I'm ready - a week to go

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,
I finished work today and everything pre-surgery has been done - scans, angiogram, etc. I feel relaxed, calm and ready - next Wednesday (29 May) is the day and between now and then I have some nice things planned and am treating this time as a bit of a holiday. I'm a little concerned as I don't feel particularly anxious, but I couldn't be any more organised, so what's the point? Maybe next Tuesday I will feel wobbly. I'm more curious - what will it be like having a mechanical valve? Will it be noisy? How will I handle warfarin. Will the ablation I'm having at the same time as the AVR correct the Afib I've had for years ... Thanks to everyone who has provided support over the last 15 months. Your insights have been invaluable. I'll post again before surgery and take care.

Cheers.

Phil.

Best Wishes to you Phil. I am sending positive vibes from sunny So. California. I hope your surgery is successful along with the ablation and that your recovery is smooth and bump free. Will be thinking of you on the 29th.:)

Phil - Why would you feel anxious? You've done all the hard work, made all the decisions and formulated the plan. Now all you have to do is work the plan. I found that the closer I got to my surgery, the calmer I was. Then, at the last minute, the hospital called and asked if I could be ready a day earlier than scheduled. Simple - all was done, so I just had to be there.

We know you'll do just fine. We're cheering for you and will be here waiting for your post-surgery reports when you're ready.

Hi Steve,
You are so right. I still feel calm. Off to the country today to have lunch with friends and tomorrow having an open house for people to come around and say goodbye. Have done the baking so am organised with that as well. On Monday I'm catching up with my one of my brothers and Tuesday I'll drop my dog off to be looked after whilst I'm in hospital. This is the bit I'm not looking forward to as I'm a dog nut and always really miss her when away. In all honesty, I think it's much harder on my partner who is anxious. I think it's harder for partners as they get to see us with all sorts of things sticking out of body and when we are in ICU. I don't remember this part of the process or have a sense of what I looked like, but he does. Thanks for the well wishes Steve.

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil: I agree with you that one of the hardest things is parting with our pets, even for a short time. My husband and I joked that we would shop for a hospital based on which one would allow our dog to come visit!

I wish you all the best with your surgery. I'm still in the waiting room until my surgery on June 6. -- Suzanne

Phil: I agree with you that one of the hardest things is parting with our pets, even for a short time. My husband and I joked that we would shop for a hospital based on which one would allow our dog to come visit!

I wish you all the best with your surgery. I'm still in the waiting room until my surgery on June 6. -- Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

We are so on the same page. I've even thought of a plan for John to smuggle her in for a visit ... I'm tragic!

All the best for 6 June. A week after me. Stay in contact - we can be recovering buddies.

Phil

Phil,

Based on my own experience, I predict the mechanical valve will not be loud. Most of the time, you won't be able to hear it. In a very quiet room, or when you're laying in bed, you might hear it and feel it. The warfarin will not be a big deal.

Hello Phil!
It sounds as if you are in fine spirits and doing the right stuff as you get closer to your surgery day!
Having celebrated 13 years with my mechanical mitral valve just yesterday, I know that, for me, the noise issue was quite quickly "put to rest" and has become nearly a non-issue: on occasion, the ticking is slightly noticeable to me, sometimes in a tiled bathroom when it is very quiet, for example.
Sometimes, my adult daughter, sitting very close to me, jokes--"is that your watch or you, Mom?" But interestingly, she is the ONLY person who ever
has heard it that way!

You might come to feel kinda good about that sound, as I do, cause where would we be without it?!

As for the coumadin/warfarin, over all these years, just a sprinkling of times where dosage had to be adjusted once the immediate post-surgery tweakings were done over those first few weeks and months, as I recall. I began home testing about 18 months ago and that is GREAT! When and if you are offered that opportunity, grab it. Very empowering.

I wish you an excellent outcome on your 5/29 surgery: I will be thinking of you and sending sunny rays from South Florida!

Hi BarbATS,

Thank you. I have spoken to my surgeon about home monitoring and there is no problem with me doing this. The sun rays sound warm and healing so feel free to send them my way. Again, thanks for your well wishes and I'll post again soon.

Phil.

Good luck on Wed Phil. Will be sending positive thoughts for a smooth surgery and recovery. I know it's harder on our partners, as we just go in one door and out the other in what seems to be two minutes. They have a very long day waiting for us to look them in the eyes again. They just need to trust the process and all will work out just fine, with a good future to look forward to with us again. As for the noise of your valve and the INR process, everyone is a bit different, so you will get those answers real soon. Will be waiting to hear from you on the other side. Take care.

Latest posts

Back