I'm BACK!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Janie-
Do you think the showing th gate agent your incision trick works even 10 (or longer) months post -op? I'd like to be able to get an upgrade to first class the next time David and I go over to Scotland!

Have you used this trick? Does it work?

My scar still looks pretty gruesome because its all hypertrophic and red.

-Mara

no cheeseburgers for me!!

no cheeseburgers for me!!

Hey Janie! I WISH I coud have a cheeseburger! But between the bread and the cheese, that's more salt than I can have in one meal! Even mustard has salt, it's just ridiculous! But out here in Minnesota they have Black Angus steer, and boy, is that good! Lean and mean, I have never seen such fat-free beef in my life!! The pepper shaker has become a very good friend these days....!

My old roomie has been calling me periodically - she's a pediatrician - so I've been bouncing a few things off of her. She says that the "muscle spasms" I've been having are really the scar tissue forming, or at least the irritation, from where the chest tubes were, between my lungs and the wall of my chest cavity (something like this). Apparently where these two meet is usually slippery and smooth, but after a foreign object has been in there, it is now sticky, like a skinned knee, and it "catches" a lot. She said deep breathing will help. This has subsided a bit, though, so breathing is going well now!

Hmm, I would love that first class seat....! As far as I'm concerned, they can look at my scar all they want. Ah, if I had a dollar for everyone who's ever looked at my chest....!! I saw an x-ray of my chest at the hospital, it shows the wire spiraling around my sternum, going in between my ribs. Will this set off the security at the airport??!!

Mara, you were on that pump for quite a while. Must have really messed you up. I still haven't found the paper that has my pump times on it. I'll ask the surgeon on when I see him on Wednesday. Saturday night we played Scrabble here, and I beat the pants off everyone! Of course, I was playing against two GUYS, so you have to take that into account (hee hee!) Parental Units? They have been calling me EVERY DAY! It really took me by surprise, but it's quite nice! Of course, my mother uses the time to give a detailed account of everything she did that day, but that's okay!! I asked my dad, what's going on, are you missing me or something??!! My dad doesn't like doctors or pills, he was taken aback when I told him I came home with five prescriptions! I told him, dad, this is CARDIAC SURGERY here, there's a lot involved.... I have been aware of some muscle-guarding, particuarly when I get those spasms. Yesterday I started getting the urge to stretch out, to do some Pilates or something. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to that sort of thing, but all the walking is waking my body up again to crave exercise....

Ross, I hope you're doing well, you have me worried. I haven't been up on the site too much except my own little postings here, so I'm not up on your situation, but hang in there. Scottie and John and all you pre-op people, HANG IN THERE!! Most likely your surgeries will go MUCH better than you fear. It will soon be over, and wow!! life will be good again. This morning I was sitting out on the deck with the doggies, in the sun, blue sky, cool breeze, no worries, listening to the purr of my heart. I almost started to cry, it has been so long since I just sat around, stress-free, and enjoyed the day. I started thinking hey, I'll have time to garden and read non-heart stuff and do some other hobbies and cooking and .... Your turn will come.

And thanks for all the continued well-wishes - Caroline and Ron and Sylvia and Nancy and Hensylee and all of you.....

Yesterday I was reading a pamphlet on aortic regurgitation, and it said that "severe" regurg is backwash of 60 cc's per beat or more. MINE was 150 cc's per beat!! YIKES!! It just amazes me that it was that bad. I remember in the two months or so before surgery, I kept worrying that something would blow before my surgery date. I kept thinking, maybe I should call and see if I can move it up....

Okay, all 4 now!

-Jennie

Jennie,
This last posting of yours just brought so much joy to my heart I can't tell you! I recall all the worry and stress you had before surgery (which all of us can relate to!)...the contrast is just striking to where you are now!

I can't tell you how much better this makes me, and I'll bet other pre-op folks feel!

But let me take you to task on that Scrabble comment about men...any time, any place, and I'll bring the board (it helps to smuggle in a few extra Q, U, X, Z and J tiles up my sleeve)!

I hope your recovery continues to go well!

By the way, my communications company has talked to your surgeon, Dr. Zehr, and he is interested in collaborating on a patient video on heart valve selection. I'll post more on this under the topic "valve selection."

Hang in there kiddo, and don't forget to try some Minnesota Walleye while you're here!

--John

The wires in your chest won't set off the metal detectors at the airport, but a hip replacement will. ;)

*Mental note to self- Minnesota Walleye, Black Angus steer, yummie*

Being that I'm not a woman, I don't know that the chest shot would get you first class seating, but you might want to try that with an Air Marshall, that may get you closer. :D Of course, that could backfire and end up getting you into a tad of trouble too?

Modesty for a heart patient? Is there such a thing? I almost laughed myself silly, when I went for the first Cardiologist visit and this young (Younger then this fossil) told me to strip and put on the nice gown. I dropped em and she looked so embarrassed. Guess she was really new to the field of nursing? I'm to the point that it doesn't matter anymore, when it comes to modesty. :p

It's great to see and hear you so much less stressed then before. Take all the time you can and enjoy life around you. I noticed many things that I hadn't really taken the time to enjoy before my inner tube burst.

John, did you make sure to write down "No nausea inducing drugs" for our surgeries? These people make it sound like some sort of intiation, maybe it is:eek:

Hi Jennie,

Welcome back! Congratulations to joining us up, on top and over the mountain! Pretty great over here, huh?

I wanted to say your first post back is fabulous. Very descriptive and of course many, like myself could relate back to their own surgery just reading your post. I think your words of advice are great. That was my outlook and since I didn't know about this forum pre-surgery, those two thoughts were the real two things that got me through it all.

Leave it in God's hands and ONE DAY AT A TIME, just ONE THING AT A TIME. Don't let it overwhelm you, just go along for the ride and make the best of the present situation, whatever that might be. We can't change what may be happening but keeping a positive attitude was the best focus I could give myself.

I'm also jealous you can type so soon. I came back to my house to use the computer 2 weeks post surgery and my fingers were all thumbs. I couldn't type if you paid me, but I did try. My hands and brain just didn't want to work together for that task. One complete sentence must have had at least 5 mistakes in it. I couldn't remember where the keys were, and I couldn't even remember how to work my email at first, or remember my password. By three weeks I was typing better. :D

It's funny to me about your breakdown of the cheeseburger. I too was quoting almost the same exact thing to my family as they wanted to include me in on Easter and they were having Ham, biscuits, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. Told them, can not do. Way too much sodium in just a 4 oz piece of the ahm! I went to my neighbors instead who served steaks!

Hoep you have a speedy recovery and i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and God Bless!

Euphoria

Euphoria

Hi Jennie,

It's great to read your posts, especially since the surgery. Like Johnny, I too remember the fear, the frustration, the anger and the dispair as you tried to arrange for the support you would have liked to have had before and during surgery and recovery. However, your plans fell apart for various reasons and you were left to face this monster by yourself.

Fortunately, you had friends here and made friends in Minn. who really came through for you. You were very brave and very focused on what you needed and wanted. I can't imagine that it was easy, but you pulled through fabulously and you're a better person for it now.

Handling the shock of being told that you have serious heart problems, going through a series of tests to confirm the severity of the problem, and then being faced with the decisions of where to have the surgery done and by whom are very stressful. However, the biggest decision is weither to have the surgery at all, especially when you are relatively asymptomatic. You did all this and more, and managed without the same kind of support most of us have during this period.

My point in all this rambling is this: You are a strong and resourceful woman who made the most difficult decisions of her life and handled a very serious problem with grace and dignity. You didn't cruble when things got toughed. You perceverved. You need to acknowlegde the strenght you have and use the memory of this experience when you are faced with difficult decisions or situations in the future. You're quite a girl!

I understand the euphoria you are feeling now. Life is grand! You've got a second chance. You've added many, many years to your life. What's not to be happy about?

Keep smiling and being happy and maintain your positive attitude for as long as you can. In a few months, this will beging to fade, unless you guard against it. We have a habit of focusing on future problems more than on past successes.

Perhaps this was God's way to make you a stronger and more independent person

I hope some of this makes sense to you. Keep up the fine recovery and let us know where you fly back home.

Ron K

Ron,
May I second all those nice things you said? I think it is true that all the trials and tribulations faced by heart surgery patients represent a special opportunity to grow and see life from a new perspective. I am hopeful that I can face my own surgery with the same courage, strength and optimism that Jennie and so many others here have.

Your words and wisdom provide insight to all of us. Thank you.
--John

Hey Jennie
I had that "catching" feeling, I sometimes still get it. I wrote it off as the bone callus at the top of my sternum.

I am glad you are doing so well. Wahoooo!

John, the t.v. super-star, you have some big shoes to fill as the next Mayo patient! You'd better get into training!
And Brooks and Ross, too!

-Mara

Jennie

Your story helps me deal with the looming surgery. Thank you and best of lucks

Hi Jennie,
Hope you are doing well. Enjoyed your previous posts and hope that you are continuing to do well. I would like to see you update your interesting story concerning a new type of valve on a continuing basis. Sincere best wishes,
Don
AVR 4-12-2002 @ Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Cosgrove
CE Pericardial Valve (Bovine)

Latest posts

Back