I'm Home....... And Very Happy about it!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

Had my surgery Thursday morning at Mass General. One of the hardest things I've ever done was enter that hospital for a second OHS as that is where I had my first.

I'm grateful to my surgeon as I know he tried hard to do a repair but he kept in mind I had told him my worst nightmare was a failed repair. We decided he would use a Bovine if repair was not possible and that is what he did.

This time was very much easier for me and I have had less pain and have generally felt very much better throughout the surgery and immediate recovery period. I was in SICU less than 24 hours which was wonderful.

I recall awakening with the breathing tube and while it made me moderately anxious it was removed (what seemed to me) rather quickly. I cannot imagine the ICU in any hospital for heart surgery can be better than that at MGH's. I had amazing care from two incredible nurses. A greatly respect surgeon with magical hands and from me they got a patient in other wise good health, a decent attitude by the 'time came' and a person eager to do what is necessary for a full recovery.

I had some collapsed lung issues, one of my four drainage tubes came out on its own which is not impossible though does not happen often. It came out with the stitch and all. The earned me an additional immediate check x-ray but all was well.

I've had small 'events' occur but nothing of a serious nature and generally I am feeling very much better than I expected predicated upon my experience with my first OHS.
It is HUGE blessing to me that this time around I have had no sore neck and shoulder issues at all. None. I suffered from that last time.

I'm tired now and plan to go nap.
I'm grateful for all the hugely valuable information and for the support I have received here.

If you don't mind...... I hope to remain hanging around here to hopefully be lucky and say just the right thing to the right person to make their journey a teeny bit easier.

I am fully aware it is still early and unexpected things most assuredly can happen but I'm keeping good thoughts and will take what comes as it comes.

My many thanks to you all.

Welcome home! I remember it sure felt great to be home and in my own bed.

Thanks for posting your story. I hope you do remain hanging around here for quite some time to come, to share your experience and insights with the newbies. That's what makes VR.com so great.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery. Eat, breath, walk, stretch, and rest.

Jkm7,

Thank you for posting your story so quickly after surgery and I am glad to hear you are doing so well.

It must be a fear of most of us who have had OHS that there will need to be a "redo" sometime in the future. It made me feel much better that you seemed to weather this second storm and were able to say, "This time was very much easier for me and I have had less pain and have generally felt very much better throughout the surgery and immediate recovery period."

I wish you continued good health and an uneventful recovery.

Thank you for sharing your story and so quickly. You're correct when you say my greatest fear is another OHS. I'm six weeks post op and still have some shoulder pain though not as severe as it was.
Please stay with us that's what VR is all about.
Earline

So glad you are home and it turned out to be such a good experience. I am especially glad that you intend to stick around and help other newbies in the waiting room. I look forward to your contributions!:)

Welcome home! Be good to yourself. Walking, sleeping, eating and breathing are your only tasks for a few weeks.

Welcome home. Home never seems sweeter than when you have been in a hospital.I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.

Nice post...

Nice post...

Welcome home...and praying for a speedy, uneventful recovery for you!

Thank you, all.

I just want to mention for those wondering about how many can and how many cannot......

The first night home, I placed two very large, fully stuffed king size pillows on the bed with several more pillows (various sizes) nearby if wanted. I have been reasonably comfortable sleeping on just the two king pillows both of the nights I have been in my own bed. :)

SO glad to hear from you Judy! Congratulations on a safe journey. You sound wonderful. Take good care, Barbara

Ah, yes, "home sweet home" --- nothing like it my friend! So glad to know you're home & on your way to a good & uneventful recovery! Take good care & enjoy life!:)

Jkm,

WELCOME HOME!!!!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You take the good, you take the bad" ... Gloria Loring ... 'The Facts Of Life'

Happy to see your post and congratulations on your
sucessful surgery.always so good to get home and
get your well deserved rest now.

zipper2

Latest posts

Back