I got refered to the Cleveland Clinic

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hot Rod Harry

My cardiologist has refered me to the Cleveland Clinic. He says the mitral valve leak is enough to warrant surgery.. Now lets see what the surgeon says.

He did not mention anyone specific.. Do I just call the CC hotline & tell them I have been refered?

I have a few names in mind, based on my research the last few years.. Who would you recommend?

This will be for a mitral valve replacement. I have already had OHS to "repair" the valve, about 3 years ago. I'm having shortness of breath, tired all the time, chest pain, just to name a few..

Surgeon Recommendation

Surgeon Recommendation

If you are looking for a GOOD heart surgeon let me highly recommend John Oswalt who performed my aortic valve replacement at the Austin Heart Hospital in Austin Texas. He is incredible. The best bestside manner a patient could ask for and a staff that TRULY cares. The whole surgery experience for me was extremely comfortable and stress free. Dr. Oswalt is a WONDERFUL surgeon and I would never hesitate to recommend him to ANYONE.:)

My husband is trying to get in to see Dr. Pettersson. I got on line and did a chat with a CC nurse and told her that is who we wanted. She sent me a long email telling me to send in everything and now we are waiting to hear back from them. Surgery, more testing, etc.?
Good Luck to you.
Sharon

Have you thought about what kind of Valve you want for your MVR?

Many (all?) of the CC are familiar with the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves and St. Jude Mechanical Valves.

The On-X Mechanical Valve has the Lowest Risk of Clot Formation (especially in the Mitral Position) plus a Barrier to retard/prevent Pannus Tissue Growth impingement of the leaflets. Dr. Pettersson has the most experience using the On-X valve at CC.

'AL Capshaw'

If you can get to see Dr Pettersson that is who I would recommend. He tends to focus most of his time on re-ops and cases that have multiple issues to be dealt with. My AVR was very run of the mill and I feel very fortunate that he accepted me as his patient.

Anymore, you pretty much have someone assigned to you. You can still request whomever you wish, but you may or may not get them. If you can, Pettersson in the man.

After research and meeting with him.......I am having Dr Marc Gillinov.....I was able to choose.......I am scheduled for repair...severe leaky!!

Latest posts

Back