I broke my foot....neck surgery off?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi everyone. Saturday while out with my husband and grandson I just barely twisted my foot on uneven ground and heard the crack. I hopped/hobbled out to the car which was only about 25-30 feet away and put my foot up on the dash board to take a look and I didn't like what I saw. We went home and I iced and elevated and opted out of the rest of our planned activities for the day. In the early evening our son picked up our grandson and I told my husband I thought I needed to go to the ER. It was but a few minutes later and I had already been seen by the PA and had the x-rays done. Verdict: broken 5th metatarsal right through the area that is notorious for healing complications. I have to say I had to fight the tears since I immediately thought of my neck fusion scheduled for Sept 5th and thought how this might affect that. Then had to fight the tears again when I took the first few steps with the crutches. My arm and neck strongly protested the additional demands placed upon them. I was instructed to have absolutely no weight bearing. I see my orthopedic surgeon today and should find out more specifics. It is my right foot so driving is also impossible with the cast boot.

I have a strong suspicion that my neck surgery will have to be postponed but I will soon find out. I'm not feeling quite so sorry for myself anymore and deep down know things happen for a reason. My husband is fully recovered from his surgery about 8 weeks ago and is being wonderfully encouraging to me. I'll be alright ?????? Sure I will:) ,

Oh Betty, I hate to read this news. It seems like a classic case of, if you had no bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.:( :(
Certainly you'll be ok; you're too much of a trooper not to be, but I hate that you have to deal with this now.

Please let us know what the surgeon says, and I'll keep you in my prayers for the duration.
Hugs,
Mary

Oh, Betty-

That's just awful! It had to be something that makes you SO dependent on your spine to hold you up and keep balance. Having a back that was broken when I was a teenager, I know how back pain feels. Mine does go out from time to time. Crutches must be excruciating.

You'll be in my prayers.

{{{{{{{{{{Betty}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm glad you are feeling not so sorry for yourself today. But you are certainly entitled to do so.

You get the Roesanne Rosannadanna "It's Always Somethin' " award

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am sorry to hear this as well Betty...

I am sorry to hear this as well Betty...

Gee, I hope that you will still be able to have your neck done regardless. This just doesn't seem to be anyone's year for peaceful living does it? Hope your foot gets better quick and your surgery goes well. Hugs, Harrybaby:eek: :eek: :eek:

So sorry to read this, Betty. I'm counting on your wonderful disposition to carry you through this all- please keep us posted and by all means let the family wait on you!

Betty, you poor thing! I'm so sorry to hear about this. Is a wheelchair an option? It would kinda be nice if they could still work on your neck and let you recover from both ailments simultaneously, wouldn't it? Hugs to you.

good report from ortho

good report from ortho

I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon. He said that in my case the lesser of the two evils would be to put weight on my broken foot and ditch the crutches if possible. He gave me a heavier duty boot/cast and said as far as he was concerned this fracture shouldn't delay my surgery. He also said that, though the break is in the high risk area, it is not a fracture that he would look at the films and wonder how is that ever going to heal? The bone is in good position and he said it might heal up just fine.:) I'm still to stay off of it as much as possible and see him again in a month. It just couldn't have gone much better. Now if my PMC gives me medical clearance then the surgery is a go. Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. Luv you all!

Sounds like the best outcome under the circumstances. I hope your PMC gives you the medical clearance for the surgery so you can get on with it. Best wishes.

What am I to do with you? Turn my back on ya for a second and you try to disassemble yourself. :(

Glad to hear this news, Betty.Hope it heals as fast as my Grandsons..who broke his femur bone on his Birthday.:eek: He only took 3 weeks off it (leg)(crutches)..then came down here and went on with normal activites...(has a rod)......Do as the doctor says..:) so you can have your surgery..I still remember when you posted that you had fallen dragging the water hose around. I still remember that..when I am doing outdoor watering.Mine always seems to find a root, ect. to get hung up in..:p .How long ago was that?Is that when your problem began?..With your shoulder?...Your fall and Nancys Joes fall on ice..2 things I remember.....:eek: ..Best of healing:) Bonnie

Thanks everyone. Bonnie, that fall was about 2 1/2 years ago and I haven't been pain free since. I had long had shoulder problems but I don't know how much of it really originated in my neck. I still think of that fall too every time I walk on wet pavement. It happens so fast...it just takes a moment of carelessness. Bonnie, I'm glad you grandson is doing so well!

August must be the month for falls. Orlando, you, me.

I hope all goes well and you stop doing that falling stuff. Take care of yourself and I wish you well - and prayers. Blessins........

I'm glad it looks like your surgery may not need to be postponed. I know you've been gearing up for it and becoming mentally prepared. I hope you continue to get more good news.

It's good to hear that things are getting more positive for you. You've been having a tough time, and I'v ebeen hoping you'd come back with good news.

So you'll heal on both ends, and get 'em both out of the way.

Very best wishes,

Latest posts

Back