I'm feeling scared

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Norma Jean (Wasn't that Marilyn Monroe's real name? :) ), geckley (I see that you're new. What's your story?), and Tom (I got a very friendly, upbeat vibe from your post. Thanks for the good vibes!).
I guess the positive side of this nerve-wracking waiting is that it's giving me time to learn as much as I can, and to get these caring posts (although I don't know how to answer posts individually and I still can't seem to get notified through my email).
I'm so grateful for all the kind words!
Laura
Hi Laura, welcome to VR.com. I found this site post op but I know that a 3rd surgery lurks in the murky future (I intend to outlive my prosthesis) so I contribute what I can.

In order to receive email notification of replies to this thread (works the same for any other you set, too) you go to the top RH corner where the button "Thread Tools" sits and after clicking, select "subscribe to this thread" from the dropdown menu. This will take you to a webpage of instructions and email notification options you can choose.

Take Heart, though the wait seems long, time really does fly.
Pamela.

Hi Laura ~ I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to this community of wonderful, caring people. It's normal to be scared...i am still in the waiting room (maybe permanently) and i know i'm close to terrified. There are lots of people here who know a lot about heart surgery to help you. Try to do like i'm trying to do and enjoy every day for what it's worth...we've had lots of beautiful, sunny days lately and there is something calming about being outside with nature (for me, anyway). I'm sure when the time comes for your surgery that you will do just fine. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care

Hi and welcome, Laura. When I found out I needed AVR I was floored.........even though I had known in my mind I'd more than likely need one someday. When that someday came I had no idea what the procedure entailed and I was scared: but, with the help of the wonderful people on this site, I calmed down and found out lots of stuff that made everything much easier. Remember (I had to keep telling myself this), knowledge is power! Also there are lots of folks here who will lift you in prayer when the time comes. You've come to the right place! :)

Welcome to this site! There are lots of smart and nice people here who will answer all of your questions.

I had a mitral valve replacement 10 years ago. I had Rheumatic Fever with endocarditis in 1976. I didn't have stenosis, I had insufficiency. My leaflets were damaged and had vegetation from the endocarditis, so my biggest problem was regurgitation. It's always amazing when I hear people who say that their doctors think they had RF. I was in the hospital for a month and missed 3 months of school, so there was definitely no mistaking what my valve problem was caused by. However, I guess it's possible that you could have a mild case and not know it. It's also possible that you could have a congenital problem that just showed up.

Anyway, this is a fairly common surgery now, and getting more technologically advanced with time. It's amazing to me how much things have changed in the 10 years since my surgery. You will come out of this even stronger!

Welcome to this site! There are lots of smart and nice people here who will answer all of your questions.

I had a mitral valve replacement 10 years ago. I had Rheumatic Fever with endocarditis in 1976. I didn't have stenosis, I had insufficiency. My leaflets were damaged and had vegetation from the endocarditis, so my biggest problem was regurgitation. It's always amazing when I hear people who say that their doctors think they had RF. I was in the hospital for a month and missed 3 months of school, so there was definitely no mistaking what my valve problem was caused by. However, I guess it's possible that you could have a mild case and not know it. It's also possible that you could have a congenital problem that just showed up.

Anyway, this is a fairly common surgery now, and getting more technologically advanced with time. It's amazing to me how much things have changed in the 10 years since my surgery. You will come out of this even stronger!

I remember when I came down w/Rheumatic Fever when I was 21 years old, I was in complete bed-rest for 3 months. I was so weak that our family doctor's nurses would have to come to our house to give me the penicillin injections which were sooooo painful! :( My mom & dad would take turns helping me out of bed to make it to the bathroom & my dear mom having to help me wash because I couldn't manage on my own. I had to eat all my meals while in bed too. I thank God that I had my parents to nurse me during these times; don't know what I would have done without them, God rest their precious souls!

Laura,

Welcome and Godspeed . . . I am three weeks postop today from my AVS. I will tell you that the days leading up to the surgery were much more stressful than after the procedure. Why do I say that? Well, the week prior to my procedure I was fighting a little cold, and was completely isolated from people, so my imagination was working overtime. I obsessed about the surgery, the surgeon, the pain, the potential complications after the surgery, my recovery, the Coumadin forever, you name it. . . I had it spinning around in my head. I had trouble sleeping just like you did.

The reality, as I remember it. . . The surgery was completely successful, and I was off the ventilator in a couple of hours. I don't have any way to measure a couple of hours, so it could have been about 20 minutes, but it was late afternoon or early evening You just won't have a frame of reference, and you will be on so many powerful drugs that's okay. Other than all of the checks and beeps and some of the activities overnight you will probably get some sleep.

The next day the nurses tried to start feeding me, got me up for a lap around the nurses station and kept my pain under control with Dilaudid. That made me pretty nauseous, so they added Reglan and I was in and out on demand. Mostly just resting today, to get ready to leave the ICU for the Telemetry Unit. The ICU has better/more comfortable beds.

Late afternoon day two, they finally had a bed for me upstairs and away we went. You will have a bunch of tubes to contend with - 02, Chest Tubes, Foley, IV (s), Central Lines. . . . They will prove to be a hassle when you try and walk over the next couple of days. The chest tubes are heavy and pass through your diaphragm. They are made of a tacky rubber, so that you can relieve the pressure of their weight by rearranging them on the bedsheets. My O2 cannula was irritating the tops of my ears by now, so the respiratory tech got some nifty pads that fit on the tubes, much appreciated.

The next three days you will be concentrating on gaining strength, walking, reducing the amount of output from your chest tubes and any drains anywhere else. They will probably pull the Foley, in an attempt to get you up and moving pretty early in the process. Then either the PT, or OT or Nurses will get you up and walking 150 feet or so three or four times a day and they will suggest that you eat a meal 3 times a day sitting up in your chair.

It just gets better every day, you get stronger, less apprehensive about every little noise or issue and before you know it you are in the car going home.

I know that I have oversimplified this process, but it is not as bad as all of the fears and apprehensions that we can ascribe to it before we have gone through it. You have great surgeons, and frankly this is surgery that is performed with tremendous success more frequenly than ever. Best of luck to you . . . I hope you come through with flying colors!

Last edited:
How nice to 'meet' even more vr'ers! Thank you for sharing your stories and advice. I have tried to subscribe, Pamela, and I think I am subscribed, but, for some reason, my email address isn't working for this site, at least not yet. Thanks for your help!; Dawn-Marie, thanks and I wish you the same. I actually have felt better since joining this group; Lisa (member extraordinaire! :) ), it's really nice to hear that you're doing fine after 10 years; Norma, how wonderful that you remember such a painful time with so much love; and Rob, thanks for the details. I didn't know about all those tubes and I never even heard of chest tubes (yuck!). Are they commonly used in ohs?
Thanks again, everybody!
Laura

Sorry, Ruthie, I skipped you when I was answering the posts. Did you travel to Boston for your surgery? How was it being away from home and family/friends? And, who is that beautiful baby in your photo?

Laura, in answer to your questions- we flew to Boston from NC for my surgery because of a specific surgeon....were gone two weeks. My husband was there the entire time and one of our children flew in around the actual surgery for several days. That was much needed support for my husband! I think it would be pretty lonely to be far from home and have no one to be with you during the worrisome hours..... Our hotel had a shuttle to the hospital which made life easier for him (he often walked,though). Our laptop (wi-fi on the ward) and cell phone were invaluable for keeping in touch. The sweet one in the picture is our little granddaughter, baby Lis, who has a 4-year old sister, Kate. My best medicine for recovery was the birth of granddaughter #3, Hannah, a week after we got home (they wheeled me in to see her at 4 minutes of age). :)

Laura, I grew up with medical people telling me rheumatic fever was the cause of valve problems. As a young adult that view was changed and a genetic abnormality became the received wisdom.
Two valve replacements later and to be honest it bothers me not what the cause was. I think analysing the past serves little purpose. Look to the future and try to think positive. :)

Latest posts

Back