I'm having valve replacement surgery on August 13th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamJE

This is my first post to the forum. I just learned about it yesterday.

Warning- This is going to be long. My spelling isn't the greatest and some of my usage of some terms may be off. My learning of my heart condition only taking place in the last 8 or 9 days. I haven't had the chance to thoroughly educate myself yet.

To help anyone reading this post, I put in links to some of my past health or personal experiences. I've been blogging for over 3 years at various websites, frequent participant at golf forum set up similar to this one, and been a member of a Melanoma support group for most of a decade. I've shared bits of my life story before.

My name is Bill and I live in South Florida. For 19 years I been married to Leonita. We have no living children. A son we had who we named Daniel died 14.5 hours after his birth in 2003. So its just us except for our two cats. My mother-in-law(Who I get along with great) is out of the country visiting her other children at this time.

To start my story properly, I better go back to 2005. That's when I suffered a Pulmonary embolism or PE. It taking place almost exactly three years to this date. I had what is called a saddle emboli, and was very lucky to survive. Ever since the 2005 PE, I've been on a daily dosage of coumadin.

Because of the PE, I was hospitalized for ten days. During the stay I spent 4 days in the SICU plus had a filter placed in my neck to prevent future PEs. While I was in the hospital I was told about spots on my adrenal glands. Since I am a malignant melanoma survivor, tests were done after I left the hospital to see if my cancer had metastized. A couple of MRIs and a Pet scan were all negative.

What Leonita and I have recollection of, is any doctor telling us that my aorta was enlarged. We only learned this in the last 10 days and I'll be getting to that in a moment. When I left the hospital, I was never referred to a cardiologist.

Then on July 30th of this year, while at home working, I became seriously short of breath. My wife who was at work at the time, came home after I called her and called 911. I was then taken to the same hospital as in 2005. The doctors went about trying to rule out either CGF(Congestive heart failure) or another PE at first. After some tests, including a cat scan, I was told about my having a bicuspid heart valve. That the valve was very enlarged(6 cm?) and that I would be needing surgery. This happened Thursday or Friday of last week.

The news came as a shock, for other than the episode on July 30, I had really no symptoms. Plus I was feeling much better barely a day after my admission to the hospital last week. I was off the nose canula and on room air barely 24 hours after going in the hospital and up walking around. Also sometimes since 2005 I would get short of breath but not as bad as last week, but I always chalked it up to my past PE. That as I have learned was wrong. I even walk one to two miles a day. The diagnosis was a big shock to me and Leonita.

A cardiac cath was done on this last Monday. It wasn't done sooner because my INR level was too high. The catherization confirmed the heart valve problem, while also discovering I had no other heart blockages. My now deceased father twice had heart bypass surgery.

The heart surgeon at my hospital is named Dr. Lester.(He looks alot like now deceased actor John Larch. I'm an old-time television show buff. During my recent hospitalization, I spent alot of time watching DVDs of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Mission Impossible shows from the 60's. Larch appeared on the later) He saw me on the first Friday I was at the hospital, then again on this last Tuesday. I have other medical issues, high bp, my past cancer, diabeties, cellulitis in both my legs which has caused me to spend time in the hospital in both 2001 and 2007 plus I'm way overweight. The doctor decided he would operate on me, but we first talked about me going to a surgeon who specializes in this work. Dr. Lester thinking I may be better with someone who did these operations more than he has.

My going to Gainesville Florida U of fl Shands hospital, or to Texas were talked about. It would have immensely difficult financially for me(I'll get to this later) Dr. Lester I think was being honest with me, I appreciate it. He just wanted the very best for me.

What caused my episode that brought me to the hospital is unclear. A cardiologist have said it wasn't a heart attack, nor was it CGF.

On wednesday of this week, I was discharged. I was ruled stable, and since getting back home I've had no problems. Some pre-op tests were done before my discharge, a carotoid ultrasound plus a pulmonary test, others will take place on Tuesday before I go in the hospital the next day. Those are a chest x-ray and another ultrasound. On Monday I go back to the hospital for other pre-op too.

Since coming home, I've been researching what I've been diagnosed with and what I'm facing in a few days. While in the hospital I did none of this, in spite of having my laptop available. I think I was in too much shock at first to want to google my condition. Either that or the lack of wifi and having to use AOL dial up discouraged me. :rolleyes:

Yes I've learned more than I ever wanted to about aortic regurgitation, heart
aneyurisms, CGF, saddle emboli and a whole lot of other stuff just recently. Sometimes I'm confused about what applies to me, this coming out of the blue on me in such a short time.

In addition to finding this website, and my google searches, I've been talking to two nurses. My wife Leonita is Filipino, and I guess many of you know already just how many nurses in the USA are from the Philippines. Leonita isn't a nurse, but her sister Leonette is. Leonette works telemetry at Miami Jackson's heart center. Another nurse named Zarah whose a close friend of Leonita and Leonette, works in the ICU of the hospital where I will have surgery. She knows dr. lester and is full of info about what I facing in a few days. While I was in the hosp, Zarah visited me in addition to coming over last night to see how I was doing and to let me ask some questions about what is coming up.

To say I'm very anxious about the operation is an understatement. For all the medical problems and my weight I mentioned already are most but not all the reason I'm scared. My job is also up in the air, I could be laid off the week after my surgery. If I lose my job and can't find work right away either because of the economy or my surgery, me and Leonita are 6 months from financial ruin. My wife works and through her we have our health insurance. But monthly expenses down here will make the $10,000 or so we have in the bank vanish fast.

I work at home, I have a good boss(Who I seldom see in person but email or talk to on the phone. Jac is the ideal boss :cool:) who is understanding of what's going on right now. Still he doesn't know whether I will be kept or laid off. It's not his decision, he's even in the same boat as I. :(

My work involves me mostly being online all day. Not terribly strenuous, but I've had problems concentrating since getting home and have to wonder this would be worse after surgery. How do I work then a few weeks after I come home? My wife keeps telling me not to worry, someone here tell me that too. Better yet, hit me with something. LOL :eek:

Leonita BTW has lots of sick and vacation days built up. She is planning to stay home with me for at least the first 3 weeks after I come out of the hospital. She'll be with me early on after surgery, but will probably work some when I'm out of ICU. The hospital is barely 2 miles from our home, and 3.5 from her work. That makes Leonita's job easier, but she was worn out just from last week's hospital stay.

While I'm in the hospital, Leonita will bring me anything I need. All I intend to bring Wednesday is me, but in the car will be my eyeglasses, slippers, and pillow. She'll fetch whatever I need when I need it. Maybe a book or my laptop when I get out of ICU, but I've been reading here how some people didn't need these. The pain will make day-time television palatable, for I'd rather endlessly watch my computer's screensaver than soap operas or reality television shows.

Any thoughts on what I should bring or Leonita should have handy, I would greatly appreciate.

Oh and yesterday the hospital called. They want a pint of blood from me(or money) as my deductible and out of pocket limit hasn't been reached this year. The caller telling me at first she was pre-registering me, but that seemed silly and I said so, since I was out of the hospital barely 48 hours. What can change in that amount of time? Oh they want my money. I know hospitals are businesses, but a decade of being a cancer survivor, 4 hospitalizations just for me(Not Leonita too) since 2001, have made me well acquainted with 'mistakes' made when it comes to my medical bills.(The real word I'd use 80% of the time isn't mistakes but a five letter word starting with an f and ends with a d. Often heard in association with words like check, bunco, medicare, medicaid. I think you know what I'm saying ;) ) The call was just aggravating. Dr. Lester's bill is going to be huge, but his office isn't calling me about payment. If I tell the hospital on Monday like I did on the phone yesterday, that I can pay very little upfront, would they cancel my surgery? No they won't, but then why add to the anxiety a patient is having. Especially one who has paid their bills in the past.(I'm making dedicated monthly payments on the balance from my 05 and 07 stays in the hospital)

That's my story, I know every patient has a different story. No two of us are alike.

I think that covers everything. Anyone still reading or awake now? :p

Just wanted to "welcome" you to the site & wish you the very best on your upcoming OHS on Wednesday.

From now until then, try to relax & not to worry too much about anything. (I know, that's easier said then done but we've all been there before & the fears & anxiety you are feeling right now are very real & very normal!

Concentrate on the fact that this will be behind you soon & that you'll be able to get on with your life real soon! :)

You'll be in my prayers!

welcome

welcome

I think you have found the right place for sharing your issues and finding good answers and support! Welcome to the site!

Best wishes,
Ivo

Welcome to the site, William. I added you to our calendar, so it's official. Wishing you the best for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

Welcome to VR. Sorry for the circumstances but glad you found us. Thanks for sharing your story. You've come to the right place for information, insights, and support. Best wishes and good luck.

While I know the financial situation is bad for you and your worried about it, you really have no control. If you don't have surgery, none of the money is going to matter to you anyhow because your not going to be around to enjoy it much longer. That's the brut force of reality talking. Believe me, I know what it's like and I'm clinging on to the financial side for dear life myself and watching slowly it go down the toilet. Won't be too long until were flushed also.

Wow!!!!!

Wow!!!!!

Sounds like you have got your hands full. As stated above, this is the right place for you to get help and support for your medical issues. Ask away! Be nervous but not PANICKED! Panic doesn't allow you to react when you need to. It will all work out in the end.

Hi William ~ Goodness, i'm so sorry that you have to go through all this at the same time. It's hard enough to have to have valve surgery, but to possibly lose your job too must be devastating to you. All i can tell you is to do like i do and to TRY to enjoy each day and not to worry about the future. I say "try" because sometimes it's not easy and, if you've read any of my posts, you'll see i'm not always good at doing this.

Good news that you just need your valve replaced. Once it's replaced you should be just fine. That's what my dr. said anyway. He said the people with the most problems also had blocked arteries or some other heart problem besides the valve. Still not a piece of cake to go through, but a much better outcome.

Come in and chat anytime. There's a really nice bunch of people here who know a lot about valve replacement. Sometimes you just need to vent when life gets too rough for you, and this is a great place to come. People here have been through it and know it's just not easy to go through sometimes.

Sorry for the reason you're here, but i'm glad to have you here. My best wishes and prayers are with you William.

Hi William and Welcome to the family.
Your surgery is this Wednesday...Aug. 13th?

Your so fortunate to have found this site before surgery........I didn't.

May I suggest that you have ear plugs handy once your moved from ICU.

Your in my prayers.

Hi William and Welcome to the family.
Your surgery is this Wednesday...Aug. 13th?

Your so fortunate to have found this site before surgery........I didn't.

May I suggest that you have ear plugs handy once your moved from ICU.

Your in my prayers.
Thanks.

My surgery is August 13th. I think 10 a.m. and I have to be at the hospital at 6. I'll know for sure about the times when I go to pre-op on Monday.

I'm glad to have found the forum too. Maybe once I'm out of ICU I can get Leonita to update everyone.

Plugs, you mean earplugs? Why should I get them? After ICU I will be on the same floor that I was just on till Wednesday.(I was in the same unit after my PE in 2005 too) It isn't noisy up there, as long as my room door is closed tight. I always told the PCAs, nurses and other staff to close the door when leaving. At some point, a sign was put on my door to tell people to always close it.

Or will it be noisy because of machines in the room? Just trying to learn things I need to know, thank you for the help.

Bill

Hi William,

Welcome to the site. I will be thinking of you on August 13th and keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Blessings,

Welcome Bill,

YEP, I think you are a little 'wound up' over your fate.

Take some Deep Breaths and know that just about everyone here (or their family member) has been through Heart Surgery and SURVIVED.

Since you are already on Coumadin for your PE, I *assume* the surgeon is recommending a Mechanical Valve. You may want to look over the On-X Valve which has several technological improvements over the older models. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

The St. Jude Masters Series Valves hold the record for Longevity at 30 years and counting. See www.sjm.com

Did you get a Chest CT or MRI? Those tests are the Best Way to check your *entire* Aorta for aneurisms. The standard Echocardiogram cannot visualize the entire aorta.

I'm not totally clear, but I 'think' you have an aneurism so you will want to be sure your surgeon has lots of experience dealing with Surgery of the Aorta (which goes way beyond basic bypass and valve replacement surgery).

Be thankful that you live in an age and time when all of these problems can be FIXED and there are surgeons who know how to do it!

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard

Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard

Al,

I had a chest CT the first night I was in the hospital. It was the next day that I first learned I would need a heart valve replacement.

You are probably right it is a heart aneurysm. But I've heard so many new terms in the last 10-12 days, I get confused. If I saw the surgeon again, I'd ask about the valve. Unfortunately I'll be in lala land the next time Dr. Lester is in a room with me. Right now surgery is 3 days, 2 hours and 45 minutes away but who's counting?

Yesterday marked three years exactly since I was hospitalized for my PE. I was actually having symptoms for 2-3 days before. What's it about me having medical calamities at this time of the year?

Some things I didn't mention in my original post. Positives going into surgery.

I've never smoked. Not even a puff
My alcohol intake has always been very low. I think I've had half a beer since the turn of the millennium.

After I leave the ICU, I go back to the floor where I was this year and in 2005. The nurses and PCSas with one exception are great. If I get Izzy, Annette, Neil, Francis, Joanna, Evanna, Vivienne(Even if she has no sense of humor. I'm known to make wisecracks and sarcastic comments. If I run out of material, I say my joke writer hasn't called or written.), I'm in good hands.

This weekend the PGA Championship golf is on. Or was supposed to be on, there was a rain delay yesterday. Last night there was a dolphins football game, so I got some distractions to keep my mind off surgery some. Of all things going on right now, my writing muse has suddenly kicked into gear. I've got over 30 sci-fi/fantasy stories posted on the internet. For months I been working on a serial, which I'm up to part 9 of right now. Before I went in the hospital I was finding it hard to write. Writers often go through phases where they can't put three words together. Yesterday and Friday I was spinning off words and pages so easily. Why now all of a sudden?

Bill

Welcome Bill,

YEP, I think you are a little 'wound up' over your fate.

Take some Deep Breaths and know that just about everyone here (or their family member) has been through Heart Surgery and SURVIVED.

Since you are already on Coumadin for your PE, I *assume* the surgeon is recommending a Mechanical Valve. You may want to look over the On-X Valve which has several technological improvements over the older models. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

The St. Jude Masters Series Valves hold the record for Longevity at 30 years and counting. See www.sjm.com

Did you get a Chest CT or MRI? Those tests are the Best Way to check your *entire* Aorta for aneurisms. The standard Echocardiogram cannot visualize the entire aorta.

I'm not totally clear, but I 'think' you have an aneurism so you will want to be sure your surgeon has lots of experience dealing with Surgery of the Aorta (which goes way beyond basic bypass and valve replacement surgery).

Be thankful that you live in an age and time when all of these problems can be FIXED and there are surgeons who know how to do it!

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back