I feel my heart getting stronger everday.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkayak

I'm 11 weeks and 1 day Post Op. Yes, I'm counting the days till my 12 week mark. My Card has given me the "green light" at 12 weeks to resume normal activity. That means back to the gym, jogging and back to kayaking! I can't wait I'm so excited, I have so much energy :) I have a question regarding lifting. I know the restriction on power lifting, my Card said I can't workout with more than 50lbs. at one time in the gym ever again. Only low weights and high reps. Does this mean I can't ever lift anything more than 50lbs. at one time? Say for example, if I had to move something in the garage that weighed MORE than 50lbs.

That 50lb. restriction seems obnoxiously conservative. My Cardiologist was fine with me lifting anything that I could do 15-20 reps with. I'd be interested to see what other people have gotten for restrictions.

Wow -- I was told by my surgeon that at 12 weeks I am totally healed and I can lift ANYTHING. I am not going to go crazy but I've already begun kind of working up to it. It's not like at 11 weeks and 6 days you can't lift beyond 10 lbs, and then the next day you can lift 100 lbs. There has to be some sliding scale here.

As I intend to be racing my sailboat on June 25th, I need to get better arm strength than what I have now - so I've begun working a bit on that. (I am 7 weeks and 2 days post-op).

It does sound kinda ridiculous. I've stuck to what the OHS booklet said that I got from the hopsital once I was discharged and what my surgeon told me. He said nothing over 30lbs. till 12 weeks.

1) 5 lbs. the first 2 weeks (or a gallon of milk as he put it).
2) Slowly increase the amount you lift for the weeks 2-4.
3) 20lbs. after 1 month.
4) Do not lift 30 or more pounds until 3 months Post Op.

This was the guideline I was given and I have stuck to it religiously.

I'm confused about about what he means by no more than 50lbs. in the gym. He did tell me of a story of a young kid who disreguarded his restrictions and did some power lifting in the gym while in recovery. He wouldn't listen to his parents or the cardio. Long story short, the boy did create a leakage around the ring of the valve.

Yes, you are completely healed after 3 months so I'm told as well. However, any strenous activity you participate in make sure you ease back into it.

I will call my Card to clarify.

Sorry so long getting back to this. I called my Surgeon today to see what my
restrictions are on lifting. He said that there are no restrictions. However, he does not recommend power lifting, even for perferctly healthy people. It increases your blood pressure way too much as we all know. In any case, I'm allowed to weight lift in the gym with no restrictions. Just use your common sense as he put it. I'm waiting to hear back from my Card to see what he says and to compare notes. My Card tends to be a bit more conservative when it come to my restrictions though. But he usually lets the Surgeon dictate that, he has so much respect for the guy.

Today I'm 12 week Post Op!!!!!!! YAY!!! :) NO RESTRICTIONS! I feel like a little kid who has just been grounded for 3 months :)

I would build up again for a bit before doing over 50 lbs, but if you're other wise normal (have no connective tissue disease), it's not going to rip your valve stitches....

Four months after my AVR, I dragged a 16' rented motor boat full of clams and equipment about 100 yards across a mud flat when I ran out of tide right as I had to get the boat back to the rental dock. I don't care if you've had surgery or not - that hurts. But not permanently.

I always take two bags of water softener salt at a time - it'd be unbalanced if it were just on one side. That's 2 x 40lbs.

I carry anything I have to. Doesn't hurt any more than it used to, nor cause heart complications.

I'm not a big, muscular guy (5'10", fighting a middle-aged spread), so it isn't due to raw power from my natural build.

Power lifting just for the glory of the weight has health implications for anyone, which most power lifters are well aware of. But an absolute limit of 50 lbs is..well...for girly-girls as the Arnold might say...

Best wishes,

Encouraged and happy for you!

Encouraged and happy for you!

:D As a fellow excercise enthusiast I can totally understand your excitement! I can't wait until after surgery so that I won't be restricted anymore. I try to look at the positive side and keep that silver lining of the gym in front of me! God Bless! Deana

Well, my Card called me back yesterday and stuck to his orginal statement. You shouldn't lift more than 50lbs. in the gym at one time. It's the repetitive lifting of heavy weight that they are worried about. Lifting objects one time that weight more than 50lbs. for a brief period should be okay. I told him what my Surgeon said and he was little suprised. In any case, these are conflicting opinions and opinions they are.

I'm not a power lifter nor do I work out with heavy weights for any long period of time. So, I think I'm good. The 50lbs. sounds a little ridiculous.

What have your Cards or Surgeons told you about lifting?

If your asking me...I haven't asked, I'm not a big power lifter either...but, what I wonder about is---- does that include leg excercises? For instance the leg press, or leg extensions, or squats? Or is that just upper body? I'm hoping I'll be able to do at least 90 lbs. for leg press like I used to, of course that was when I was 40 and 4 years can make alot of difference but, I'd like to think that I possibly could if I worked at it... without restrictions from the Doctor. The thought of not being able to jog for 12 weeks freaks me out..but such is life..I'm blessed no matter what! Right? Have a great day!! Deana

The 50# limitation seems a bit restrictive to me also.
I was a very active lifter/bodybuilder prior to my surgery. I was benching 300# up until a year before my surgery.
My cardiologist also advised me to stop power lifting, particularly heavy squats and bench presses. And no sets lifting heavy weights to failure. He did say it was okay to lift moderate weights for high reps. In my case because of my background "moderate" weights are 180-200# bench presses, curls with 25# dumbbells, etc.
I didn't really do much lifting until about six months after my surgery, mostly because of soreness in my sternum.
In the last couple of years I've done less and less lifting as I've gotten more involved in training for triathlons. Mostly circuit training to maintain tone once a week or so.

Latest posts

Back