I'm new to this site. I'm having mitral valve surgery mid-July.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PJ829 said:
I just wanted to introduce myself. I found out I had a heart murmur about 10 years ago. Since then, it has worsened to mitral valve regurgitation. I have been symptom free for the most part. My cardiologist has been monitoring me with an echo every 6 months. I had a a short episode of rapid heartbeat in November (about 10 minutes); it felt like my heart was just beating hard, not racing though. In April I had the same feeling of a hard heart beat and called an ambulance (per my doctor). I had a heart rate of 206 BPM (50-100 is supposed to be normal). The EMT's gave me a shot of something, in the IV they put in, that brought my heart rate down. Both times it occured, I was relaxing. Anyway, It scared me, so I decided to get a second opinion. I was told I need surgery within the next 3 months. I am scheduled for surgery July 14. I am hoping to have the minimally invasive surgery. I was just wondering if the incision is through the bone. I have been reading through the forums and really appreciate all the information. It makes me more relaxed to have an idea of what to expect.
I had my mitral valve repaired on July 14th as well in '03.I'll be thinking of you on my anniversary date.
Minimally invasive (M.I.) is a matter of semantics I suppose. When I asked my surgeon he said he performs a M.I. thru the sternum which left me with a 4"
incision. Said it gives him a better view of valve. It is painful for a couple of weeks especiaaly when they want you to cough to stir your lungs up. I forced myself not to sneeze for a month! I was worried about breathing tube due to the feeling of claustrophobia but that came out in the evening and I was so drugged up it never bothered me. The worst part for me was the thirst. They don't want you to drink a lot and I was sooooo thirsty. All in all it's not an easy thing to go through but each day post-op gets a little better and you'll make it fine. I do every thing I did before surgery without limitations.GOOD LUCK.

Hi. I had minimally invasive mitral valve repair one year ago June 7th. The 5-6 inch incision was under the right breast, where the ribs were seperated to make the opening to get to the valve. The incision is almost completely invisible now. I am left with an indention above the breast, and you can feel the gap on the right side of my ribs. I am still not sure if the indention will ever go away, but it is only noticeable to me. You really have to look to see it. Minimally invasive means they are not going to open thru the sternum. I did not have any bones cut. The recovery was not very painful. I had alot of swelling in the breast area, and the incision healed very quickly since it was stiched from the inside. I had no external stiches.

Janine
mvp repair 6/7/04
NYU Dr.Ciuffo

I had minimally invasive mitral valve repair 6 months ago at NYU

I had minimally invasive mitral valve repair 6 months ago at NYU

Got varying opinions beforehand, ranging from "you'll heal much faster, with less pain" to "it's a marketing gimmick."

Well, all I can tell you is: it worked for me (see my other posts in post-surgery and active lifestyle).

It really helped me to focus on making the surgery happen, rather than what MIGHT happen during or after. I didn't do TOO much reading beforehand :)

I have a five inch scar between two ribs on my right side, and three (I just looked again -- can barely see two of them any more) keyhole scars. Like others who had this procedure, my surgeon reached across a partially collapsed lung to do the work.

I don't mind telling you, I was happy not to have my sternum cracked open. For me, the key was choosing the surgeon. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Stephen Colvin at NYU. He just made it happen. Period.

I was driving after two weeks. Cardiac rehab from weeks three to nine. Progressively more strenuous and lengthy rowing machine after that. Bike riding until I broke my arm in two places because I forgot I was using brand new, clipless pedals (!!!).

And today, a 5.5 mile walk in hilly terrain, high heat and humidity, average 3.2 mph, average 91bpm -- and I felt GREAT (though I took a nice long nap with my poor pup, who went with me and was more tuckered than I was!).

You'll be amazed how much better you feel six months after the surgergy!

You'll be GREAT!

Cooper said:
First, welcome to the forum.

Your story sounds like my husband. He was symptom free, and had been monitoring his MVP for many years until last year he had an episode of abnormal heart beat. Testing reveled it was time for surgery. He had minimally invasive mitral valve repair at NYU in May and he's doing well.

Minimally invasive surgery is done differently depending on institution. NYU goes through the ribs on the right side of the chest, usually below the right breast. I believe the Cleveland Clinic does minimally invasive though a mini-sternotomy (they still break the breastbone but it's a smaller incision compared to traditional). Some institutions use robotic assistance; others don't. NYU does not use robotic arm. They use longer instruments to reach the valve. So, it really depends on the hospital. Where are you having surgery?

Sincerely,

I think Cleveland does some both ways--Dr Lytle told me that if my mitral valve ever needed work he could go in from the side !!!!!! and not have to crack my sternum again. Knock on wood, I will not have to experience any more heart surgeries!!!!!

Latest posts

Back