I'm only 24!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

boomersooner

Hi everyone, I am new to this place. My name is Jared and I am 24 and live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I have known since I was a little kid that I had a heart murmur but not until I was around 18 did I found out what it actually was. The doctors say I have a bicuspid aortic valve with sever aortic regurgitation. I was told recently that surgery is probably less than a year away and that all the doctors are waiting for are some symptoms to set in. I had a consult with a surgeon in November who ordered a heart cath and a TEE and said that he would like me to do a tissue valve because of my age and active lifestyle. I am really torn about what valve to pick. I figure at best the tissue will last 15 years and by then I will be around 40 and can have a mechanical valve put in but I just hate the idea of setting myself up with another surgery. The surgeon also said that if I do a mechanical I will need to be on a blood thinner for the rest of my life, which he said runs a 3% chance per year of having major complications. He said that 15 years on a blood thinner would give me a 45% chance of having a major medical emergency over that time period. Really I am just needing some information, epically since I am only 24! HELP! Thanks.

Hi Jared and WELCOME to this wonderful site. Im sorry that I dont have any advice to give you, but Im sure there will be people along shortly that have great knowledge and advice to pass on to you. Best Wishes.

Hey Jared and welcome to the family. We're glad you found us. You will find a wealth of information on this site and will read all about our experiences with the types of valves that we've chosen for ourselves and our situations. I was 22 when I had my first open heart surgery and 29 when I had my mitral valve replaced. That was 25 and a half years ago. There have been so many advancements in the field of cardiac surgery and valve choices since 1981 and of course, the advent of the web where you can find so much information. I have been happy with my choice of valves, but of course, hindsight its 20/20. Sorry to ramble on...anyway, again, WELCOME! We're glad you joined us!:) LINDA

Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you are going through this but glad you found us. There's lots of information and support here.

I'm not sure why the doctors are waiting for symptoms to set in before doing the surgery. I was asymptomatic myself, but all the diagnostic tested showed severe regurg and the heart chambers starting to enlarge so surgery was inevitable therefore they decided why wait and risk further damage. However, in my case, they were able to repair not replace so perhaps that's the difference.

Good luck!

boomersooner said:
The surgeon also said that if I do a mechanical I will need to be on a blood thinner for the rest of my life, which he said runs a 3% chance per year of having major complications. He said that 15 years on a blood thinner would give me a 45% chance of having a major medical emergency over that time period.
Hi Jared. Your surgeon is wrong. The risk does not accumulate over time, it's straight out about 3 percent per year. I would recommend mechanical in hopes of avoiding anymore surgeries. There are no guarantees either way. Please include a quick education on Coumadin ( www.warfarinfo.com ) in your choosing. I think you'll find it's not at all what some represent it to be. Worst thing that I've found so far is, physicians do not understand the drug and most do not know how to manage it. Most of us are now self dosing and self managing our therapy. That is something else for you to consider if you go mechanical. Home testing! Sure gives you a big piece of mind.

Tissues don't last very long in you younger folks. It might be a prime thing if you were 55 or 60, but at 24, well I think your better off with mechanical and that is only my opinion.

Hi, Jared!
I'm sorry to hear that your replacement will be coming sooner in your life than later. I have a son with a BAV, but happily he's not having any problems at this time.
If you go to the valve selection forum, you will see a thread at the top by Tobagotwo that outlines some of the information you're asking about.
Good luck, best wishes, and welcome to VR!

Welcome Jared! I too am glad you found us. There are many members here who are very knowledgeable about BAV and can shed some light for you. I had my mitral valve replaced when I was 32, over 15 years ago. Both Twinmaker and I have been on Coumadin for a long time. I have never had an incident with it. I highly recommend reading this thread that we put together to give a brief overview of Coumadin http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17116

I also recommend you take a look at our Active Lifestyles forum as well and see how active some of our Coumadin users are. Unfortunately, many in the medical community operate off a lot of old, or just plain wrong, information on Coumadin. With proper anticoagulation your risk of stroke is the same for a mechanical valve as a tissue valve.

I'll let some of our more knowledgable members weigh in on longevity in tissue valve for someone your age, but I think 15 years for a 24 year old is being somewhat too optimistic.

However, I think you are on the right track of looking at a comprehensive plan.

Best wishes!

While I was typing my previous response to Jared, I thought about Paul, my 21 year old with a BAV, and what I would recommend for a valve choice if he were facing surgery within the next year (and if he asked for my opinion:p ).
It would be tissue . . . even if it was a certainity that he'd face another replacement in 10 years.
I do think coumadin management is a huge issue in a young person's life.

Welcome Jared.

I don't get too involved in valve choice issues anymore but I will tell you that I was 28 when I had my first OHS so our ages would be close. I have been on coumadin for going on 27 years and have had no major issues with it. Pretty good considering that the regulation of coumadin was very poor until the past 10 years or so.

However, you mentioned active lifestyle. There may be some activities that would not be wise while on coumadin. Ultimately you and your doctors must decide what will fit you best.

Hi Jared and Welcome!

Glad you found this site! From what I've read, I believe the anti-coagulation information and statistics that your professionally and medically-educated surgeon has told you are factual and accurate. (edit - this expression of mine may be incorrect, based on the posts that follow.)

Something I read here a few years ago was to find an excellent and highly recommended surgeon and ask him what he/she recommends for you. (Also ask them what they would choose if they were in your situation.) Two of three of the surgeons I consulted with pre-op recommended tissue valves for me at age 42. Tissue valves, however, do not last as long for younger and more active people, evidently, as they do for older people. And sometimes, a post-op person has A-fib that won't go away and they have to be on Coumadin anyway. Mechanical valves do not always last forever either, though. And there are other valve choices that other Valvers have made also that appear to be working for them, such as the Ross procedure (although I have read that is not the preferred option for a BAV with connective tissue issues).

Read all you can and ask lots of questions and make the best choice you can (and you may want a back-up plan) and best wishes to you.

One more thing regarding heart valves: keep your teeth in the best possible condition you possibly can. Healthy teeth and gums are essential in making every valve choice a better choice.

Hi Jared,

Sorry to learn about your diagnosis of BAV but want you to know you are not alone. With a loud murmur, I was diagnosed at age 10 with a bicuspid aortic valve and knew very little about it until recent years, other than I was told I might need a valve replacement when in my 40s or 50s. Like you, I had aortic regurgitation. However, I soon put this in the back of my mind and certainly didn't let this diagnosis get in the way of living a full life. Like many with BAV, I was very competitive in athletics at an early age, including football, baseball, and basketball, and always was active....still am and also like to party!

So much has been learned about BAV over the years and lots of great information is now available over the internet. There's plenty of good information here and excellent advice from many. Also, you'll want to check out the bicuspid foundation website at

www.bicuspidfoundation.com

Wtih respect to valve choice, I strongly agree with Ross and others that coumadin management is not that big of deal really. Your doctor is wrong about the risks, as Ross said the risks are not cumulative. To avoid surgery again, a mechanical valve is highly recommended for someone your age.

As you learn more about BAV, you will find out many with BAV (and especially those with regurgitation) have enlarged ascending aortas and weakened aortic tissue. Unfortunately, we are prone to aortic aneurysms that can become life threatening and sometimes develop even after valve replacement. Prior to surgery, I strongly encourage you to find a cardiologist and surgeon who are experts in the aorta and who will take excellent measurements of your aorta prior to surgery. If necessary, valve replacement and aortic resection and repair can be performed in the same surgery with excellent results and reduced risks of further surgery later in life. Under the care of an expert cardiologist, you also may be able to postpone surgery for many years until symptoms develop.

All my best,
MrP
Hook Em Horns!

Unfortunately, many in the medical community operate off a lot of old, or just plain wrong, information on Coumadin.

In my estimation as a non-ACT user whose parents are both on ACT, I would say this accounts for most of the problems with ACT, and it should be considered seriously. Your own estimation of your ability to be faithful to the regimen--taking the pills and testing/having tested your INR--are important. Overall, the members on this site who have chosen mechanical valves are unperturbed by the often-overstated dangers of ACT.

You may also be a candidate for a Ross Procedure. It's a procedure where they switch out your bad aortic valve for your own pulmonary valve (called an autograft - which is a lot like an aortic valve in structure) and replace your pulmonary valve with a homograft (cadaver valve). You can get more info than you might actually want :)D ) about the Ross Procedure from our own member Stretch at: http://www.stretchphotography.com/avr/images/index_4.htm
or check out a good simplified overview at:
http://www.cts.usc.edu/rossprocedure.html

I think with Jared's regurgitation he is a less likely candidate for the Ross procedure. Optimally, a BAVer with aortic stenosis is a good match for the Ross--according to Dr. Stelzer.

I think with Jared's regurgitation he is a less likely candidate for the Ross procedure. Optimally, a BAVer with aortic stenosis is a good match for the Ross--according to Dr. Stelzer.

That's true! I was thinking stenosis as I typed my response, Mary.:eek:

Welcome Jared,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ROSS Procedure which takes your (healthy) pulmonary valve and uses it to replace your diseased Bicuspid Aortic Valve. Then either a tissue or mechanical valve is placed in the (Lower Pressure) Pulmonary Position.

It is a COMPLEX surgery that needs to be done by someone with GREAT EXPERTISE in that procedure.

I suggest your read EVERYTHING written by StretchL who just underwent the ROSS for his BAV. He even has a photojournal of the entire surgery which I found quite interesting to view.

When it comes to Mechanical Valves, I am excited about all the new developments and benefits of the On-X Valve. Studies are underway evaluating ASPIRIN ONLY (NO Coumadin) therapy for Low Risk Patients and Reduced Anticoagulatin Levels for Mild Risk Patients.

I confess I'm not well versed in the latest developments in Tissue Valves, especially the Porcine Valves. At one time I was interested in the Bovine Pericardial Valve but that was not deemed a good option for ME because of extensive Radiation Damage to MY Heart.

SO, Educate yourself, and then decide.

Best wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Three years ago, my surgeon and one of the best, Dr. Joesph Coselli, told me that the Ross procedure is no longer advised for BAV patients, as long-term results are not favorable. I'm not sure as of this writing whether or not he distinquished between those with BAV with/without regurgitation but am pretty sure he eluded to the weakened aortic tissue aspects of BAV and long-term outcomes in these patients. The Ross procedure is not such a great idea in those with inherited weakness of the aortic wall that may affect durability of the autograft.

24 is really young and the chance that you face a second, or third surgery over your lifetime is quite high. However, medicine is advancing everyday and doctors are working and beginning to perform keyhole AVRs, so this could possibly be a viable option for you for your next surgery.
I am 38 and I chose a tissue valve. I know myself well enough to know that the constant monitoring would make me very anxious. I also do not take medicine well. And, I enjoy my wine. ;)
I think that your best bet is to read the threads here and go to other websites. Talk to your doctor about your options and then choose what is best for you. The more information you have, the better decision you will make. Good luck.

Me too!

Me too!

Hi Jared,

I can relate to your situation. I had a Ross Procedure to replace my regurgitating bicuspid aortic valve when I was 17 and then had a reoperation to replace the failed neo-aortic valve in December at the age of 23.

Valve choice is always difficult, but in someone our age it becomes a nearly impossible decision to make. As I know, the thought of being on a lifetime of coumadin is disconcerting. At the same time, guaranteeing oneself another surgery by choosing a tissue valve or Ross Procedure is equally taxing on the emotions. As my second surgeon told me there is no "right" choice. There really isn't even a "good" choice. On the other hand, some intervention must be taken or we will undergo congestive heart failure ane die slowly, painfully, and prematurely. So in this sense any choice is a "good" choice because it prolongs life. It will be a tough decision, but one you must make. Hopefully, I can provide a few insights...

I strongly suggest that you do not go with the Ross Proecedure. Ross Procedures in patients whose have BAV AND a primary diagnosis of regurgitation is not recommended. End of story. There have been too many patients like myself whose neo-aortic roots have dilated out of control and caused the valve to leak and resurgery to become necessary. Second, it turns you into a two valve patient. You get a tissue valve in the pulmonary position. These are prone to wear out over time. Everyone dismisses the risk because surgery to replace the pumlonary valve is less risky than aortic valve replacement. Nonetheless, it is still open heart surgery. The Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic are widely recognized as two of the best heart centers in the country. The Mayo Clinic does not perform Ross Procedures in patients over two years of age. If you ask them for the RP, they will refuse to do it. The Cleveland Clinic performs very, very few Ross Procedures each year. This should say something. It is not a popular operation anymore except in ideal candidates, which you are not.

Your doctor did not inform you correctly about the long term probability of stroke or bleeding event for someone with a mechanical valve on coumadin. If you believe that these patients have a serious incident at a 3% rate per year, then the probability of NOT HAVING any incidents at 15 years would be .97^15. This comes out to be 63.3%. Thus, the probability of HAVING an event would be 36.7%. However, I think that 3% per annum is a rather high estimate. Preliminary studies at Mayo have shown that those who self monitor reduce there risk to around 1% per year. At 15 years this would be .99^15 or an 86% chance of being INCIDENT FREE. Thus, the probability of HAVING an event would be 14%. These probabilities fluctuate from individual to individual based on lifestyle and coumadin management. If you do not take major risks and manage with diligence your chance of incident should be relatively recuded. Of course, no one wants to have a stroke. So it is a real risk and one that should be thoroughly wieghed in the decision process.

On the other hand, second and third operations on individuals with CHD like ourselves are becoming more and more commonplace. People with defects are surviving into adulthood and they need second, third, and even fourth operations. Surgeons are becoming more and more experienced with the obstacles faced in the multiple surgery patients. Risks of complications in multiple surgeries have been reduced, but remain signficant. Open-heart surgery is serious business and carries with it a risk or mortality and morbidity, which should be weighed against the risk of long-term coumadin use.

In my opinion, it comes down to your personal wishes. With mechanical you have the chance of anti-coagulation issues such as stroke. With a tissue valve you have the chance of issues with multiple surgeries. However, this is not to say that if you go mechanical you won't have to have another surgery. Mechanical valves sometimes need replacing too, but at a much lower rate than tissues. The risks are real on both sides. You need to do some personal soul searching and decide which you are most ready to deal with.

You must remember though that tissue valves in patients our ages do not last as long as in older patients. My surgeon gave my second aortic tissue valve a 50% chance of lasting ten years. I think this is a fair assessment. Expecting it to last 15 seems optimistic at best and unrealistic at worse.

In my first surgery, I went with the Ross Procedure. In my second surgery, I went with a tissue valve. They were both very difficult decisions whch were based on my personal situation which was quite complex. Everyone is different. If I were in your situation, I would probably get the ON-X mechanical valve. However, it would be an extremely difficult decision and one that you must think over. If you ever need to talk you can PM me.

Brad

Something else I recall reading here on this site when I was trying to educate myself about valve choices was [something like] mechanical valves don't last forever. I don't know the current stats but I do recall reading something about a 30 year life-expectancy for a mechanical valve. Now I'm sure there are some that have lasted longer so please don't quote my attempt to remember and word what I read about four years ago; but please do look up the current life-expectancy of a mechanical valve for yourself.

Wow

Wow

I did not expect such a quick response from everyone. Thanks so much for the information. The surgeon did say that my aortic root was enlarged and he will more than likely want to replace that as well with something, but he said once it is replaced I should not have any other issues except for the possibility of another valve replacement. I am pretty active in regards to running and different things. I was actually a fire fighter in the Air Force and have never noticed any symptoms until recently. If I do a mechanical I am leaning toward the On-x since there is a possibility that aspirin might be the only needed medication and if I must do a tissue I am thinking homograft.

Back