I need help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisou

Hi everyone

I'm meeting with my surgeon today, and I've been looking on here to find a thread with questions to ask surgeon and can't find it, I'm also kind of in a panic mode that doesn't help, I had so many questions to ask but now that the time is here it's like I went blank and it won't come to mind, your help would be appreciated.

Thank You I will keep in touch

Take someone with you or write the questions down before leaving. Preferably take someone with you because you become unbelievable stupid in the presence of the surgeon and forget 90% of what he says.

I think you can click on this and find several threads in this regard: http://valvereplacement.com/forums/search.php?searchid=732337

And can you take a trusted and competent and reliable friend or relative with you to keep the questions and answers straight?

Once, before a different type of surgery, I handed my surgeon a copy of the questions I wanted to ask him and I jotted down his answers on my copy.

Hope it goes well for you. Some nervousness is normal.

GRRRRRRRRR I just used the same terms you did Susan and I didn't get what you got and that's what I wanted!

GRRRRRRRRR I just used the same terms you did Susan and I didn't get what you got and that's what I wanted!
The search was so slow when I did it that I wondered if someone else was searching for it at the same time. Perhaps the simultaneous search caused the problem?

It is very important, as was said, to go in with a list of questions on a piece of paper. Handing him his own copy and keeping one for yourself in front of you is great because then you won't be liable to skip any of them (due to embarassment or oversight).

Surgeons can be VERY NICE PEOPLE! Mine was 90 minutes late for our meeting (saving someone else's life...oh well!!) and was SO apologetic, we had him for as long as we needed. I did take my husband with me. He ended up asking a lot of statistical questions that I couldn't have cared less about, but they were answers that my husband needed to calm his own mind about things. It is important to let anyone into the process who is going to be involved in the process. It isn't always just about us since the impact of the event touches so many who are close to us.

My surgeon came highly recommended by my 'top in her field' cardiologist. I only went in there to talk valve type. I knew he was marvelously experienced. FOR ME, the important thing was to shake his hand. I needed to feel the energy coming from the person who was going to hold my heart in his hands.

Some questions you might ask are things like how long will the procedure take? How many of these exact types of surgery has he performed? How long will you probably be on the heart lung machine? Which valve does he recommend, or NOT recommend due to his own prefernece (ie experience). (in my case, whether or not I chose a stented valve was optional. He asked me not to choose a stented valve because he found them cumbersome to install and did not feel as proficient at that. His pure honesty struck me as a good sign. Maybe others would balk at that confession... He also told me that Tuesdays were his best days (least hectic) and to choose a tuesday!!)

Many other questions can be referred to the Physician's Assistant. In other words, ask him for the name and phone number of that person whom you can call prior to and after surgery with those questions that will inevitably pop up. In my surgeon's office, these people were invaluable to me!

Start new threads, here, with any other questions or concerns you may have. We're here 24/7!!

Breathe!!! You'll be great. Try not to be intimidated. This is YOUR day, not his. Shoulders back, think clearly, be positive!! Go get 'em!!

:D Marguerite

Some patients take a tape or digital RECORDER in with them. Be sure to ask the surgeon if he minds you taping the conversation. I'm guessing that most do not object.

Just as Marguerite said....I also felt better once I had shook the hand of my surgeon.
He had wonderful hands, was a middle aged man with lots of experience, he was very relaxed and attentive during out meeting, and he included my husband in the process.

Just as Marguerite said....I also felt better once I had shook the hand of my surgeon.
He had wonderful hands, was a middle aged man with lots of experience, he was very relaxed and attentive during out meeting, and he included my husband in the process.

Oh no, Bina fell in love. :D

I second the tape recorder, EVEN if someone else goes with you. I took my wife with me when we met my surgeon, but we were both so scared, we forgot most of what was told to us. Having that tape recording was a blessing because we were able to listen to it again when we got home.

Add me to the list of ladies who felt the need to shake my surgeon's hand. Truly, I wanted to feel his hand and he was the same surgeon who did my first OHS. Didn't matter.....that was four years ago and this was NOW.

I really liked the hug I got at our post op appointment!!! :)

Thank You everyone, had a great visit with my surgeon, great man with lots of experience, really straight forward with his answers to my questions, he scheduled me for surgery in two weeks, now just waiting for the hospital to confirm the date.

Latest posts

Back