iDcotor - Health monitoring revolution is coming...maybe?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
If you have not seen this, you need to on Dr Topol a smart hypochondriac or so it seems...

Digital medicine with a smart phone. WOW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/50582822#50582822

Having been through the grinder, I can just imagine how this would have alleviated stress, optimized my time nd professionals and for a fraction of the cost incurred.

Imagine pre or post surgery monitoring from a distance, calling your doctor with a concern and having remote diagnostics...immediate results, fast and easy doctor visits....looks like this is coming big time.

Darn, wish my cardiologist would consider some of this new technology. mine is so "old School"

Exciting times a coming, maybe! I for one sure hope so

Gil

Re: iDcotor - Health monitoring revolution is coming...maybe?

The future indeed look great. But some of it is already here. I mean, with my smartphone I use an app called Med Helper to track my medications, and alert me of scheduled appointments, when I run out of meds and keep track of almost everything concerning my medication.
In addition I use INR Tracker to track my inr values (measured weekly with my coagucheck) and Marevan (wafarin) doses.
On top of this I also have a Withings scale that includes an app that can track weight, fat % and blood pressure.

Of course this is not a perfect setup, as I have to use multiple apps, and I wish that both inr and bp was transferred automatically from the devices to the phone.
And it would be great if the data was sent to my doctor as well (although I have some privacy issues with this).

But at least this is a great progress from just a few years ago, when none of these things were available to home users.

Ola,

Thx for sharing, did not know of the apps you use, time to get with the times, smart phones have to have a better use than Twitter and facebook. Hoping to share the iDoctor concept with GP next week, wonder if he'll laugh me out of office...smile

Gil

In addition I use INR Tracker to track my inr values (measured weekly with my coagucheck) and Marevan (wafarin) doses.
... and I wish that both inr and bp was transferred automatically from the devices to the phone.
And it would be great if the data was sent to my doctor as well (although I have some privacy issues with this).
me too, which is why despite being a software developer who has used PDA's and other tools like that since they first hit the market I just won't go 'cloud' ... iPhones and Android phones have terrible security in my opinion. They aren't security flaws however they are just designed to snoop on you. You accept that when you accept the terms and contions.

I use a simple multi-worksheet spreadsheet for tracking all of this. It may be considered stoneage but its more secure.

and I can always share it with the doctor by email if I wish to.
:)

I sent the link to some people. This is the comment from a cousin of mine who is a physician:

"I think he's overstating the utility of a lot of these technologies. That EKG only gives you a single rhythm strip, nothing close to the info you get from a full 12-lead tracing.

The ultrasound unit I am sure has limited power and resolution. Also the operator has to be trained to know what he/she is looking at to make it even remotely useful. I'm afraid that the current device will miss as many things as it detects.

That being said I do agree there is great potential for these devices to improve care and efficiency in the near future. I am looking into them for my practice."

IDoctor - humm are there cons?

IDoctor - humm are there cons?

I sent the link to some people. This is the comment from a cousin of mine who is a physician:

"I think he's overstating the utility of a lot of these technologies. That EKG only gives you a single rhythm strip, nothing close to the info you get from a full 12-lead tracing.

The ultrasound unit I am sure has limited power and resolution. Also the operator has to be trained to know what he/she is looking at to make it even remotely useful. I'm afraid that the current device will miss as many things as it detects.

That being said I do agree there is great potential for these devices to improve care and efficiency in the near future. I am looking into them for my practice."

Adrienne,

Fully agree that iDoctor may not be the "Be All", but wow as a 1st level screening.

Personal experience is i Recently needed knee surgery, done now and am on a 6 week crutch recovery from bone and cartilage work performed. I had 8 months in the waiting room for the knee surgery, considered as painful (yes it is, very and 24x7), but not life threatening, (big cramp on lifestyle though, for an OHS needing the walking and stair exercise.)

So, I required cardiologist visit and presumed full cardio testing before knee surgery, to ascertain whether fit for surgery or whether cardio surgeon required on standby in case? Anyways, cardiologist visit was an electrocardiogram and a letter of fitness from him, he did not even have a listen, nor was an echo proposed.....laughable to me, but then again i was not looking for any objection in fixing my knee.....cause in so many ways (for me and Don't laugh), based on my personal experience of OHS, i have a much greater fear of re-injury to my knee and the pain, the long wait, the long recovery and all that I have lived, than a redo of OHS....from my personal experiences lived.

I cannot belittle OHS, AVR, mitral valve repair, it is a big deal and a scary proposition, but (blasphamy), I am surely not alone in having an uneventful and short lived recovery from OHS. I know the occasional patient, is not so lucky, but for most healthy individuals, recovering from OHS is a big event, but rather short lived in the lifecycle and cannot think of anything i could not do today vs. pre-op, in fact the opposite, as in OHS pre-op, the medics were warning me about stress and now, non issue, the medics have gone on to the next in the waiting list.....anyways i digress...but that is my current story.

IDoctor as i see it has so much screening potential, yes cell phone security is an issue, but am far more worried about a banking hack, vs. a hack of my elecro or echo, of what use would that info be to a thief?

I have an almost 40 year background in IT, from mainframe to current web delivery apps and am quite current. The concept of revolutionizing health care, is close to my heart, as i have spent way too many hours, witnessing the inefficiencies of the heath care "business" ....darn it must be tough to be a well intentioned medical caregiver in these times and i share Dr. Topol's frustration and I believe it is even worse here in Canada with our political state run system, where most of the funding goes to bureaucracy vs. practitioners and equipment funding, even worse than US am sure, our free medical is a 48 % taxation at the revenue source, as well as 15% sales tax....free my ass....sorry just venting.

Btw, i accelerated my 8 month knee surgey, by getting 2 MRI's done out of pocket at private clinics, else probably still on waiting list for 1st MRI to allow surgeon review....same kind of waiting game in public sector for life saving colonoscopy, not covered by insurance in private sector, yet massages, physio is covered....go figure?

Sadly for me our free medical system is mired in political and union squabbles and needs redress big time,while retaining the morals of best patient care possible....the system just looks broken to me, in comparison to other industries and don't get me started on "Global Warming impending disaster"....smile

Just sayin:eek:

Gil

Gil, I hear you when it comes to our broken medical system!!!! I do have to say, though, that in France, there may be other things that are broken, but their socialized health-care system is FANTASTIC!!! I'll admit that the doctors do not get paid very much (considering their education and expertise), but wow, for the patient, it is nirvana!

Latest posts

Back