If you had to do it over again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to do it over again...

• REPAIR - TISSUE

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • REPAIR - MECHANICAL

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • REPAIR - ROSS PROCEDURE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MECHANICAL - MECHANICAL

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • MECHANICAL - TISSUE

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • TISSUE - TISSUE

• TISSUE - MECHANICAL

• ROSS PROCEDURE - ROSS PROCEDURE

• ROSS PROCEDURE - MECHANICAL

• ROSS PROCEDURE - TISSUE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShezaGirlie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
You've been thru surgery either long time ago or recently. If you had it to do over again what would you choose? The FIRST choice is your current valve/repair and the SECOND choice is what you would choose the next time.

Sorry, not enough choice spaces to include third timers..

Being that my first surgery was a Ross/Repair and I had no say in the matter, I'd go with mechanical and if I had a say back then, it would've been mechanical too.

I'm sorry but I think people are plain nuts for even entertaining the thought about going through this surgery more then once. I know there are no guarantees, but no more for me thank you.

The first time. . .try to repair. The second time. . .keep trying to repair the bugger. :D If there is nothing left to repair and I am still wanting children, put in a tissue valve. If past the childbearing age, then throw in a mechanical. Keep going with the minimally invasive stuff - that was very cool.:D

Take mine mixed

Take mine mixed

Hi Ross,

Plain nuts ?

How about salted or seasoned ?

I'll take mine mixed, but without those big Brazilian Nuts.

We certainly have a good mix at VR.com !!

Daniel

Janie....great poll....thanks!

Janie....great poll....thanks!

I had the option for repair. Upon further investigation (for those whom had the repair..... please don't shoot me)
found that most often individuals come out of a repair with a significant level of regurgitation. At that, I asked my surgeon point blank..."if you can't be certain of a darn close to perfect repair that will last me, please replace it.

So, I woke up with my mechanical valve ticking away inside of me. Young woman across the hall from me in the hospital opted for the repair and came out of surgery with a 2+ regirg. By now, I would assume she has returned to have it replaced. Been almost five years.

Unfortunately, there is not a perfect alternative to replace your very own biological valve. Each option has it's pros and cons. Just because I opted for a valve based on "longevity".... does not mean I will not find myself back in surgery sooner than later.

Living life to it's fullest here and thanking the good Lord for every day above ground as Dick V would put it. :)

PS, BTW Melissa. I fully agree with your decision. It's important to have that family if you want it! We already had our daughter...so I gave up having additional childern. But, if I were in your position...might have opted for the repair!

Hope I did not make a double standard out of my post here, LOL.

Less we scare off anyone thinking of a repair. . .I came out of it with trace regurge. Time will tell how long it will last (hopefully, it will last longer than Ross' thong)! :D

If I had to do it over it would still be the mechanical. Even though there are really no guarantees on any of them I think the mechanical will last a lot longer.

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

For my 2nd AVR in August, my 14 year old homograft was replaced with a mechanical. Here's an interesting blurb from my operative report:

'The sternal wires were removed except I could not get the posterior portion of two sternal wires out. The sternum was divided with an oscillating saw and pried apart. The remaining part of the sternal wires were removed. Dissection was carried under side of the sternum for approximately 1 cm. The patient's heart was then surrounded from severe adhesions, especially on the right side, first along the diaphragm and then on the right side, finally around the aorta. The left side of the heart was left stuck in place.'

In other words, I had a lot of scar tissue from the 1st operation and the surgeon had to clear the area to get to my heart. The surgery also takes longer because of the scar tissue. This was enough for me to know I made the right decision here. Maybe some people, like me, are more prone to developing scar tissue?

Rob

8/03 AVR - ATS Medical Mechanical
4/89 AVR - homograft

Maybe some people, like me, are more prone to developing scar tissue?
I wouldn't even want to venture a guess how I look inside. The surgeon told me in a very nonjoking manor that he never wanted to see me again. After he got in there, he found that he bit off a bit more then he could chew.

options

options

I really wanted a repair but glad now that I have the mechanical.
I just had some wires removed and hopefully they will not have to go in there again. I don't think I would want to go through another surgery.

This is very interesting, especially for someone facing the "tissue vs. mechanical" decision (AVR on 11/3/03). Even though its an extremly small sample, it looks like there are some folks who had mechanical, but would have done tissue if they could go back. But no tissue to mechanical.

This tells me that for some people at least, the coumadin issues are such , that they would rather have the second re-op. Hope I am not reading too much into this, but since I am leaning towards the tissue, it helps to know I am not totally crazy for doing so. Others who have been there would apparently also make that choice.

Thanks for creating the poll.

Regards,

Bob B.

repair

repair

I have not had my surgery yet (November 5) but am going for the repair - that is why I am going to one of the best surgeons I can find - Cosgrove. I know of now four people who have had mitral valve repairs (one in Cleveland, one at Montana Heart Institute, one by Dr. Gaudiani in S.F., California, and another by Cosgrove) and every single one of them has not a trace of regurgitation (including Melissa) and three of them are 1+ years out from surgery. P.S. The other lady on this site who had hers repaired in Minnesota is also doing very well, although I am not sure what her regurg is, if any.

I think an exceptionally good repair can last for years, if not a lifetime, if a valve was not that damaged to begin with. I think Melissa stands a pretty good chance of that.

My mitral valve is one of the worst variety (per a surgeon) and repair is a 50/50 proposition for me. I also will tell Cosgrove to not repair it at any cost, but to make certain it will last me for many years before closing me up, otherwise I will take a replacement.

If I wake up with a replacement, I will be very jealous of all who have been blessed to have repairs, and it will take some time for me to accept my fate. A replacement is not a bad thing, I would just rather have a repair - again only if it will turn out like Melissa's! :)

Chris

I am three years out of surgery and am doing well right now. I had a second mechanical valve implanted within 11 days of the first, (Yes, something did go wrong with the first mechanical valve) but I still would choose a mechanical over anything else as I hope I never have to go through this again. (knocking on wood)
Coumadin is no big deal for me anymore. In the beginning it was kind of nerve wrecking because I was so afraid, but after a while when I got the hang of it and understood how it works, it wasn't much of an issue.

Happy Protiming in Tucson, Arizona.

No change,thank you!

No change,thank you!

I am happy with my mitral St.Jude mechanical 5 years out. I wouldn't change a thing. My surgeon said my valve was so beat up he was sure if he attempted a repair it wouldn't last two years.
He trained on repair with Dr. Alain Carpentier in Paris and Carpentier came to Fairfax to demonstrate repair in our OR a couple of times. Carpentier did the first mitral repairs and when he reported his findings the Americans called it "the French Correction". I think all of our surgeons at Fairfax do good repairs now but there is no doubt Cosgrove at Cleveland is preeminent in this country. I have two friends done by him and both have no leak years later. Both had under one hour pump time. You must rely on the surgeons judgement as to whether a repair is feasible.

For Bob

For Bob

Bob, don't forget. Aside from the tiny sample, the numbers also suffer from some of us who have had two surgeries. We put in what we got each time - it may not reflect at all what we wanted. Same goes for a lot of the first timers. Many people do not have a choice. In emergency situations, they often put a mechanical in.
Kev

Re: Take mine mixed

Re: Take mine mixed

DANIEL said:
Hi Ross,

Plain nuts ?

How about salted or seasoned ?

I'll take mine mixed, but without those big Brazilian Nuts.

We certainly have a good mix at VR.com !!

Daniel
Roasted, Salted Cashews for me please.

Well, Ross,
I am one of those nuts that would choose tissue for the 1st surgery again. It was awfully nice having 11 yrs with no coumadin,
and feeling totally like my normal self. I survived the 2nd surgery fine, and the mechanical? Well, I sure wish something else was invented that didn't make noise! And the bruising and bleeding with the coumadin, ugh! I got hit by the elbow of a crazy Raider fan at the game and I have a HUGE bruise on my arm.
Oh to go back to my porcine days, carefree, and no worries.
Gail

Some of you are fortunate enough to be able to go through surgery without problems. I'm not one of them. Every time they touch me, I'm in major trouble, hence my desire to never ever go through it again and the reasoning behind why I think some are nuts. ;)

Did I vote incorrectly?

Did I vote incorrectly?

I may have filled out the poll wrong. Maybe I should move to West Palm Beach, you just can't make it simple enough for me!

My first valve was a tissue, 14 years ago. My second was a mechanical in august. I filled out the poll as mechanical - mechanical, since my current valve is mechanical and I would not change that. However, if I were 30 years old again, for my first valve I would likely still go with tissue. I had a good run of 14 years. Should I have filled it out tissue - mechanical?

Rob

Latest posts

Back