I would appreciate if somebody could explain my echo results to me in laymans term

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

Hi all,

Here are my Echo report from December 2011. I would appreciate if somebody could explain the results in layman's terms. For example I would love to know how my heart is physically, where the changes are physically etc.

I have also posted 2008 and 2009 results.

By the way my cardiologist told me to come back for another echo in 12 months, thank God!

2011 Echo Report:

Left Ventricle
The Left Ventricle is mildly dilated. The transmitral spectral Doppler flow is normal for age. The Left ventricular ejection fraction is normal. Left ventricular systolic function is normal. Ejection Fraction =>55%. The left ventricular wall motion is normal.

Right Ventricle
Is normal in size and function

Atria
Left and Right Atria are normal in size.

Mitral Valve
Is normal in structure and function.

Tricuspid Valve

Aortic Valve
Is bicuspid. Visually the aortic valve appears to be more calcified however the degree of AR and stenosis remains unchanged. Moderate valvular aortic stenosis. Moderate eccentric jet of AR.

Pulmonic Valve

Great Vessels
The aortic root is normal size

Interpretation Summary
Biscupid AV, peak gradient 39mmHG.
Moderate eccentric jet of AR.
Borderline dilated LV, LVIDd 5.8cm
Good Systolic LV function. EF 55%.

MMMode/2D Measurements & Calculations
IVsd: 0.90cm
LVIDd: 5.8cm
LVIDs: 3.5cm
LVPWd: 1.0cm
FS: 39.4%
EDV(Teich): 166.4ml
ESV(Teich): 51.2ml
EF(Teich): 69.2%
LVOT diam: 2.4cm
LVOT area: 4.7cm2

There are also Time Measurement and Doppler Measurements & Calculations but I don't know if there is any point in posting them.

Below are my echo results for 2009 & 2008

Echo July 2009 echo

LVIDd 5.1cm LVIDs 4.0cm
Mild to Moderate LVH
Estimated Jection fraction 60%. Sigmoid sertum.
Diastolic filling pattern is normal. E/A is 1, E/e is 6.3
LA size is normal at 2.7cm
Mitral valve - No SAM
Aortic valve is bicuspid - I knew that :)
Leafet tips are thcikened. No significant LVOT gradient. AOR is 3.0cm Pressure half time 343ms. Moderate to Severe AI. AVA by VTI 1.97cm2

Right heart has an RVSP of 35mmHg including RA pressure.

Echo September 2008

Dilated LV and LVIDd approx 6.5 cma nd LVEDV approx 200ml. Good LV systolic function.
LV ejection was calculated at 77.8% from m-mode & 68.3% by MOD.
Normal right ventricular size and systolic function, there is no evidence of right ventricular hypertrophy.
There appears to be fusion between the right and non coronary cusps.
Normal LA borderline RA enlargement.

Mild to moderate broad jet of AR present.
Peak gradient across the AV is approx 46mmHg.

I've been getting echos since they first started doing them....and I still can't figure them out. I have tried to "spreadsheet" the results so I could follow any trend.....gave up on that. If you trust your cardio and he said you are "good to go for a year", I'd smile and go do something nice for yourself......I'll get my annual echo in about three weeks and I hope my doc says "come back in twelve months". Doctors are for advice, forums like this are for support....and I try to keep them separated.

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. Can I just ask what you mean by 'support' side? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. Can I just ask what you mean by 'support' side? Thanks.

I did not mean to appear "heavy handed". From time to time, people come on here with questions that require a technical analysis beyond the scope of this forum(IMO). We have no MDs(as far as I know) that are truly capable of doing a thorough evaluation of yours or my echo. I agree with "offwego".... a lot of your report says "normal" and that's good. Beyond that, I am not qualified to evaluate your tests. To me, "support" means advice on how to deal with diet, activity, exercise, lifestyle, etc without getting into a lot of trouble.....or what to expect before, during and after surgery.....and to help the OHS patient realize that there is a LOT of life left after surgery.

In a way, your cardiologist did put it in Layman's terms when he told you he didn't need to see you for a year. The subtext you can read into that, is that you have no pressing problems, but that he'd like to keep an eye on you. For the sake of comparison, my own first reports on the discovery of my bicuspid aortic valve had mild ventricular hypertrophy, moderate ventricular dilation, ejection fraction of 52 or 53%, moderate to severe aortic stenosis, and moderate to severe regurgitation. I was told the same thing you were. Come back in a year. I did that every year for 8 or 9 years before there was significant enough change to warrant surgery.
Everyone is different, and valvular insufficiency will progress at it's own pace, but I wouldn't have minded an echo like that 9 years before my surgery!

I'd say you'll need surgery sooner or later, most likely later. Your heart is enlarging. Left ventricle was 5.1 cm and is now 5.8. There is a margin of error in these things. You also have stenosis and insufficiency. These will not get better and will only get worse. Pay attention to whether you are having any symptoms, like mild shortness of breath on exertion.

My echos looked a lot like that 2-3 years ago. I'm now scheduled for surgery in November, but I may be having it a bit prematurely. Good luck.

Hi again,

I don't see my cardiologist for a few more months so would appreciate if somebody can tell me what the following means and tell me what the measurements of a normal heart should be. Thank you.

Hi again,

I don't see my cardiologist for a few more months so would appreciate if somebody can tell me what the following means and tell me what the measurements of a normal heart should be. Thank you.

We don't know what the "normal range" of measurements are for your echo because it depends on your height, weight, etc.
But the abbreviations are usually:
LVIDd--Left ventricle internal dimension in diastole.
LVIDs--Left ventricle internal dimension in systole.
EF--Ejection Fraction
I'm not sure of all of them, and don't want to make an error, but you can do a google search for cardiac echocardiogram
and find out more.

I agree with Dick0236. I've had Echo's throughout my life and still have trouble deciphering them! If I hear the doctors say "no change" then it's good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Stay well! :)

none of us on here are medically trained as far as i know, so have a word with your gp or somebody who knows what there talking about,

Latest posts

Back