I have 4 days to decide - help!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a fascinating infographic on US health care

I don't think we valvers factor in there, as heart attacks are probably more congestive heart failure than bicuspid valve or mitral valve ...

american-health.jpg

I really miss having conversations with Ross on this topic (hope he's doing well over on the other side)

I had a sit-down meeting with Starne's assistant, Bob Sachs, and went over all the questions once again.

I decided that my preference would be to replace the mechanical with a tissue valve withe the caveat of letting Starnes make the final call as to what would give me the best outcome.

The valve that they recommend is the Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Magna Ease Aortic Heart Valve
http://www.edwards.com/products/heartvalves/pages/magnaease.aspx

Which allows for valve-in-vavle replace via TAVR when (if) necessary.

Wish me luck folks and thanks again for your comments!

Dean

Best of everything Dean! That's the valve I have. Thinking about you today and wishing you a good recovery.

Rachel

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

I had a sit-down meeting with Starne's assistant, Bob Sachs, and went over all the questions once again.

I decided that my preference would be to replace the mechanical with a tissue valve withe the caveat of letting Starnes make the final call as to what would give me the best outcome.

The valve that they recommend is the Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Magna Ease Aortic Heart Valve
http://www.edwards.com/products/heartvalves/pages/magnaease.aspx

Which allows for valve-in-vavle replace via TAVR when (if) necessary.

Wish me luck folks and thanks again for your comments!

Dean
Good choice, that is what I have 4 months post op, feeling great back to work full time!!

Hi, I had a valve replacement done in 2005 with a tissue valve. I was told that it would last between 10 and 15 years. I was 60 at that time and thought that would be good and there would be no need for coumadin. In 2011, 5 1/2 years later my tissue valve calcified and had to have another surgery. My cardiologist said that a mechanical would be required so the surgery was done. I was really concerned about taking coumadin but it has not been a problem for me.

I in no way want to have this surgery twice. Every time you cut into the heart you risk chronic rhythm problems, which is very debilitating and require coumadin anyway. Day to day the coumadin does not affect my life, and I notice no major difference in brusing and bleeding.

Well, I made it through the easy part- now recovery. I ended up getting a tissue valve and my ascending aorta replaced. So, basically a Bentall procedure with a valve replacement. I had forgotten how extremely tough this process is and being 15 years older doesn't make it any easier. I'm now five days postop and hoping that I'll be going home today possibly tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted to see how I'm doing. Thanks for the support!

Well, I finally made it out of the hospital after 7 total nights. I actually was discharged on my 5th day, but ended up coming back a few hours later because of high heart rate and some arrhythmia.
They increased my beta blocker dose and waited a few days until it calmed down a bit. I got out of the hospital yesterday and have been taking it easy. Feels good to be on the other side of surgery and not to much pain happening so that is good. I am still on Coumadin but they tell me only for a total of 6 weeks then just a daily baby aspirin. Such a bizarre experience to go through another time after 15 years. Quite a few improvements to the technical side of things and that what's encouraging to see. Ok, back to napping! :)

Im 52 and had my first surgery six weeks ago - a bicuspid aortic valve replacement and an aneurism repair and I went w/a St. Jude's mechanical valve. I didn't want to go through this surgery, on any level, 2-3 more times. That's what my gut told me in the end, and I couldn't ignore it. I know it was the right choice for me - it's important to follow our guts and it sounds like yours is speaking loudly. Best of luck!

Been 4 weeks since my surgery and I am feeling great!
Back to driving.
I go for long walks and ride my bike a little bit around my neighborhood.
Had my follow up visit with my cardiologist yesterday and he said all is well.
I'm really amazed at how well I am recovering compared to 15 years ago.

Feeling blessed!

Dean

Dean, It's wonderful to read that you're feeling so well a month out. I'm glad your recovery has been a better experience this time around. Wishing you a further complication free recovery.
Mary

Driving and riding your bike already? Wow. I was too sore to drive more than a mile or two at four weeks. The surgeon said I could, but I decided to wait another week or two. Sounds like you're doing great!

Latest posts

Back