Imaging center vs. hospital---cost difference for MRI?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopefulHeart

Hi everyone, I have to have another chest MRI with contrast next year for my ascending aortic aneurysm. They have to check the measurements of it. Praying it's not larger. I know the last time I had this done at the hospital the cost was $2000 for the exam. I just found an imaging center in my town that is affiliated with the hospital but is not in the hospital. I was thinking about calling them to see if they charge a smaller fee for the MRI. Have any of you been down this road? Are these imaging centers cheaper or just as expensive as the hospital? Thanks so much!

Hi HopefulHeart! I have had an MRI for the past 4 years to keep track of my ascending aortic aneurysm. The first one was at a large imaging center in San Antonio and the last 3 were at a small local hospital. Although I don't know the cost difference since I have great insurance, I do know that the imaging center was more professional and the reading was more accurate. I switched to our local hospital for convenience, however I have been thoroughly disappointed and will be returning next year to the imaging center. I do know that it's best once you choose a facility, to stay with that one so your MRI's are comparable. As far as the cost, I'm sure if you give them a call, they'll tell you what they charge.

I just came from a meeting about what medicare plans will be available to us for next year and a similar question was asked concerning the costs at hospitals versus free standing centers. One of the seminar presenters commented......"the more bricks the building has, the higher the cost". This was intended as a joke but it is true. Free standing centers do not have the overhead that hospitals do. I personally use free standing centers whenever possible

dick0236;n859477 said:
I just came from a meeting about what medicare plans will be available to us for next year and a similar question was asked concerning the costs at hospitals versus free standing centers. One of the seminar presenters commented......"the more bricks the building has, the higher the cost". This was intended as a joke but it is true. Free standing centers do not have the overhead that hospitals do. I personally use free standing centers whenever possible

That's great info. Thanks so much!!

Texanbarbie;n859476 said:
Hi HopefulHeart! I have had an MRI for the past 4 years to keep track of my ascending aortic aneurysm. The first one was at a large imaging center in San Antonio and the last 3 were at a small local hospital. Although I don't know the cost difference since I have great insurance, I do know that the imaging center was more professional and the reading was more accurate. I switched to our local hospital for convenience, however I have been thoroughly disappointed and will be returning next year to the imaging center. I do know that it's best once you choose a facility, to stay with that one so your MRI's are comparable. As far as the cost, I'm sure if you give them a call, they'll tell you what they charge.

Thanks so much for your info. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back