Impressions of sweets subsequent to AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

I've noticed that anything sweet has appeared so sweet to me now that I can't hardly eat it anymore. Any cereals that were slightly sweet prior to my AVR are so sweet now that I can't eat it. I bought some red twizzlers licorice today and it was so sweet I had to quit eating it. Also noticed that milk does not taste as good as it used to and has a slight metal taste to it.

On another subject, preliminarily it appears that I may have to have rotator cuff surgery soon. I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow and then an appt with ortho surgeon next week. I sure hope not.

I had issue with rotator cuff and went to see doc earlier this year after MRI. He told me it was a medium tear and I could try to live with it or he would do the surgery. He then told me 6 weeks off work, 6 weeks in a sling and no bike riding for 6 months. So, I told him I would try to live with it and so far am doing ok.

If yours is not too bad, see if you can try some rehab first and strenghten the shoulder.

I do have a friend who had it a few years back and she said her shoulder is super strong now. But she told me you have to be very careful during first few weeks to let it heal and not disturb it.

Let us know how appointment turns out.

I've noticed that anything sweet has appeared so sweet to me now that I can't hardly eat it anymore. Any cereals that were slightly sweet prior to my AVR are so sweet now that I can't eat it. I bought some red twizzlers licorice today and it was so sweet I had to quit eating it. Also noticed that milk does not taste as good as it used to and has a slight metal taste to it.

On another subject, preliminarily it appears that I may have to have rotator cuff surgery soon. I have an MRI scheduled tomorrow and then an appt with ortho surgeon next week. I sure hope not.

I also had an issue with things being too sweet post-surgery. At the suggestion of my PA, I drank my fruit juice watered down for a number of weeks.

At 9 weeks out, however, my taste buds and appetite are pretty normal. I haven't yet tried any alcoholic beverages because I am still have fatigue issues. I am pleased to report that the 7 pounds of weight that I lost while in the hospital for 4 nights have not yet reappeared. -- Suzanne

Some foods do not taste quite "right" after surgery, and I also avoided sweets.
These days I enjoy some sweets in moderation, but not any of the real "junky" candy type of stuff.
Also found that eating a very low sodium diet is the best :)

After my surgery, it took at least 2 full months before foods tasted "normal" again. Until that time, I ate a very boring diet because so many of my favorite foods tasted like some chemical gumbo that I just could not tolerate. Lost some weight, but gained it all back (and then some) as soon as taste returned to normal. I've been working on the weight (see us in Cooker's Throwdown thread), and food is once again normal, even if people say I am not. . . :')

ya everything i eat was bad but after my 2nd surgery i was told by the nurse i is because of a med. they give you to fight infection in my case i remenber it it was pink liqiud in a small cup.

Latest posts

Back