I found some shock absorbing insoles ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I hope this doesn't sound too weird.

I don't do a lot of running, but I do a pretty good amount of walking. I've had a torn quadriceps, repaired a year before my AVR.

I found an interesting insole that may actually help reduce damage from running or walking because it actually absorbs much of the shock from walking, running, or jumping. This insole has kevlar (the same material used in bulletproof vests) incorporated in some areas of the insole, and is said to absorb up to 80% of the shock from landing on your feet.

I'm using them now, and will continue testing them in my shoes and sandals.

My thinking is that, since many of us (including me) are taking coumadin, we have an increased risk of bleeding or foot injury that these insoles may help reduce. There are also arch wedges that can be used to turn these into an orthotic.

I have NO relationship or financial interest in this company, but these insoles might be good for those of us on coumadin who put a lot of stress on our feet.

The company sells a variety of the insoles online. The website is www.unequal.com.

I'll probably post some more in a few days, after I've had a chance to test them more.

I just visited the site and am really impressed. We all have "feet issues" here, and I'm considering getting these for Christmas presents. The buy two and get the third one free looks really good to me.

I got two pairs for my own shoes yesterday, and am wearing a pair in my sandals today. So far, I'm really liking them.

What I think may be important to realize is that these aren't just 'shock' absorption insoles, they're actually 'impact' absorption. I can still feel things on the ground if I walk over them, but if there's impact (like my feet hitting the ground), much of that impact is dissipated. The buy two get one free deal looks pretty good - and according to the site, the also throw in some kind of foot care kit.

When I can, I'll be getting a few more of these insoles so I don't have to swap a pair out when I change shoes.

(I don't know if I mentioned that they also have an arch support insert that may help make these things more like a real orthotic -- with great impact absorption. I'll be trying those soon).

Oh boy, do I have feet issues! Unfortunately I have custom made orthotics so I can't use anything else. I did try the cushioned insoles in the past and they seemed to make a difference. I don't know about long term, I only used them maybe one season.

Years ago, I had custom orthotics. Big, heavy things, if I recall correctly.

The insoles I wrote about are quite different from the others - probably because of the kevlar shock absorption system. The arch inserts that let you build up as high an arch as you probably need, may help you to create an insert that works for you.

I'm not suggesting that you stop using your orthotics, but pointing out that if these new ones fit and do what you need done, they've got great shock absorption qualities that may actually help you feet more than a solid orthotic.

Just a thought...

(I've noticed that, after starting to use these, I feel more impact walking barefoot than I do wearing my shoes)

I had some major issues a couple years ago -- it seemed like it may have been plantar fasciitis, but I wasn't sure. It was agony just walking or standing. Somehow, the problem resolved (I think it was switching to Earth Shoes at that time). Fortunately, the problem cleared up. (Perhaps it was diet? My symptoms weren't gouty, but the pain DID eventually resolve).

I'll be wearing these insoles in all my shoes (moving them from shoe to shoe if I decide to change shoes), so I'll let you know how they're working out - and how they hold up. When I get the arch support add ins, I'll tell you about those, too.

One thing that I AM noticing is that, when I'm walking barefoot, I seem to feel my feet more. I think these insoles are actually absorbing impact that I'm not even realizing they absorb.

I WILL keep you posted.

I'm still testing these insoles. Two days ago, I was walking at night from the L.A. Live complex (near Staples Center - and the place where the winner of Hell's Kitchen will become Executive Cheff) to the subway station. This is a three or four block walk. Along the way, there were a few areas that I'd probably describe as 'potholes' (not actually, but the effect was the same) that my foot got badly twisted into. The right side of my foot went down, leaving the left side still up. With the Unequals, my foot twisted, my ankle went down - but I neither fell nor bruised my foot or ankle. I must have done this two or three times - and each time, I kept my balance, and easily recovered after my foot twisted.

My ankle didn't hurt after these events, and I had no bruising on my foot or ankle.

At this point (two days later), my ankle and foot are still fine.

Although I can't say unequivocally that the insoles were the reason I didn't get hurt, but I'm thinking that they may have absorbed much of the twisting energy when my foot twisted into these depressions. I don't know if this is one of the things that they do. However, I'm really pleased that there didn't appear to be any negative effect from these things that probably would have caused damage.

I also notice that I feel my feet more when I'm barefoot than when I'm wearing my shoes with the insoles.

I'll report more in a week or two - or when anything remarkable or worth reporting occurs.

The insoles don't seem to be very thick - maybe 1/4" or so. These are designed to replace the insoles that are already in the shoes -- pull out the old insole and replace with the new ones. Depending on the thickness of the insole on the shoe you'll be using these in, you may even have to go slightly smaller (although tight shoelaces probably accommodate for this).

HOWEVER -- I have a pair of sandals that I bought that were 1/2 size too big. The 'insole
in the sandals couldn't be removed. When I added these insoles on top of the ones inside the sandals, the sandals fit much better.

These insoles are designed to replace the insoles that come with the shoes - so the sizing difference didn't seem too much different when I put them in my dress shoes.

I hope this helps.

I got a pair of the "work boot" style for myself, and then a pair each for my roommates. We have a little 10 acre farm on the desert, and you never know what you'll step on, so the removable steel plate is an extra protection.

I've had mine in my boots all day today, and they're very comfortable. I can definitely tell there is reduce heel shock.

I've taken out my custom orthotics with no negatives yet. I have heel spurs on both feet.

If these remain this comfortable, I'm gonna order another pair for my walking shoes.

Latest posts

Back