Husbands Semi Annual Cardio Visit-Question?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

My husabnd had his AVR 7 1/2 years ago and went for his semi-annual cardio visit. I went with him and everything was fine. They did a EKG and said it looked perfect. Before we left his cardio told him to add a 81 mg. aspirin every other day to his meds. I don't think he needs this and don't want to mess with his INR as he is almost always in range and even had his colonoscopy in Nov. while on coumadin with no problems. How many of you on coumadin take a low dose aspirin also? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I had AVR on 22 Jan this year and was taking 81mg asprin before the surgery. This has continued after the surgery along with my dosing of warfarin (66mg/week). From what I understand the asprin acts differently on the blood than warfarin. Asprin acts on the platelets. I found this in a very quick web search:
"Some people have aspirin and warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) both prescribed. This is because they work on two different clotting factors. The combination can be very effective in preventing repeat heart attacks. When used this way, the dose of aspirin is very low and not likely to cause a bleeding problem. This seems to be safe for people who are at low to moderate risk for bleeding."
I do not believe that the asprin will affect the INR.
Cameron

Thanks Cameron and Ross. The cardio said for him to have his INR checked after 2 weeks on the aspirin to see if it caused his INR to go up. We did not see our regular cardio. Was not real impressed with this one. He started off by saying that hubby should be careful not to get cut or hit his head. I guess if he knew he had his colonoscopy while on coumadin he would have been shocked or knew that when he got hit in the mouth with a steel pipe at work that he did not bleed anymore than anyone else. Thanks to this site I know not to be scared of hubby being on coumadin.

Sue, the cardio should have known that the INR would not be affected by the Aspirin....
If you do add the Aspirin to his regular meds, then yes, it is wise to be a bit more careful regarding any bleeds, but it's nothing to panic about.
I took it for 2 yrs postop and then my cardio said I could stop it.

Latest posts

Back