I am going to do it........

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

Some of you may know that I discharged myself from hospital the night before aortic valve replacement surgery earlier this year.

Since then I have done alot of work with my fears and I feel I am ready to have surgery.

What scared me the most were the following, the mention of the mortality rate by the surgeones 1.5% to 3%, the fear of dying, the fear of having no control, the fear of pain.

I need to look at the positives.

I am only 33 so should be able to recover quicky.
It's a routine yet major surgery but it is routine!
Thousands of these operations are carried out every year
After operation is finished all this worry will be gone!

Congratulations! Everything you have said about positive results are right on. Good for you. You have a long life ahead of you now.

Just do it,

I also used to go to my doc and look at him as if asking for some more time, but now I am fed up just want this to get over so that I can take control of my life back.
I am sick of worrying all along about what if's...and is this the symptom to go to the doc...

Just want some piece of mind.

some people never know they have a problem untill it is too late.we do and can do something about it. it is hard preparing for surgery when you feel bad. it is even harder when you feel good.i feel good most of the time and it is hard. i am driving to the hospital this afternoon for a ct and dont feel like i should even be doing that say nothing about upcoming surgery.but, inside i know i need it and it is better to do it now than wait.you can do it-good luck.

Ged, it is wonderful to learn that you have been able to overcome your fears. I know that whatever decision you make will be a good and informed one. Please continue to keep us posted as you move down this road toward a mended heart. You are still always in my thoughts and prayers. I truly consider you a little brother even if we have never met in person. Take Care:)

So glad you changed your mind. Just remember that this site is full of people who have done it and come through to the other side with a great life awaiting.

Kind of like going to the airport...

Kind of like going to the airport...

many people have the same fears about flying. Sometimes going to the airport and watching plane after plane take off and land with out incident and realizing this is happening all over the world, it gives you the perspective you need to overcome anxiety. Chatting or even just reading the posts in this forum are helpful in the same way. All thse folks, just a small percentage of the post op population, have come through surgery and are so much better for it. Looking forward to your joining us!

Congratulations on your decision. Please feel free to continue to post about your fears. We are here to "talk you off the ledge" if you need us.

YES!!! Gerard I have been worried about you, I am so glad that you posted you are going ahead with this so you can get it behind you and move on with your life, you are young and will do great.

Kris

So happy to hear you are ready to go forward. We are all afraid when facing OHS. How could one do so without trepidation? My cardio was so wonderful getting me through my second OHS and would call from time to time to give me moral support more than anything else and when he asked, what are you feeling? My answer was: A cross between terror and hysteria. But what's the choice? We have to do what we have to do.

Do it as fast as you can and get it over with. You're young and will heal quickly and will be so grateful you did it. Look at the confidence it will give you to face smaller obstacles that get in your path in the future. You'll know you conquered OHS so can conquer just about anything of smaller proportion.

We are here to help you in every way we can. We all understand and know what a difficult thing this is to do. Only those of us who have been there can really get it.

Let us help you.

When I ask my surgeon about mortality he said 3-5%. He then quickly added that this included folks with cancer, and many other problems. He said with my health no high blood pressure, diabeates or other problems my risk was 0% or as close as one could get. If you have no other major health probelms I am sure it is the same for you. I am almost twice your age and it went great.

That's great that you have made the decision. It's better to have this behind you than in your future :) We are here for you, hope you post often until the big day and soon after.

Best wishes.

Being fully prepared, even mentally, is a big part of a successful recovery. It sounds like you are there and I wish you all the very best for a smooth trip over the mountain.

AVR is a very safe surgery, so don't worry about these insignificant statistics! There is always some risk in any kind of surgery; I don't believe there is such a thing as a 0% mortality rate.

I'm sure you have strategies to help you face surgery, but one thing that might help is not thinking about this as typical heart surgery--due to the strong negative connotation associated with it. I had bone graft surgery on my wrist several years ago and the anesthesiologist had difficulty putting me to sleep which nearly created some serious problems. No one would have thought of anything this serious happening in a wrist surgery! I'm sure if I had looked at the numbers I would have found that there is a minimal risk associated with the surgery, probably not too much different from AVR, but I didn't bother because I believed that it was routine and it was being done on my hand.
Have faith! Faith in your doctors, faith in your family and friends, and if you practice, religious faith. You will be just fine!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement, I really can't wait to get over this hurdle.

As somebody in the hospital said to me last year, I won'r be aware of the operation, I don't have to perform it :) so there is no need to worry.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement, I really can't wait to get over this hurdle.

As somebody in the hospital said to me last year, I won'r be aware of the operation, I don't have to perform it :) so there is no need to worry.

Yeah - you get to sleep through it and then they give you really good meds.;):D;)

Glad you decided to go ahead with the surgery. You will look back and wonder why it took you so long to decide. It was scary for all of us but waiting really does'nt help can cause more problems in the long run. You will feel so much better you will see. Keep us posted.
Good Luck and God Bless.

Latest posts

Back