Imminent re-operation of heart valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust you're doing well after your surgery.
It's interesting about the K2/D3. I think there's something in it as there are ongoing research projects exploring its efficacy.

I also delved into the K2/D3 research and have been taking it for nearly 3 years daily. My experience has thus far been extraordinary, though I've made a significant amount of lifestyle changes along with the vitamins.

Roughly 3 years ago I was rediagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and a bicuspid valve. Today I have moderate Aortic stenosis trending towards mild.

3 years ago
Screenshot_2024-01-04-19-21-52-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-04-19-20-53-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last Imaging September 2023
Screenshot_2024-01-04-19-21-30-45_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Can't say it's definitely due to the K2/D3, but something appears to be working. I've gone from "needing surgery probably within the next 6 months" to being offered annual instead of biannual imaging.

Perhaps the vitamin regiment just works differently on different people, or the quantity taken plays a large role. It'll be interesting to see if anything is ever definitively proven about it.

Mitral clips (I have two) are generally used for leaking mitral valves. The leaflets are clipped together to tighten the valve. Valves that are tight already are not candidates for clipping. I had significant mitral insufficiency which was basically cured with two clips placed 7 1/2 yrs ago.

I'm in Australia. I was pressured to have a tissue (aortic) valve put in when I was 22yo (2000). I had to have it replaced (with a mechanical valve) when I was 27yo. During the second surgery there was damage to a pacing node and I ended up with heart block and needed a pacemaker. That was 18 years ago. Now I am facing surgery again because my pacing lead interferes with my tricuspid valve. I wish I had had a mech valve put in in the first place. The more surgeries you have the more risks there are. I've never heard the click of my valve, and warfarin is really not that big a deal. I find it weird that you were told you can't have a mech valve after a tissue valve, as the whole plan when they put in my tissue valve was that it would be replaced with a mech valve 'later'. I thought I would have longer than 5 years, though.

I also delved into the K2/D3 research and have been taking it for nearly 3 years daily. My experience has thus far been extraordinary, though I've made a significant amount of lifestyle changes along with the vitamins.

Roughly 3 years ago I was rediagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and a bicuspid valve. Today I have moderate Aortic stenosis trending towards mild.

3 years ago
View attachment 889760
View attachment 889762

View attachment 889761

Can't say it's definitely due to the K2/D3, but something appears to be working. I've gone from "needing surgery probably within the next 6 months" to being offered annual instead of biannual imaging.

Perhaps the vitamin regiment just works differently on different people, or the quantity taken plays a large role. It'll be interesting to see if anything is ever definitively proven about it.
I would love to hear exactly what you take and how much.

I have an On-X Aortic valve that replaced my severely stenotic bicuspid valve. I’m currently taking a combo of K1, K2, and D3 … along with CoQ10 and other stuff like Magnesium and a Multi (along with my prescription meds). Doing what I can to keep the plaque out of my arteries.

I would love to hear exactly what you take and how much.
I've been taking 500μg of K2 along with 5000IU of D3 and 125mg of vitamin E tocotrienols. I've also been taking a Hawthorn tincture (1mL) and drinking ~32oz of a hawthorn tea/infusion daily. I also take Cod liver oil (2 teaspoons) and coQ10 100mg. All of this I've taken every single day.

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/hawthorn
More recently I have also been inducing autophagy through intermittent fasting, which has shown some promise in reducing cell calcification.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...al study,with calcific aortic valve stenosis.
I found this idea of taking K2 fascinating, but looking at the science, it doesnt seem to show the effect.

Could you share your research that does show an effect?

There isn't much in the way of research that shows K2 as a miracle cure for AS, just a lot of studies that suggest that it might be beneficial. What started my interest in it was this page, which admittedly seems a bit a sketchy.

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2017/11/vitamin-k-and-arterial-stiffness
There are 62 citations on that page that provide some interesting reading on the subject.

Again, I can't point to any single change or supplement I've been taking that's responsible for my apparent reversal of the disease, but at this point it would seem that something is working. I've been tracking my numbers in excel and when I look at the whole picture it appears that things are going in the right direction.

1704477848682.png

So far I've had a 36% reduction in my peak gradient, a 31% reduction in mean gradient, 21% reduction in Vmax, and a massive 45% increase in my aortic valve area. LV dilation reversal and my last EKG showed no more signs of LVH, which corresponds with my echocardiogram data showing no evidence of such anymore. EF has remained between 60 and 70%, more recently I've had GLS added to the echocardiograms which is in the normal range.

This all culminated in my cardiologist suggesting I go to annual imaging instead of every 6 months last year, which I've chosen against for the time being.

Mitral clips (I have two) are generally used for leaking mitral valves. The leaflets are clipped together to tighten the valve. Valves that are tight already are not candidates for clipping. I had significant mitral insufficiency which was basically cured with two clips placed 7 1/2 yrs ago.
Correct however mitral stenosis can be addressed with a valvuloplasty through the groin. That’s the repair I had.

3 years ago
View attachment 889760
View attachment 889762

View attachment 889761

Thank you for writing about your experience with K2/D3. It doesn't seem too often that someone posts evidence where their heart valve gradients have dropped. This is really exciting and extraordinary. To go from being on the edge of needing surgery to a place where you are now only having to have an echocardiogram annually is great. I guess there are a few variables (in lifestyle changes and other things that you have introduced and changed in your diet) so you aren't able to conclusively say it is a result of the K2/D3. Research is still going on though into the K2 idea, so there must be a reason for it. I wonder if it depends on each person and whether they have a deficiency in K2. I don't eat fermented foods or meat so I think I am probably K2 low or deficient. I have been taking K2/D3 for about a month now. I am curious if my gradients will have lowered. I will find out when I have my surgery. As my gradient was 63 average a month ago, it won't have dropped enough to avert surgery (but it is a nice dream). I wish I'd known about K2 sooner. But maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. We'll see. If it has, I will mostly definitely be loading up on it after surgery

Here’s a couple of links with several further links within them about the benefits of vitamin K2 as MK7 with vitamin D3:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7238900/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34785587/
I’ve been taking 150 mcg of vitamin K2 as MK7 and 2,500 iu of vitamin D3 per day since about 2008, this is to help with both my bone health (I have osteoporosis) and my cardiovascular health - I originally read about the benefits of both K2 and D3 in 2008 in the blog that cardiologist Dr William Davis used to have. I’ve no idea how much difference they have made to my aortic valve, the calcification on my aortic valve at surgery was moderate but there’s no way to tell if it would have been more had I not taken the K2 and D3. Vitamin K2 is not harmful. Vitamin D could be harmful if blood levels too high but my levels of D are checked every six months by GP - they’ve always been in the optimal replete range of around 150 nmol/L (60 ng/ml). I also take omega-3’s 2000mg per day, originally prescribed by cardiologist to help reduce inflammation.

we all have to start somewhere ... I started when I was 10 (I didn't do much self learning then I can tell ya), but I have since.

Personally I'd be looking for the actual reasons the valve failed (for instance, calcification), I'd definitely get a second opinion as to a mechanical valve, and I'd seek clarification if you would have any issues with anticoagulation.

This post is quite distuirbing and in my view verges on malpractice that she wasn't properly informed about the risks in her specific case.

https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/up-date-re-op-has-anyone-gone-from-mech-to-tissue.884106/
Such situations are rare, but that may be what the cardiologist knows that we won't which precludes you from a mechanical valve.

More research needed I'd say ...
Best Wishes

PS; this was the thread that led to that thread
https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...-home-from-mech-to-tissue.883827/#post-883832
This is a horrible story. I hope she’s ok

Thank you Dick.
My surgeon has said that replacing my tissue valve with a mechanical valve isn't an option. Also, l don't want to have to take warfarin. Plus, l don't think l would cope very well with clicking noise.
I had my aortic valve replaced in 2000 (age 41) with a mechanical valve, and was initially bothered by the ticking. Then it reminded me of those little monkey toys with the cymbals and made me smile whenever I noticed it. Then in 2007 I had another OHS, this time to replace an aneurysm in the ascending arch. Since then I no longer hear the cymbals (although my daughter can still hear the ticking) It has been replaced with a thumping sound. The warfarin itself isn't a big deal, although all the coumadin clinics try and make you believe you will drop dead if not for their vigilance.

I've been taking 500μg of K2 along with 5000IU of D3 and 125mg of vitamin E tocotrienols. I've also been taking a Hawthorn tincture (1mL) and drinking ~32oz of a hawthorn tea/infusion daily. I also take Cod liver oil (2 teaspoons) and coQ10 100mg. All of this I've taken every single day.

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/hawthorn
More recently I have also been inducing autophagy through intermittent fasting, which has shown some promise in reducing cell calcification.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...al study,with calcific aortic valve stenosis.

There isn't much in the way of research that shows K2 as a miracle cure for AS, just a lot of studies that suggest that it might be beneficial. What started my interest in it was this page, which admittedly seems a bit a sketchy.

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2017/11/vitamin-k-and-arterial-stiffness
There are 62 citations on that page that provide some interesting reading on the subject.

Again, I can't point to any single change or supplement I've been taking that's responsible for my apparent reversal of the disease, but at this point it would seem that something is working. I've been tracking my numbers in excel and when I look at the whole picture it appears that things are going in the right direction.

View attachment 889767

So far I've had a 36% reduction in my peak gradient, a 31% reduction in mean gradient, 21% reduction in Vmax, and a massive 45% increase in my aortic valve area. LV dilation reversal and my last EKG showed no more signs of LVH, which corresponds with my echocardiogram data showing no evidence of such anymore. EF has remained between 60 and 70%, more recently I've had GLS added to the echocardiograms which is in the normal range.

This all culminated in my cardiologist suggesting I go to annual imaging instead of every 6 months last year, which I've chosen against for the time being.
This is unbelievable. Because of a vitamin K2 D3 pill you've been able to reverse your aortic stenosis? Well I never heard of such a thing. I'm pretty far into the severe category so it's probably too late for me at this point I do take 40 mg of K2 and I don't know how much milligrams of d3

Hello Sandra, I am 68 and had a bovine valve to replace my bicuspid valve. I also had a 5.7cm aortic root aneurysm repair. That was October 2017.

In March of 2022, I became extremely short of breath. I was hospitalized for a week, the last few days of June and into July. My family doctor was worried I was having a heart attack. The hospital kept me, trying to get a surgeon who could open up time to replace my valve again. That didn't happen, so I was sent home.

I had a heart attack August 18th, and was admitted into the hospital where my surgeon is. They held me in the hospital on bed rest until a space opened up for me to have my surgery. September 10th I finally had my surgery. I had a different, skilled surgeon. He had an opening, and my original surgeon gave me the choice of waiting for him to donthebsurgery, or trusting the new surgeon, whom he had complete confidence in. I had already been taken to the operating prep room for my original surgeon once, and had to return to mu room because a patient had a aortic aneurysm burst. There was a 2nd emergency surgery following this.

I decided to agree to the other surgeon doing my surgery. I was afraid of having another heart attack - and what consequences there could be if that happened.

Following the surgery, my husband was told that my bovine valve had failed. They did not know why. The surgeon said he could not even make the valve flaps move by pushing with his finger.

Sandra, I originally chose the bovine valve for the same reasons you did. I don't like to take meds, didn't want to run for blood tests all the time and I was worried about the ticking - to me that would be a constant reminder that my heart was different. I was also told that if I chose to go with a bovine valve, it would last about 10 to 12 years, and I would need another replacement. My valve lasted only just over 4 years.

When the surgeon talked about another new valve, he said he would recommend a mechanical valve because they were not sure why the original valve failed, and he didn't think I would really want a 3rd surgery. I actually didn't thinknI would survive the 2nd surgery...but I did! I will I've with taking the blood thinners, getting blood tests, and even the ticking. At least I am living!

Honestly, you don't always hear the tick. My granddaughter was with me one day and amsaid "Grandma! What's that noise?" "What noise?" I asked. She explained she was hearing a clicking noise and I started to laugh, and told her it was my heart. The look on her face was precious. No one had ever heard the tick before - not even my husband. At that moment, I wasn't hearing the tick. So rest assured, the ticking is less annoying than you imagine.

I hope all is well. It is such a difficult decision.

Hello Sandra, I am 68 and had a bovine valve to replace my bicuspid valve. I also had a 5.7cm aortic root aneurysm repair. That was October 2017.

In March of 2022, I became extremely short of breath. I was hospitalized for a week, the last few days of June and into July. My family doctor was worried I was having a heart attack. The hospital kept me, trying to get a surgeon who could open up time to replace my valve again. That didn't happen, so I was sent home.

I had a heart attack August 18th, and was admitted into the hospital where my surgeon is. They held me in the hospital on bed rest until a space opened up for me to have my surgery. September 10th I finally had my surgery. I had a different, skilled surgeon. He had an opening, and my original surgeon gave me the choice of waiting for him to donthebsurgery, or trusting the new surgeon, whom he had complete confidence in. I had already been taken to the operating prep room for my original surgeon once, and had to return to mu room because a patient had a aortic aneurysm burst. There was a 2nd emergency surgery following this.

I decided to agree to the other surgeon doing my surgery. I was afraid of having another heart attack - and what consequences there could be if that happened.

Following the surgery, my husband was told that my bovine valve had failed. They did not know why. The surgeon said he could not even make the valve flaps move by pushing with his finger.

Sandra, I originally chose the bovine valve for the same reasons you did. I don't like to take meds, didn't want to run for blood tests all the time and I was worried about the ticking - to me that would be a constant reminder that my heart was different. I was also told that if I chose to go with a bovine valve, it would last about 10 to 12 years, and I would need another replacement. My valve lasted only just over 4 years.

When the surgeon talked about another new valve, he said he would recommend a mechanical valve because they were not sure why the original valve failed, and he didn't think I would really want a 3rd surgery. I actually didn't thinknI would survive the 2nd surgery...but I did! I will I've with taking the blood thinners, getting blood tests, and even the ticking. At least I am living!

Honestly, you don't always hear the tick. My granddaughter was with me one day and amsaid "Grandma! What's that noise?" "What noise?" I asked. She explained she was hearing a clicking noise and I started to laugh, and told her it was my heart. The look on her face was precious. No one had ever heard the tick before - not even my husband. At that moment, I wasn't hearing the tick. So rest assured, the ticking is less annoying than you imagine.

I hope all is well. It is such a difficult decision.
Hello Deb, thank you for sharing your experience. My goodness, you have really been through a lot. I am so glad that you are now well, and enjoying life. There seems to have been a lot of confusion around your diagnosis and treatment after you began having the breathless symptoms which led to your hospital stays and heart attacks. Hard to believe that things were so unclear in your case. Maybe one of the most difficult things for those of us with this condition is the choices that we get to make. There isn't any guarantee of long term perfect health without relapse into needing surgery again. So much uncertainty. It seems to be just a matter of when problems arise. The mechanical valve has better longevity outcomes, but doesn't suit everyone.
I feel positive for my upcoming surgery. I feel like I am in good hands. I'll report back onto this forum when I can. It's great to share experiences. Take care. Sandra

Latest posts

Back