about you;). We have a long drive out to Cary today. We will have to meet at the Squire sometime! Wasn't aware they have Saganaki. I will go lightly on the hairspray.:eek:

Gina,

You keep bringing up the hairspray and I just start laughing all over again. Too funny. Too bad you never went to The Suire when you lived out here. I like it the most because it's not a chain restaurant. There are only three, owned by brothers. One of the brothers owns the one in West Dundee and the other brother owns the two in McHenry and Crystal Lake. We will have to try and get there sometime. I know it's a long drive fro you because when I looked up mapquest to go to your house it said it was 38 miles to your place. Weather won't be too bad today though. Just cold! BRRR!

Yes, we did have a great time. As Gina mentioned we still still didn't have enough time to discuss everything we wanted too.

It was nice to meet Steve and his wife. We have formed yet another friendship and Steve's wife and I plan to get together and have lunch. She's works a few blocks away from me. Small world!

I felt so good being able to assist yet another vr.com member who is trying to gather his information for when he needs surgery. I love vr.com and all our members. We do have such a common bond and want to share whatever information we can with all who need it. I was so happy being in Greektwon last night with people I've met through this site. Two years ago I hadn't met any of themember there last night and now I feel like I've known you all my life!

I'm looking forward to the reunion and help planning it. The brochures should help a lot. Chicago is our hometown so of course we want to try and do it right!:D

I'll second that!

I'll second that!

Gina and Lorraine,
I'll second the declaration that it was a wonderful evening! On the way home Chris and I concluded that we don't get out enough -- and this was a great reason to go out to a place we don't see very often, and to meet all of you wonderful people. Maybe we should do it a few times a year <g>.

This sort of get together, one which puts faces and people with the names makes the family here at VR.com very real and very reassuring.

Just getting to meet everyone has helped me greatly in getting "centered" and back into a semi-normal life. I say semi-normal because one day last month, "normal" changed forever. With the help of all my new friends, though, I use words (and really feel this way) like "different" rather than "disaster" or "catastrophe" to describe it. The words "Thank You" cannot fully convey my gratitude.

Where are we going to go next? This thing could really snowball (especially with last night's flurries).

SteveE

Hmm...sure wish I coulda been there :(. Ah, well...mebbe next time...and, maybe we can meet somewhere not *all* the way into Chicago? Just a thought...............

Yes, meeting people is always good. I've met quite a few people from the Chevrolet Monte Carlo-related lists and message boards of which I am a member...and those first-hand, in-person encounters have really driven home the idea that we really are a family....

Food for thought....

Peace...Always,
Cort Stevens...pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
member, Faith COB, Batavia IL http://www.faithcob.org
My Chevy MC Family & Story = http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/cort
G1=1970-1972...72
G2=1973-1977...76
G3=1978-1980...79
G4=1981-1988...81
Ga=1995-1999...uh, no
Gb=2000-2004...00 ****FOR SALE****
G5=2005-200?...05...SS, wanted w/V8 & RWD
RIP: 1976=Parents' [my] car ... 1988=Silver Bullet
*****WANTED: 87 MC LS*****
http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/mcspotter/

How about Schaumburg? Seems to be a central location for everyone:).

Let's think about trying it again next month!

I thoroughly agree with the comment about not going all the way into Chicago. I grew up in Crete, just south of Cook County, but Chicago was never a place to go to, only through, since I went to school in Wisconsin. So this is my two cents that the August gathering be somewhere in the suburbs, north, south, or west doesn't matter, but not in the city.

One thought, if you go outside of Chicago, you might want to steer clear of the nothern suburbs as that is the Harley Davidson 2003 celebration in Milwaukee and I know motels are booked all over. We are staying just north of the state line ourselves with our large group gathering there from all points. Just a thought.

Reunion

Reunion

Hotel rooms have been blocked in the city. Pending Hank's approval, contract review and rate negotions.

If we have folks coming from all over the country, spending the time and expense to travel from overseas I as understand a few members will be coming that direction.....the downtown area is the place to be if you plan to do and see. :)

Hi Everyone

I think we got a little sidetracked on this post. When Gina mentioned Schaumburg, she was referring to our mini-reunion for the members who lived here. Like she said we have already blocked the rooms at a hotel in downtown Chicago for August. There is more do in the city, all in one centralized area. Outside the city we would have to drive from one town to another to co-ordinate a variety of activities to do. Am I not correct all you Chicagoan area members?

Cort: I felt bad when I read your post the other day. I was thinking of offering to come to Elgin to pick you up Saturday, but then I would have had to drive all the way back to Vernon Hills, since I was catching a ride with Perry and Kathie downtown. I don't like driving in the downtown area.. I work down there all week and between the crazy bus drivers and taxi drivers the traffic makes me nervous. So I apologize, even though you didn't know I was thinking of offering, for not offering to come and get you that day. As it turned out, the roads were nasty coming home because of the light snow we had. The expressways were the worse. Spinouts everywhere.

Sounds like Schaumburg would be a good place to meet next month. It would be great to meet you Cort and we have another member who said she would like to join us, Peggy.

JimL: Did you ever go to anything in Chicago? I lived right in the downtown area until I was 12 and we frequented the museums, Lincoln Park, the beaches, Riverview(of course thats no longer there), went fishing in Lake Michigan. Now that was all when I was a lot younger. They have so many activities and things to do down there now, to pique anyones interest. Navy Pier is a major attraction now since they redid the whole area. The Magnificent Mile is spectacular, the boat rides, the theatres, the shows, Comedy Theatres, Blues Clubs, our Chicago Style Pizza and Hot Dog places, Shopping on State, the The Hancock Building, Sears Tower, The Observatory, etc, etc... I could go on and on. Again like Gina said, with everyone traveling from all over, Downtown Chicago would be the best place to be. There are places outside the city, but like I said, we'd be traveling from one town to the another to to anything. Now I've put my two cents in too! Believe me I think you'll like what Hank, Gina, Perry and I plan. We know we can't please everybody but we'll do our best.

Gina,
You guys are doing a great job and I'm looking forward to the reunion! This should be one of the best!

I feel a bit responsible for the "off-track" of this thread....when I mentioned meeting somewhere "outside" Chicago...I meant the next gathering of us "Chicagoans"...not the reunion in August....

Gina...Schaumburg sounds like a great compromise...if that is OK with everyone else. It's not that I don't like going into Chicago, it's just that having made that trip "too many" times in the last few weeks (with another one planned for Feb 6), I don't really want to go all that way....I certainly don't mean to offend anyone.......

As for the reunion in August...I do think that Chicago is the best place for it. Jim, Chicago has a lot more to offer to do than the suburbs, unfortunately. I, too, don't necessarily like the big city (altho, I have no problem with the downtown area of my favorite city...Nashville TN), but Chicago has so many things to do that it just makes sense to have the reunion in the city. Besides, we can always show people Children's Memorial, Northwestern, and, of course, Wrigley Field ;).

Lorraine, no worries. I ended up sleeping most of the day Saturday anyway. Plus, it was "one of those weekends" where all of my plans fell apart in front of my eyes...and I wasn't exactly up to meeting anyone..... I still haven't heard from the 2 friends who had planned to come see me this weekend, so I've no idea what is going on.... As I believe I mentioned somewhere in another post, I am just feeling a bit "abandoned" right now...and it is very frustrating :(.

Hi Cort,

Are you from Nashville? Great city, I agree. It's just the right size and squeaky clean. We lived in Memphis for 4 years. Three hours west and frequented Nashville often. Actulally, VR.com had a reuion there not too long ago.

Looking forward to meeting you soon. If Schaumburg works well for local gatherings, there is a large aray of resturants. It's the most centralized location I can think of. Anyone?

Les, we are all greatly looking forward to metting you in August. Your a true pioneer. I read your story on St. Jude prior to my MVR. It amazed me that you remained so active awterwards with your running. It was at that point I knew things would return to normal, if not better as they have.

Last edited:
Gina,

Nope...not from Nashville...born & raised right here in Elgin...and still here :(. Nashville is my favorite city...moved down there in September 1996, but had to come home b/c I didn't find a job :(. Ah...one day I'll get back down there permanently :). I do visit the area each year...have friends in Big Sandy TN and Jackson TN...so...stop at Nashville, too ;).

Yes...looking forward to meeting people ;). Oh my are there a lot of eating possibilities in Schaumburg.......hmmmmmmmmm...getting hungry just thinking about it ;).

Cort,

I was actually out there this AM. Yes, endless possibilities.
How would you like to choose the Schaumburg location when we all get together.? Sounds like your taste buds are trustworthy;). The only thing we really need is a 'round table' setting. Makes group conversation much simpler

Jackson?

Jackson?

Hey, Cort. Is Jackson TN still there? Many years ago (no, I won't admit how many) I used to "commute" to Humboldt, TN. for one week of each month. Humboldt is just a few miles down the road from Jackson, and since there were no decent motels in Humboldt, I always stayed in Jackson. Is the "Olde English" dining room still there? How about the "Ol Hickory Club?" Lots of great times down there, aren't there?

Gina - I also like the idea of Schaumburg. Easy to get there, and as you said, a great selection of restaurants. I don't think we could go wrong -- and by then maybe Cort can make it.

Later
SteveE

Questions?

Questions?

Jean..When is the Harley Rally in Wis.?....Thought about going thru there on the wy to Door County, Wis. to visit John's 96 year old cousin...still has a Martini before dinner.:D .....Anyone know..where is Montgomery outside of Chicago? John has a first cousin there. Planned on staying with him maybe the Thursday before Friday and let them drive us in to dinner.:) They would be our guest.....We will come in motorhome..standby passengers are a mess now..too much security.:mad: Just in case we want to drink and not drive..when will you be posting hotel and rates. Will all of you in Chicago be staying at hotel to get a lower rate? There are what? 5 of you?With this impending war situation times may be tough..if they aren't already:mad: ....Let me know ..anyone..about how far Montgomery, Ill. is from downtown? Thanks, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,

Hi Bonnie,

I am a Chicago native and had to do a mapquest to see. I knew it wasn't real close. About 45 miles. That could equate to and hour or maybe 1-1/2 - 2 hours if traffic is bad.

We are working diligently on the hotel rates. . It looks like it will be the Holiday Inn City Center downtown Chicago. Lorraine'
feels we can do a tad bit better on the rate quoted.
I feel it may be a possibility as the same group rate quoted is on Orbitz if you prepay. Plan to mention that when I call in tomorrow to see if we can lower it.

Like any large city, Chicago is kind of pricey any way you slice it. The initial rate quoted was $129. Which, if you do a search for our dates you will see most hotels in the downtown area are well over $200 a night. Which is out of the question. If you stick near the airport not too much lower at $99+. Anything under that you may find yourself in an undesirable location if you catch my drift.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I laughed a bit nervously as I was reading some of the responses since my last post on this topic, as I realized that, as of late, most of my posts (if not all) have not exactly been "heart-related"....aye....

At any rate......

Gina...hmm...trustworthy...he he he...better be careful ;). Seriously, tho...I'd hate to choose something that not everyone likes...LOL. I mean...I know you can't please *everyone*, but I'd like to try ;). Yes...round table would definitely be best.... *let the thinking begin*...he he he

Steve...yep, Jackson is still there...I have a couple friends (hubby & wife) from college who live there...and at least one guy I know through some of the MC-lists is there, too. If it's been a while since you've been there, Jackson has changed quite a bit, according to my friends. It is a HUGE place now ;). As for the places you mentioned...I don't rightly know...I'd have to ask my pals :). Hmmm...I've never been to Humboldt, tho I know (iirc) that Humboldt/Milan are north of Jackson....

As for the reunion in August...I may just have to "commute" back'n'forth from Elgin...because I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to afford the hotel....if only because I have quite a few trips planned this summer...some of which I've been told I "have" to attend...especially where my "baby girls" are concerned ;).

Thanks for allowing me to insert some thoughts I had and somewhat distract the subject of this thread.

If people are coming to Chicago for the first time, they probably want to see just how tall the buildings are, just how crowded the streets are, just how smoggy the air is, etc. Years ago, driving back to Illinois to visit relatives, while still in Indiana, my daughter saw smog over Gary, pointed to it and said, "Look! Chicago!"

Yes, I've been to see many places in Chicago. My sister used to work in the loop in the Standard Oil building. I well remember driving to a store in the loop to get a part for my bug, and getting stuck in the afternoon rush hour traffic. We stopped at the museum of science and industry a few years ago, and it is still well worth the visit, even though it looked like nothing had been maintained for years.

I will try to get over for part of the reunion, even in downtown Chicago.

I confess that I didn't realize the location had already been decided so definitely. Whatever decisions you have made are good decisions, and I don't mean to find fault with any of your hard work.

I look forward to being able to get to a reunion, but my goal will be to see people, not Chicago.

Last edited:
Wish I coulda been there

Wish I coulda been there

I really wish I could have been with you guys Sat. That was the night of my family-get-together. I have 5 siblings and believe it or not we all live within 15 miles from each other. My brother and his family just moved back from the Bay area last summer. So now we're all really close. We try to get together about once a month for dinner/games. It sounds like you guys had a good time. Maybe I can make it to the next one. I don't mind driving in the city if I know where I'm going. My husband doesn't like to drive up there. I don't know why, everybody always tells him he's number 1 when we go up there:D :D :D . I go up there alot in the spring. I don't like the Dan Ryan though. Schaumburg sounds like a great location. Please let me know what you decide.

Latest posts

Back