I'm new and want to know if anyone has same experience?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheridan, I think that you will find that some cardiologist tend to want to wait and surgeons are much more likely to want to push forward. If you are already as symptomatic as you say, I would press forward with surgery consultations. You are obviously going to need surgery at some point and if your symptoms are already limiting your ability to do everyday things, I would want to get it over with so you can get your life back.

By the way, I'm here in North Carolina as well.

Kim

Thanks kfay! I live in Rockingham county. I lived in CT for 27 years and lived here 8 years now. NC is awesome place to live. The people are so much nicer. I hope they can do something for me, I was very active up to about a year now. Good luck

My valve repair wasn't a result of stenosis so I can't offer any insights or experience in that regard. However, I want to welcome you to VR. Glad you found us. Best wishes and good luck.

Thanks kfay! I live in Rockingham county. I lived in CT for 27 years and lived here 8 years now. NC is awesome place to live. The people are so much nicer. I hope they can do something for me, I was very active up to about a year now. Good luck

The people are SO much nicer, except for all those yanks that keep moving down here!...Just kidding. I'm actually in Charlotte, so almost everyone of my neighbors are from NY or CT, they are all bankers and are all now looking to move back up north because they are all going to be out of jobs once the Wachovia sell goes through. Where are you going to the Dr? Wake or around Raleigh at Duke? If you're not going to one of these, I would look into it for a surgeon if you're not looking to go out of state for surgery.

Kim

Wecome and big hello, had my most recent tee done in sept

you will do fine ,another part of getting used too having these

done after it becomes routine,i had no problem.

just to share for me the waiting has been the worst and my 2nd

surgery scheduled for Jan 8th,

Glad you found us,so much easier to be able to talk and share with

a friendly ,experienced bunch as VR....alot of support:):)

Good luck with your upcoming tee,you will do fine,you will see.

zipper2 (DEB)

Hello Sheridan-
I am 13 days post-surgery, and just finished 20 minutes on the treadmill! I had a bi-cuspid AV and it had narrowed to .76, giving me some of the same symptoms you are currently experiencing. The weeks and days leading up to my surgery were some of the scariest times of my life. The morning of was just horrific. Let me tell you, though, it was SOOOOO much easier/better than I could have ever imagined. I spent just 3 days in the hospital and have gained strength and energy every day since. My incision is NOTHING. Get your tests done, listen to the pro's, and don't wait too long.
You will be SO pleasantly surprised!

Good luck Zipper2 and I'm glad You are feeling good Bruce Thanks to the both of you for your advice. Waiting is the worst. I worried about the heart cath also and after I wondered why I worried. Thanks again

Brian, I had one doctor (that I never went back to) do my first TEE (not Dr Askew, he's now my TEE guy all the time as he's with my cardiologist) and I had another doctor do my first Cath. NEITHER test was done to my surgeon's satisfaction - he said there wasn't enough dye in the cath and the measurements on the TEE were less than what he found once he opened me up. Going into it, he was concerned that my symptoms were as severe yet TEE measurements weren't reflecting that. Just sloppy work on the initial testers' parts. He gets in there on day of surgery and finds that aortic dilatation and aortic root much wider than first TEE showed. The good news was that my coronary arteries were perfect - my surgeon had feared maybe symptoms were caused by blockage in them.

My advice is meet with a surgeon if you can, let him see these pictures that you've had so far. I feel like they've got the "Midas touch" with us and can really point us in the right direction. Living life without enough oxygen in our systems totally stinks! Move on this when it feels right, you won't believe the energy that comes back to you.

Thanks Fran, I thought I was going crazy or something. My Cardio Doctor is awesome! She is not leaving any stone unturned. She is worried about my symptoms and the Doctor who performed my Cath was not. What type of Questions should I ask? How long did it take you to feel better and get back to work or normal activies? Thanks again

I was so put out with the initial doctor who did my first cath - stood over me yacking at the tech about his golf game - like I wasn't there, and I'd ask a question or two about what I was seeing on the screen. NONE of my doctors that I've had since treated me like that.
I went from thinking it was just the leaky valve to then finding that I had the ascending aortic aneurysm, too. I was walking around in a shuffle all the time, sometimes sitting and planning where to go in my house as any extra moving seemed to tax me so badly. After my surgery, in fact, two days later in the hospital and due to my age and the fact that neither of my legs was involved (like it'd have been in a bypass situation with veins harvested) I was almost knocking my wonderful nurses down as I'd get out of bed. Within a week (once we got the clot out of my arm, too) I was in my yard, walking around (I'm an outdoors freak, it was early May, just beautiful out!) holding my pillow under my arm and against my chest. My legs were strong. I had that crappy cough that could make me think I was about to break in two, but I'd keep going until it cleared. I practiced breathing REALLY deeply, filling my belly area with air like when I used to play my flute. This really helped stretch my lungs back out and kept them clear.

Surgery was April, by September and August I was back to walking down our road, on our sidewalk here in our little town. My neighbors beeping at me was like the Hallelujah Chorus! :D :cool:

I don't know what type of questions for you to ask - every time I heard a word I didn't understand, I'd stop a nurse or my doctor(s) and say, "Okay, what does that mean?" and they were great about explaining. Look at diagrams of the heart and aorta, get familiar with anatomy and function. Talk to those who've had it, like you're doing here, and it takes the stigma and fear away. The cough and the shoulder/clavicle pain were the worst besides having that clot in my arm. All is absolutely well mechanically now, just getting meds off in a new direction. You're going to do SO well! :)

Hello, Sheridan. Welcome to our wonderful community.

Everyone has given you great answers. Might I just add that it does sound like you just are going to have to accept (which it sounds like you are) the fact that surgery is going to be sooner than later (like not when you're in your 70's) and continue to gather the best doctors and best information possible.

At some point, with all these tests, you begin to feel like you're on a merry-go-round and you get tired of being a pin cushion. It's all just part of the territory here, and we all can relate to it in so many ways!! The very best thing you can do is what you are doing. You are allowing all the information to be gathered and reviewed by professionals to better assist you in deciding (this is elective surgery after all) how and when to do things to correct your bad, deteriorating valve.

This is very very very survivable surgery. You are probably dealing with surgeons and doctors who have performed hundreds and hundreds of these. Eventually, you will find a comfortable acceptance of their wisdoms. You will. It is very difficult to let go and let someone else be in control, but at some point, hopefully, that trust will overcome you and the research and ruminating you have done will relax into a zone where you can begin to feel that things are clear. We have all gone through this!!!!! It is a difficult road, but you can and you will do it!!

Some of us had the TEE performed as we went into surgery (all at once). That was the case with me, so I never knew about it at all.

Anyway, we are just now getting a few hours relief from our "snowmageddon" and I need to get out and go shopping so I"ll close. You have found a good place, here! Ask as much as you need to from us. We are very willing listeners.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Me again, I'm going to chime in with Marguerite and say that the anxiety and fatigue before the surgery are really worse than the surgery itself. I wrote on one of my posts here that I shook from the relief after I met my surgeon that first day, of walking out of his office and knowing this man would TAKE CARE OF ME, it was out of my hands, I could finally rely on someone so graciously talented and knowledgeable.

Getting it over with was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'd been living with the dysfunction for years, just thinking that my lethargy was age and life coming at me all at once. It was PHYSIOLOGICAL and it's fixed now and it's a very good thing. :cool:

It's a heck of a way to learn about the magical wonders of the human body, I'm just more fascinated as time goes by. This ulcer stuff opened up a new "field" of inquiry for me, too, appreciating a healthy stomach lining like I never have before! :) And my gastro guy is one who will show you your pics and just keep filling in all the blanks for you. I've been so blessed with these doctors, just keep envisioning the very best course of action and recovery and team, and you're going to be great. :)

Sheridan07...I can't help much regarding a TEE:confused:....or most of the modern tests since they didn't exist when my only surgery was performed. I would like to offer a couple of encouraging words. Like you, I was young (31) and had two small sons. Shortly after my surgery I was able to play with, and help to raise, them without any restrictions. They have grown to adulthood and I have seen their children (4) grow to adulthood. One of my grandkids has given me and my wife a great grandson. I know with certainty that I would have seen none grow up had I not had my heart problem "fixed". When it becomes time, have your surgery....and then go about living a normal, healthy life:):). Good luck:D!!!

Just go with the flow during your TEE. However, just one little thing, make sure they give you sufficient sedation. My TEE was a little bumpy. Doctor was in a hurry, (plus he was highly rated in his own mind).:eek:

Once they get a good picture and you have your surgery, you are gonna feel so very much better.:D

Hi Brian ~ I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to VR. As the others said, a TEE is nothing to worry about. TEE's show so much more than Echocardiograms. My Echo showed i only had mild aortic stenosis, but the arteriogram showed it to be severe. My doctor said the Echo's are not accurate often so he wanted a TEE. It showed the aortic stenosis to be critical. The TEE was not bad at all. They sprayed my throat and then gave me "happy juice" and i remember nothing until i was back in my room. I had a very mild sore throat, but that's about all, and that was gone within a couple hours. So, in the right hands, it's a piece of cake!

Sorry, i can't tell you anything about surgery, as i've been deemed inoperable. But plenty of others here can guide you through everything. People here are so wonderful and caring!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Dawn-Marie

Thank you all for your time and good luck to all. Merry Christmas! All this info is very helpful and blessed to find such kind and helpful people.

Hey Brian

welcome....... I had Tee in oct and heading toward surgery in a week

I am a big time gagger but the spray they use is great ( they did use two bottle though !!!!!) I was very alert during test and watched on the monitor but need to warn you Doc talked to me later in day and I didnt remember talking to him so make sure someone is there when he talks to you afterward. I wish you wel

Gary

Latest posts

Back