I am going to do it........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember. that was your fear at the time and your decision worked for you then. As we rethink things sometimes we come around to another decision. Look at all the people here who have been through what you face. Nearly every one has good reports of 'after surgery'. At your age, you should have a good report, too. You know that this bunch of folks will help you through it all the way only VR can - support, information and encouragement. Blessins........

Go forth and make it so! Your risk of dying lies in the waiting you've been doing, not that actual surgery itself. ;)

It's a tough decision alright! Glad you made the right one, as is sure beats the alternative. Take that leap of faith, get through your recovery and go on living your life! Best of luck to you.

RS

Good decission, Im scared also, but am ready to put this behind me and move on. Were a big group here, and we will all get through this together.

Ged, I'm so very happy for you that you have made peace with this and are going to move forward. It's probably a good thing that you stepped back when you did and sorted things out.

I look forward to hearing from you when you have made it up and over the top of that mountain.

Best of luck.

Kim

Ged, good for you. Bill's getting through it by focusing on how much better he'll feel once the surgery is done and over. It's making a decision to get your life back. I'll be thinking of you. Jill

Hi Gerard,

I was wondering how you were doing and was pleasantly surprised to read your post that you are moving forward. It is something to wrap one's head around, isn't it. I echo what others have said. It is reassuring to know that others have paved the way for us and are here to support us through the journey.

Will keep you in my prayers. Let us know when your surgery date will be.
Thinking of you,
P.S. My twin sister had an echo done and she does not have a bicuspid aortic valve nor any valve issues. I am so happy for her! Just thought I would update you as I know you and I had the 'twin' discussion before.

well good for you, however you did it! It is a big thing to wrap your head around, especially when you don't feel sick.

I remember the guy who did my angiogram/heart cath telling me the statistics, and I was shocked - then he said that is OVERALL stats, including the guys rolling in off ambulances, not young (52 years) otherwise healthy people like me.

One thought that helped me through was that my regional heart centre does more valve replacements in a week than my local hospital does all surgeries in a month!

Many of us here (yours truly included) needed some meds to help through the last few weeks - I was not sleeping well - and don't be ashamed to reach out for that kind of help, too.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this side of the mountain, where life is good!

Ged:

I'm so glad to see your post! I have thought of you many times in the last year, wondering what you were doing.

We all face hurdles of all kinds in our life. I'm sure you've faced some intimidating ones in the past, and you've aced them.

You'll do it once again -- and will feel so much better when you're on the road to HEALTH....... :)

I am very happy to hear the good news, Ged. Go for it and look positively forward to a newer you. I personally was worried on the day of my surgery about my family (more than about me) who were on pins and needles with lots of stress and anxiety for 5 hours while I was sleeping unconscious of anything around me on the table having my heart fixed to make me more fit.!!

Prayers are sent for you. Keep us posted.

That's the spirit! :)

Now just focus on getting the surgery done & overwith so that you can go on with the rest of your life.

You'll be just fine,!!! Best wishes to you!

Ged, good for you to make this decision. This is a forum of survivors and you will soon be one also. And truly believe what so many say....the wait is worse than the surgery. Put yourself in the hands of God and all the helpful people here along with your surgeons and you will sail thru.

Thoughts and prayers for you.

Midge

Thanks again for your supportive messages.

A concern I have is that since I last cancelled my surgery (last March) the condition may have progressed and by the time I do have the surgery it might have progressed even more.

It's OK Gerard. Think positive. Get some testing done so you can see where you are and then move from there. Don't allow yourself to fret over something before you have some clear cut numbers and answers. Do you have a doctor who is following you? Or do you need to find another cardio? Only good things can follow your decision to have your surgery. :)

What scared me the most were the following, the mention of the mortality rate by the surgeon is 1.5% to 3%, the fear of dying, the fear of having no control, the fear of pain.

You actually do have quite a bit of control!

1.) You choose your surgeon

2.) Almost everyone has a choice of valves

3.) The hospital staff encourages independence from the get go (just a few days after surgery they will be encouraging you get yourself to the bathroom, walk around with the physical therapist, choose things to eat from the food service, wash yourself, watch TV, get out of bed and sit in a chair to read or look at a computer, etc.)

4.) Before surgery you can set up your house so it will be just the way you want it when you get home.

5.) Once you get home you are making all the decision regarding your exercise and diet.

6.) You're mobile pretty fast. The only thing you don't "control" is driving, but it's just a few months until you do that again.

Thanks again for your supportive messages.

A concern I have is that since I last cancelled my surgery (last March) the condition may have progressed and by the time I do have the surgery it might have progressed even more.

It isn't possible to know that without all the tests.
Hopefully, you can get everything scheduled ASAP and get it done and over with.
Do you have any appointments set up already or are you abot to start making them?

It's OK Gerard. Think positive. Get some testing done so you can see where you are and then move from there. Don't allow yourself to fret over something before you have some clear cut numbers and answers. Do you have a doctor who is following you? Or do you need to find another cardio? Only good things can follow your decision to have your surgery. :)

Yes I am meeting with my cardiologist next week. I have no idea what to ask him :) but let's see how it goes.

Good decission, Im scared also, but am ready to put this behind me and move on. Were a big group here, and we will all get through this together.

you've got that right, Danny. We are a big group, we do stick together through thick and thin. Then we do the same again and again and......... well, you know.

Latest posts

Back