I am flabbergasted

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone who will not eat any greens. He says it took awhile to stabalize his INR and doesn't want to go through that again by changing his diet.

I know someone who will not eat any greens. He says it took awhile to stabalize his INR and doesn't want to go through that again by changing his diet.

Oh well, he's doing the wrong thing and depriving himself of needed nutrients. Maybe if he had a great manager working with him, he see things differently.

Oh boy, don't tell Dr. Gourmet, but I eat more then a cup of these baby cabbage heads and looky at whats in one cup! 218.9 mcgs

capture_27072009_153406.jpg

Amazing isn't it. I still stay in range.

Ross where can I find this chart? Could have the answers I'm looking for.

First of all I hate this mcg.
Example: fresh garden peas including the shells - yes raw, right from the vine

And this my love, is why I don't want to send it to you. You'll obsess over it for nothing. Just eat like you always have and adjust your dose to match your diet. Dieting the dose does not work and only leads to seesawing and frustration.

1 cup raw has 344 mcg So tell me, does this mean you'll only eat 3 peas?

The whole point of this thread is to let people know that this dieting the K crap doesn't work, so don't even start trying to make it work.

oh my Dear Ross, I have to do something. I've been on the roller coaster ride for almost 3 months and I'm just about to throw the towel in. I have to try something. I'm tired of Dosing the diet.

I have two friends who were on coumadin before I had my brief time on it following my surgery.

I am thankful I read what I did here on VR.com because had I listened to them, I would have been totally miserable. They argued with me furiously that I was a fool ordering broccoli, spinach, asperagus, glass of wine etc the times we had dinner out with them while I was on coumadin. It got to the point, I made a 'rule' we weren't going to discuss eachother's diets because we had to agree to disagree. They were waiting for me to stroke out.

They refused to listen to me as I tried to teach them they could have those foods they were missing so much. They ignored my sharing with them that MGH discussed my usual diet with me (loads of greens/vitamin k rich foods) and their instruction was simple....... BE CONSISTENT. They never told me to not eat them. They educated me (as did everyone here) I could have my rich veggie diet and still be safe on coumadin. I am sure it impacted the fact that I never reached my range but my doctors were fine with my being 'almost' there for the brief 2 1/2 months I took it. ( I know the mantra the right dose is the dose that gets you in range but my cruising up to 100 mg was not sitting wonderfully with them. They didn't make too much out of it with me as I was a 'temporary' user.

My cardio told me he has been saying for twenty years..... dose the diet. We all know not all docs/coumadin managers get it.

I remember back some months ago that there was some doctor with a q & a site about warfarin that was so outrageous that a number of us wrote him some essays. Dr. Gourmet isn't nearly as bad but he is bad. But at least he uses the word consistent!

Ross, I don't know why you're flabbergasted - the ptinr site has all sorts of Vit K fear devices, including a Vit K diary.

I remember back some months ago that there was some doctor with a q & a site about warfarin that was so outrageous that a number of us wrote him some essays. Dr. Gourmet isn't nearly as bad but he is bad. But at least he uses the word consistent!

Ross, I don't know why you're flabbergasted - the ptinr site has all sorts of Vit K fear devices, including a Vit K diary.

That's just it, were supposd to be supporting each other, though I suppose they have a REAL legal reasoning behind it, even if it's wrong, where here, we are not professionals, but consider ourselves so because we manage our own issues.

oh my Dear Ross, I have to do something. I've been on the roller coaster ride for almost 3 months and I'm just about to throw the towel in. I have to try something. I'm tired of Dosing the diet.

I should not say this for obvious reasons, but your Doctor has proven to be Coumadin Stupid.

Take control of your own dosing and stop listening to that nitwit Doctor you have. If you still don't understand how to do it, I will help you. I bet the yo yo stops within 2 weeks.

Freddie - you have to break with that grasp on your mind that says even though you know your doctor isn't right, you still feel compelled to stay with/follow the instructions. It took me a few REALLY bad doctors to end my Doctor is God reflex I was raised to have. I'm pretty darned certain that your yo-yo-ing is totally an outcome of bad management.

Are you stuck with this doc or do you have the ability to find another? If he/she is this bad with Coumadin - I'd really question just how good they are with other issues as well.

Why are so many health care workers so poorly informed re: coumadin?
The easy answer doesn't work for me. These are not stupid people. Why have they not learned how to manage this drug?

I don't care the Med School spends 15 mnutes on it. Nurses may not have any formal insturction. A cardiologist knows he has many patients on it. Why does he not learn more? How can they dismiss their ignorance with such casualness?

My uncle, who's been on warfarin for ten years because of a-fib, has been assigned a small dose of vit. K per day, plus all the greeny things he can eat. His levels are stable and he's happy as a clam.

Dr. Gourmet is selling stuff, plain and simple. I'll stick to my gut diet, plus the online calculator and the advice I get at my clinic and here. So far I'm doin' fine, and will be able to apply for home testing in another month. This guy is trying to become the next Dr. Atkins and (cranky old fart that I am) I wish him a similar end. Ahem.

For me, successful INR management has NEVER required any kind of special diet, or looking over a chart to determine what I eat. There are five rules to successful INR management.
1. Take warfarin as prescribed.
2. INR test on a regular schedule.
3. Eat WHATEVER I want, which includes leafy green vegs and other foods
with vit K almost every day.
Just be reasonably consistent with vit K intake.
4. Take warfarin as prescribed.
5. Take warfarin as prescribed.

Following any kind of special diet will not guarantee freedom from stroke. Not taking warfarin as prescribed may, very well, guarantee a stroke. Been there, done that.......it ain't no fun.

Why are so many health care workers so poorly informed re: coumadin?
The easy answer doesn't work for me. These are not stupid people. Why have they not learned how to manage this drug?

I don't care the Med School spends 15 mnutes on it. Nurses may not have any formal insturction. A cardiologist knows he has many patients on it. Why does he not learn more? How can they dismiss their ignorance with such casualness?

Hey Al Lodwick is out there trying to teach the profession the way it should be and I've heard that some of his classes were filled with pros that pretty much discarded everything he's trying to teach them. They've been taught, most of them, incorrectly, and they are not open to change.

Ahhh, I think I smell a rat .....................

Ahhh, I think I smell a rat .....................

Are you sure this isn't just an elaborate hoax and the author's title should be Col. not Dr? Another "chef" with Harlan in his name?

Are you sure this isn't just an elaborate hoax and the author's title should be Col. not Dr? Another "chef" with Harlan in his name?

Food Doctor perhaps. I just wish these people would stop with this Vit K nonsense. Heck, now even the National Patient Safety Goals administration is implementing this ridiculous policy in hospitals. If your on Coumadin, your automatically placed on a Coumadin Restricted diet.
dunno.gif

Here's another one that grabs me. I eat everything on the OMIT list. These people are never going to learn if they keep this practice up.

http://www.dietitian.com/vitamink.html#table

Latest posts

Back