Illness & INR, What to expect.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic8Ball

mmm sitting at work after my wife was ill all weekend, she was tired, felt like being sick but wasn't, had a lack of appetite and was very loose at the bottom end (diarreha (how dow you spell that))...

Well i struggled to eat my cereal this morning, i feel off in the stomach and have just been to the toilet and, well i don't need to paint a picture do i :eek:

So, with the expectation that i'm going to be on the toilet more than off the toilet over the next couple of days and also off my food what are the expected affects on my INR for those who have gone before me....

Perhaps we could widen this question to personal experience of any illness such as the common cold, sunstroke, food posioning etc etc...also, what to do if you throw up not long after taking your coudamin, do you take it again or wait until tomorrow etc etc...

Regards.

I generally find that illness does not make a difference unless I am adding meds to the picture. If things are leaving me in ways that they shouldn't, I find that I eat less thus causing a situation where I might need less coumadin due to diet change. At the same time, if I "lose" some of the coumadin that I have taken, that might cause my INR to go down so I think everything balances out.

Now, if I add meds, I always make sure I test 4 days later because it is hard to know what affect they might have.

Unless you get really sick, I wouldn't worry. Just be sure to keep hydrated by drinking lots of water. Dehydration will cause your INR to climb. If you're throwing up right after taking your Coumadin your INR will go down. Other than that, a few days isn't going to throw you off too much.

Thanks for that, i'm on trip # 5 to the toilet today but i havent been sick yet although i feel like i could be....putting food into my mouth is not an apealing option now but i know i should push myself and have something.

My wife wasn't sick either but barely ate anything saturday at all, nor sunday morning so hopefully i won't get it so bad.

I'm constantly drinking water just in case as its liquid in, liquid out at the current time :eek: .

Regards

Latest posts

Back