I'm BACK!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Hi Folks!

I'm back online here, just checking in to see how everyone's doing! Thanks SO MUCH to all of you who sent me email well-wishes, even from some of you that I haven't really talked to in the past - it was trully encouraging to receive them every day while I was in the hospital! And all my thanks to JenniferO and Mara for keeping you updated as I moved through the surgery scene! :p

Trully, I must say, it was almost like a party. Except for the pain and all that! As you may recall, my aunt and uncle were suddenly prevented from coming with me to Mayo Clinic. I had gotten to know a couple families in Minnesota during my visits to the Clinic, and when they heard I would be coming alone, they rose to the challenge! One of the women is a nurse on the Pre-Op floor, and happened to be working when I came in, so she grabbed my chart. I was so busy laughing, I hardly had time to think about the surgery! This nurse-friend was there with me in the hospital as much as possible on her time off and during her breaks, she made sure that I was well taken care of. But, really, I think I had only one or two meals throughout my entire stay where I didn't have one or more of these families as visitors. It was wonderful. I also had a good friend pop in from Florida the night before, so he hung out for a few days to make sure I was okay. And the cards and calls and beautiful flowers and meeting people out on my "rounds" about the floor....

The surgery itself went really well, so I am told. I got the CryoLife SynerGraft aortic homograft and aorta conduit as planned, perfect fit, beautiful installation, no leak, gradient of 6. Apparently my valve was so trashed, curled up (I believe they are wondering if it was rheumatic). They said I should have had it done a year ago. This was Dr. Zehr's first aortic CryoValve, and I am signed up to be part of a study for this valve over the next five years (25 people from Mayo Clinic, 25 people from U of Oklahoma). They'll be doing blood tests to measure the antigens (if any) that my body is forming against this valve, plus echos.

So, I crawled on the table at 1:00 last Tuesday (April 23), asked if everyone had eaten, asked if we had some valves in the fridge, and was out like a light. I woke up at 11:00 pm in the ICU, and I must say, that was the longest night of my life. But, it was do-able. The breathing tube was making me gag and feel panicky-nauseous, but that finally came out somewhere between 2:00 and 4:00 am, which was a nasty experience. Then they waited for the morphine to wear off more, so the pain set in, and then they started me on Darvaset, which also made me nauseous. At 9:00 am or so, they started cutting IV's out of me, particularly the big swan IV in my neck. They pulled out the heart line (?) and monitors and such. I'm not sure when the pacemaker wires came out, my guess is that those came out with the chest tubes, about 10:30 am. Those chest tubes were in so tight it took some extra yanks, oh my goodness!!

So they rolled me out to a regular room around 10:45 or so, less than 24 hours after my surgery began! When I got to the room, they ditched my cath, and I was on my own except for an IV, some oxygen, and the external monitors. I tried to get up for a walk at some point that day (Wednesday) but my BP was very low, and I was so dizzy, I wasn't going anywhere. Generally, Wednesday and Thursday were just miserable - I looked "great", but felt lousy. Dizzy, nauseous, and zero appetite. When it takes you an hour to down a little bowl of red Jello, you know something's wrong!! I chucked up a few times, and they switched me to Tylox, and by late Thursday afternoon, I had turned the corner and was feeling so much better.

Anyway, fast-forward. Generally, my heart rate has been quite high, 90 bpm asleep, 100 bpm lying at rest, 110 moving around, 122 when I get back from a walk. I thought I was going home on Monday, but my hemoglobin was at 7.7, and they kept me another day and gave me two units of blood. On Tuesday morning my hemoglobin was up to 9.9, my heart rate seems to have slowed about 10 bpm or so, but my INR was 1.9 (blood a little thin). So, they took some blood and my phone number and let me go! FREEDOM!! Late last night and today I am getting some ectopic beats, probably some PVC's / skipped beats. If this continues, I'll go to the clinic tomorrow to get checked out.

So. I'm BACK! In general, this was not the Big Nasty Experience that I had feared so much. God trully saw me through beautifully, praise his Name! I also have to thank the many people that have been praying on my behalf, all my supportive friends, plus my excellent surgeon and the fantastic nurses. I really sailed through the whole experience, and I am really very grateful for that. I saw so many of the other folks on the floor there, just in sad shape, trying to pull through their rough times, and I am so thankful that my "rough time" was so short. Of course, I have a long road ahead of me, I know that depression will set in at some point, I know that there's a lot here that hasn't really hit me yet.... But, I am trying to have a positive outlook and be thankful for the blessing that have been given to me.

Just a little note, in one of my naps today I dreamt that this surgery stuff was actually some sort of prep for my REAL surgery, and that I was supposed to report this afternoon for the REAL surgery, and it had me quite upset by the time I woke up...!! Glad it wasn't true!

Anyway, I'll be hanging around here a lot now, I hope! Just checking in....

-Jennie

Last edited:
Hey Jennie
I am so glad you are "home" and doing so well.

The second day post-op was the worst for me. I was vomiting up Oxycontin until they switched me to Tylenol 4. I couldn't keep the jell-o down, so I had a lot of popsicles. Nothing tasted good.

Glad you got the CryoLife, you bionic woman, you. Please keep us informed of the study you are in. I am really interested to know what they say. I bought some stock in CryoLife so I have a shareholders interest in you now.

You are way ahead of me, my brain was so fuzzy I couldn't type for weeks! I had a bunch of books I wanted to read and could not concentrate. All I can say is God bless the Game Show Network!

Do you know how long your surgery was and what the time was on the by-pass pump? Mine was long, like 7 hours total, 4 or 5 on the pump. Ughh. The Ross is a pain that way.

You made it!!!!!!

-Mara

Hi Jennie

Welcome to the 'top of that mountain'. Wow, your a fast climber. Amazing!

Keep the positive thoughts intact, depression is not imminent.
Chin up;) Don't look back.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
PS. Was wondering if you will take Coumadin with the conduit?

Well Jennie:

You certainly sound perfectly lucid and no sign of pump-head syndrome, though you may be feeling it personally. I too had a bad bout with the nausea for the three days after my surgery.

Be patient and gentle with yourself at this point. I think I expected a lot faster recovery than I got and I was frustrated that every little effort seemed to require a two hour nap afterward in the recliner. At three months, I still feel some soreness and fragility in the chest. And, for me, it is taking some time for the post-traumatic stress syndrome to subside. So, while depression is not a given, it also is common.

As for the PVCs, they are common after valve surgery. I still am having them, but I had my three-month checkup with my cardiologist today who said not to worry about them, they are also very common in the general population and unless they are actually really troublesome to the person experiencing them (I don't even notice them) he prefers not to medicate because the side-effects of the medication are often more troublesome than the PVCs.

You sound like you are doing great; if you have anything that worries or troubles you, be sure to ask here. Odds are, someone has experienced it and can give you advice and reassurance.

Hugs,
Jennifer

Last edited:
Glad you made it 'over the mountain' Jennie !

You SOUND really good.

I was interested in the number of comments on post surgery nausea. I remember throwing up right on my incision as they wheeled me back to my room from the CICU (zig zagging the whole way because of a locked wheel on the recliner).

Having experienced nausea from pain medications in the past, I asked my surgeon for something with fewer side effects. I don't remember what he gave me, but after the first day, I felt MUCH better. That first day however was NOT pleasant. I didn't want to move anything. Even sitting in the recliner was unpleasant as I just didn't want my head to move AT ALL.

'AL'

Great News!

Great News!

Welcome back Jennie! It sounds like you are doing great. I contacted Dr. Zehr last week with all of my particulars to see if I could get a Synergraft also. He emailed back almost immediately and said I would be a perfect candidate. Hopefully my ins co won't give me any trouble and I'll be able to get my fancy new valve in a few weeks. Thanks for the super detailed post, that is the kind of play-by-play that is great for people planning a similar surgery. I was extremely impressed by the response from Dr. Zehr and the nurses at Mayo, I am conisistently able to get quicker, better attention from them than I am my own cardio office. Are you going to your own cardio back home for all the follow up or are you supposed to go back to Mayo at 6 or 12mos. It's great to see you back in here, we've all been pulling for you!

Brooks

Good for you Jennie-

Sounds as if you're doing just fne. You'll see daily improvement and soon you'll be feeling much better than before.

Continued good recovery.

Hi Jennie - It worked out just like we planned. You are out of the hospital and I am back from my cruise. Glad to hear you had a less than horrible experience (I think you made it sound just a little too good). I did think about you on my 25th anniversary. While I was celebrating, you were in surgery. I know, nice contrast. Anyway, I did give you my one minute of prayer during my fun day. Hope you continue to get better quickly and are back to full speed soon.

Hi Jennie,

'Glad to hear you're doing so well.

I'm really impressed by the friends you made and the care you got in the hospital. It sounds like you had plenty of support during every step of the way, even thought your plans with your family fell apart. (by the way, I hope your aunt that required surgery is doing okay too.)

I hope your rcovery goes smoothly. Find the pace that's right for you. Don't push yourself too much, especially in the first couple of weeks, but don't sluff off either. Your body will let you know how much is right. Listen to it and be sure to get enough rest. I remember taking a nap every afternoon for about 2 or 3 weeks, something I never did before. But as my stamina came back, the need for the naps went away.

Keep posting. We're all interested in how you are doing. Please let your new friends know that we admire them too.

Ron K

Welcome home, Jennie - yours is the post we need to put in when we have someone who is new and apprehensive. That road to the OR can be a very long one and your post was filled with everything a newbie needs to hear - from step one all the way through. Happy for you that you had many hands reaching out and helping. God bless

Welcome back Jennie,

It's much better on this side of the mountain, isn't it?! And it gets better and better. Despite my recent problems, I'm still doing so much better than a year ago.

Please continue to share your story. If you hit any more bumps in the road during recovery, the folks here are a huge help. How about that John Cochran paying you a visit?

You continue to be in our prayers.

Mara: I appreciated your comments elsewhere.

Don't worry. I've never sued anyone for anything in my life and am not at all inclined to do so now either. Not that I'm that saintly; I just don't like sharing my money with no lawyers! Anyway, now that I know that you are also part owner of CryoLife (and a lawyer too), I'll especially think a few times before going after them!

Maybe I'll have a miraculous turnaround and my leak will get fixed somehow or another and CryoLife can tout it as evidence that their SynerGraft valves indeed can be repaired and maintained by the recipient's body (of course, I may be wishful thinking here having absorbed too much science fiction over the years!). Oh well.

God bless you all!

Steve,
I e-mailed you (not sure you got it) a study from the Lerner Biomedical Institute, which is the Cleveland Clinic's biomedical arm, regarding issues with pulmonary homografts placed in the aortic position. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend it.
--John

Congrats to You

Congrats to You

I am so happy that you are doing so well. You are inspiring me to take a walk. So glad you are back and be cure to ask questions during your recovery. What hastened mine was that when I had my surgery, we were heading towards fall and winter. But now that spring is here, I walk almost everyday. And my bad days are not so bad now. You keep hanging in there and inspireus all.

Caroline
Aotic valve replacment
09-13-01
St Judes valve

hey!!

hey!!

Hi again everyone!

Let's see, so many details to discuss! Brooks, I think Dr. Zehr mentioned you to me the day after my surgery (or one of those days) - he said a 30-year-old had contacted him and wanted the CryoValve, and I said I would heartily (hee hee!) recommend his services! You'll be in good hands, really. Seriously. No kidding. And from what he told me, this valve is not considered "experimental", such that an insurance company would view it any differently from a regular homograft....

Coumadin? NO. Baby aspirin once a day, until a cardio tells me to stop. However, one of Dr. Zehr's Physician Assistants said he would recommend taking a baby aspirin once a day for the rest of my life, just to be safe against clots. Not a bad idea, I can live with that! They come in those wonderful orange chewable tablets....!

Time on pump? My friends have a notebook with all that written down. I think it was about two hours, certainly no more than two and a half. I'll let you know when I get all that sorted out. I am really not feeling any of the pumphead stuff that you other pumpheads have been talking about. RATS!! I was hoping to use this to postpone my return to work! I've read magazine articles, done a couple word puzzles, browsed some books.... Not pushing anything though.

Anti-vomit meds: They gave me Zophren (?) through my IV a few times when I was on the Darvaset. And when I say I "chucked a few times", it was really only ONCE, in a controlled situation, I could feel it coming, asked for a bowl, and, well, you can figure out the rest. The other times I just felt nauseous, or attempted a chuck but there was nothing in my stomach to chuck.

PVC's: They were still happening today, but not as consistently, so I figured I'd wait until next week (I already have an appointment with Zehr on Wednesday). And really, I don't need to see HIM, it's just that I'll be in town for another two weeks or so, hanging out before the big plane ride, and so why not see The Man Himself? I wonder if the PVCs were brought on by stress. Tuesday night (after I got out of the hospital) was my friend's birthday party, so there were six kids milling about (ages 14-20), plus two dogs. The music was playing, kids were yakking at me about all sorts of fun stuff, one was playing Nintendo - you get the picture. I didn't get to bed until two....! It was fun though!

Naps: I generally get up at a normal hour, have breakfast, take a shower, and go down for a nap. Then comes lunch, and I'm fine to a point, then maybe a little snooze. Then dinner, and I'm up for the evening. Not too bad. Today around 5:00 someone asked if I minded watching the news. No, no problem! I sat down in the Lay-Z-Boy to watch, and promptly zonked out cold for two hours. I didn't realize I was that tired!

Pain meds: They said I could do any combination of Tylox and Tylenol Extra Strength, but no more than two pills in a 6-hour period, and no more than eight pills per day. So, I take one Tylox at 9:30 am and 9:30 pm (beginning of day and at "bedtime"), and one Tylenol Extra Strength at 3:30 am and 3:30 pm. I set the alarm. They told me that taking something every six hours would be better than waiting for the pain to get bad, to keep it in check. Sounded like a good plan, it seems to work fairly well for me.

One problem I seem to have is that when I wake up (from a nap, and especially in the morning), my lung capacity is diminished again, and I find it difficult and semi-painful to breathe, especially when walking. I really have to hit the little Voldyne machine and cough and practice deep breathing. But, every day, by the end of the day, I seem to be able to get the thing up just a little higher than the day before, so that's progress!

Anyway, I'm rambling..... Steve, I got your email about your situation, and am glad to hear things are getting a bit better, and will continue to pray that things will settle down with your valve. Bill, glad you enjoyed your anniversary cruise!! Thanks for your prayers, and to ALL of you for your prayers and well wishes, and the emails too!!! You guys are too sweet! And Mara, I'll do my best to keep your stock prices up!! I hope to be in touch personally soon - I've been reading emails, but not pushing myself to sit down and respond to everyone yet! And yes, it was quite the surprise to see John Cochran show up in my hospital room! That made me really feel a part of this site - I know more of you would have been there too if geography permitted!

To those who have this surgery ahead of you: My little two bits of advice is to (1) just leave it in God's hands (he's holding your life already ANYWAY!!), and (2) take it all just ONE DAY AT A TIME, just ONE THING AT A TIME. Don't let it overwhelm you, just go along for the ride and make the best of the present situation, whatever that might be. I also found that keeping in communication with my nurses was very helpful - to let them know the things that were happening and getting feedback from them.

OKAY. BEDTIME. NO LATE HOURS FOR ME!! Talk to you all soon,

Jennie

(I'm not done yakking yet!)

(I'm not done yakking yet!)

Hi again,

I guess I still have more to say!

MARA: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the gorgeous flowers!!! I was truly blown away when they arrived, I couldn't believe that someone I had never met face to face would send me such a beautiful flower arrangement! Thanks you, you are so sweet. They're still alive here, they are being tended and watered every day!

JENNIFER O: THANK YOU for the wonderful book!! Again, this was a complete surprise to me, to receive this from you! I started reading it last night, the introduction actually made me cry. This is so thoughtful of you, I really appreciate this. I am looking forward to reading the whole thing.

Another note about Darvaset and puking: In support of the nursing staff - they knew that the Darvaset was making me nauseous, and were giving me the Zophren to deal with that, but one of the nurses said that they like to keep me on the Darvaset for the first day or so after surgery, if possible, because of the benefits pain-wise. They felt the stronger drug was necessary, and that was okay with me.

The CryoValve study: They want to see me at one, three, and six months post-op for blood tests, and every year for five years for blood tests (I think) and echos. They gave me two "test kits" to take with me for my one- and three-month blood tests - they contain a vial with some sort of preservative in it, all packaged for mailing. So, I just need to go to my local doc and get the blood drawn, then throw it in the mail.

Everything I said yesterday about the pain being under control? Hah. The incision and sternum pain are pretty much okay, but I get these "corkscrew" muscle cramps which are absolutely unbelievable. I think they are from where the chest tubes were, it feels like someone is mercilessly taking a corkscrew and twisting it up the sides of my ribs, and they are sharp and fierce and really make it difficult to breathe. I was up most of the night trying to get through this. Not fun.

By the way, my aunt's surgery went well, thanks for asking. They "think" they got it all, but it will be some months before they know for sure. She'll start radiation soon, she's pretty worried. Thanks for your prayers.

-Jennie

Shucks, I haven't gotten to say welcome back yet. After seeing the surgeon for the 2nd time the other day, I got sort of depressed and forgot to get in this thread and say, "Welcome Back". I'm sorry, my head is anywhere but where it needs to be.

Jennie-
You're welcome. I knew you were up there all by yourself and would need a little "pick-me-up." Just a little way to say "you made it!"

Tell me about the puking! Ugh. I was given Oxycontin, the was in the news at the time of my surgery as the "hillbilly heroin." Let me tell you, it made me so sick. Yuk!

I had stange aches and pains post-op, too. Be careful of "muscle guarding" where you sit or walk hunched over because it makes the incision hurt less, that does a number on your neck, shoulders, and upper back. Try to walk standing up as straight as you can. After a few weeks try to make yourself stretch out your chest, it's easiest to practice in the shower with the hot water running.

Glad you are doing so well. I can't believe you can type. I was a confused mess for 2 weeks after. I blame the by-pass pump.

Glad your aunt is doing okay.

Have you heard from the parental units?

enough with the puking stuff!!

enough with the puking stuff!!

OK you two, if you're intent on comparing puking stories, please protect us queasy pre-op folks and take it outside!

Seriously, there is huge value to all of us pre-op people in hearing all of the details Jennie and others provide. Facing this (even the yucky details) is much easier when we have a clearer idea of what to expect. The unknown is a much greater generator of fear and apprehension!

Thanks, Jennie, for the very detailed accounts, especially written while you're still early in your recovery. Hang in there--we love hearing from you!
--John

Hi Jennie

Hi Jennie

Lovely to see you recovering with such a positive attitude ...Thanks for you vivid description of the whole thing ..it is comforting for us folks waiting to know it's not as bad as our worst nightmares..(and my worst ones have been corkers..one being the surgeon walking away mid op cause he got fed up and decided I wasn't worth it as I was over 40 LOL)....so when I say thanks I really do mean it ...
I hope your recovery continues the way in this positive way and look forward to hearing frequent updates on your progress
Take care
Scottie

hi jennie!
it's so great to read your posts. you sound so perky, "up" and wonderful! i'm thrilled that everything went so smoothly. glad to have you back. wishing you a continued smooth recovery.
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back