If you had to do it over again...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had to do it over again...

• REPAIR - TISSUE

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • REPAIR - MECHANICAL

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • REPAIR - ROSS PROCEDURE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MECHANICAL - MECHANICAL

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • MECHANICAL - TISSUE

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • TISSUE - TISSUE

• TISSUE - MECHANICAL

• ROSS PROCEDURE - ROSS PROCEDURE

• ROSS PROCEDURE - MECHANICAL

• ROSS PROCEDURE - TISSUE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Marsha,
Your statement "Hang Coumadin and all....There's no guarantee on anything in the universe"... I would love to see printed on a T-shirt. I would wear it with conviction! Welcome to this great place.

I have a repair done at the time they replaced a section of my ascending aorta. It was a "T. David - V" procedure, performed at the Rush Heart Institute in Chicago. I know that there is some controversy about having a repair done, and I was told up front that I might need to have it replaced in the future. But Dr. David's own published reports show, on average, a very high degree of freedom from re-operation for many years. I would make the very same choice if I had to do it again. I have only a trace degree of AI.

Repair wasn't an option for me as there wasn't enough there, and what was there was just total crap. I love my mechanical - the ticking has even become rather comforting. After reading about Lewis Grizzard, I didn't want tissue, and my doctor said that he wouldn't put one in me - I was too young at 36. Too many future re-ops.

If I had to do it over again I don't know if I would have had the surgery. It saved my life, but I feel so alone at times. 2 years later and I still experience terrible fatigue, dizziness and depression. I try to be positive but there are days when I want to just throw in the towel.

delvoura66 said:
If I had to do it over again I don't know if I would have had the surgery. It saved my life, but I feel so alone at times. 2 years later and I still experience terrible fatigue, dizziness and depression. I try to be positive but there are days when I want to just throw in the towel.

The world is a much nicer place with you in it. ;)

I thought my surgery would be the changing factor in my circumstances too. It changed alright, but not for the better, so I'm right there with ya kiddo and so is that Borg dude.

Delvour

Delvour

What would we do without that beautiful face of yours? Wish you would post more often....Come jpin us for chat today..Maybe you will get a laugh or two....Have you talked to you doctor about some meds to make you feel better...I'm tired lot too..but at my age..I can afford to choose what I want to do..Retired housewife:D :D :D :D Bonnie

You know, I feel the same way sometimes. Mostly because I don't feel any "better" and every time I turn around the coumadin is getting in the way of me fixing OTHER things (like my headaches). I asked my mother the other day why I ended up having the surgery, did I really need it? Her response was, "maybe not, but they're trying to do everything they can to put transplant far into the future, so hopefully we've done that..." The thing is, we'll never know if it gave me more time or not... Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you AREN'T alone.

It's so great to have support. Until I found this site I was lost.
I am so greatful for all of you!!!

Delvour

Delvour

I would like for you and others to know. I have a very good friend (male) my age. We have had so much fun at swimming pool every summer playing with our Grandkids. He had open-heart surgery a few months after me. Blockage. We walked and talked for months trying to get back in shape. he even went to rehab, ect..Now, he has cancer...3 months to live. Went thru Brain surgery last week to give himself a little more longer on earth.. to enjoy Grandkids..but it has spread into his lungs. He knows that he will not live..but never gives up..so..you don't either..God has a place for all of us..And I am sure he wants you to stay well. Bonnie

Thanks for sharing that, Bonnie. While we all want to live as long as possible, it shows that we must keep God in our calculations. I'm going for a tissue (bovine or homograft) and gambling on 10-15 years... but it is presumptive thinking to say I will live that long anyway. I guess I'm gambling on higher quality of life for a shorter period and then trying to fix it again.

Who really knows? " in Your book they all are written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them" We can only gather the facts, pray and do what our heart :)) ) tells us.

I always wanted grandkids... after that, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Gosh, this isn't too morbid is it? Censor me if it is.

WOW!

WOW!

Again the depth of help that is available in this group is astounding. There are those of us who are doing really well to those of us who are doing not so well to those of us who are still waiting to see how we will do. But we are given a chance here to be "hugged" by each other and to draw strength from each other.
If someone wanted to look for a miracle one would not have to look farther than this group. When I see some of you (and myself) still in pain or still with some fears, I wish I could reach out and fix everyone. I read a passage from a writing by Norman Vincent Peale. I post here only in the hopes that it might help soothe a few. And I post it because it speaks to what a lot of you wonderful folks do everday.
"The way to happiness: keep your heart free from hate, your mind freee for worry. Live life simply,expect little, give much. Fill your life with love. Scatter sunshine. Forget self,think of others. Do as you would be done by.
Steve

My first surgery was Ascending Aortic Aneurysm(valve sparing). My second was to have the aortic valve replaced(went with a tissue valve). When I go back again.....hopefully 20 years, I will go with a tissue again.
I will say, as Rob mentioned. The scar tissue build up is of concern. I know when I had my second operation(after only 9 months) my doctor told me that was the hardest part of the surgery; getting through the scar tissue. But, for now I don't think much about it and feel with the tissue valve, the only thing I do different everyday is take a baby aspirin and 120mg of COQ-10.
As I have said before, this site is what keeps me from going nuts. I don't post has much as before, but I'm always reading the post. I believe because of this site......and as it grows. We will find better ways to treat this DISEASE. I think it's interesting to see the number of doctors, ect; that are now involve with this site,thier input is so valuable and of course the knowledge of each member. Thanks for putting this survery together.

Bonnie - Sorry to hear about your friend. Its amazing at the courage they summons to make it through isn't it. Delvoura66 - you were given some more time on earth for some reason. Do your best to figure out what reason that might be and go for it kiddo. I'd rather go out with a shout than a whimper. Chris

Hi Delvoura-

You're not alone sweety. You have this whole forum of understanding friends. We might be living in lots of different locations in the world, but we're probably closer than your next door neighbor.

All you have to do is get on the computer, hop to this site and start posting. You'll have many messages fairly quickly. You don't post much and we're missing all the wonderful things you have to say.

So don't be shy, join in.

You know, many people here have felt isolated with their heart problems and no one to share it with. Their families are in the same situation. Others we see every day don't understand, and don't even want to hear about it. It's scary to them, and it takes too much in-depth understanding, and a time committment to listen to all of the various problems. Not so here. There's a real common ground.

So I hope to see more of your posts.

:) :)

Gail, I'm with you girl! I love my homograft which has been with me almost 4 years now with nary a problem. I was influenced by a friend with a porcine now going on 21 years! and a mother in law who takes Coumadin for an artificial hip who has all kind of horror stories due to it...mostly how it seems to affect other meds she takes. Plus I am a real freak about putting stuff in my body...I am one of the original nature girls. I was 56 when I had my replacement and I am also pollyanish enough to believe that science will have even better things to offer. And too, I had the best experiences with the surgery...was on my way out before and felt better than ever even 4 days after surgery. I'll keep you posted, I may change my story if things crash!

I think it is a significant statement to our groups positive thinking and adaptiveness that most everyone expresses satisfaction with whatever they have.

Latest posts

Back