I did it I did it!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey everyone, thanks to all for the support. Zarbie when is the 8k you'll be doing with your doggie?? also how far have you been able to walk being almost 1 year post-op?? Tom, the race sounds like fun I live about 2 hours from Disneyland. This is a stupid question( I'm not a runner) how long is a half marathon?? Can I walk it or will they have other races I can be in?? Let me know Thanks Debbie :)

Hi Debbie,
The Million Paws Walk is in 2 weeks. June this year is my 1st anniversary.
I can walk about 5 k, my heart says keep going but my calf muscles say stop.
I should be able to do the 8k walk as it is on very flat ground. I have a Pug (dog) and he takes small steps but he is quick, so he will test me out.
Keep good health....zarbie

The half marathon is 13.1 miles (yes, actually half of the 26.2 mile marathon ;)

There are many walkers usually at Disneyland, they leave the course open awhile for everyone to finish. I think you have to average 16 minute miles to keep on time....

Tom, I did the 5k with a 18 min. mile but I don't think I can walk 13 miles at this point and I'm sure I could'nt do it with a 16 min. mile. Any thoughts on how I can build up to that point other than walking every single day at a training pace, let me know. Thanks Debbie :)

do you have a treadmill you can use to train with ? 4mph will put you at a 15 minute pace. I think 3.7mph puts you at about 16 minute miles.

Debbie said:
Any thoughts on how I can build up to that point other than walking every single day at a training pace, let me know.

Sure, just give it time. None of us got there in a hurry, so allow your system to build up an exercise tolerance. Do the same most days, but make one workout each week longer than the others. It doesn't matter whether you walk, run, cycle or swim, it works the same for everything. Each week extend that one workout a little bit longer, maybe one or two miles farther than you did the week before. Some 5 to 9 weeks from now you're doing 12 or 13 miles. That's as fast as you want to progress. Do it any faster and you risk some sort of overuse injury.

As Jack said, slow and sure build up. One day a week (ususally a weekend due to time contraints) you take it longer, and each week add a mile or two. I would be glad to make out a plan for you if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back