Husbands Appt. about Colonoscopy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

I met my husband at the doctors office this morning to discuss the prep for his colonoscopy. I was prepared with all the ammunition I needed to fight to keep him on coumadin during procedure. We didn't need any of it. He will do the procedure at 2.5 with him on coumadin in the hospital with a IV antibiotic. Any small polyps he can remove then, any larger polyps he will try and get a sample. If he needs to remove them he will reschedule us for another procedure in the hospital with heparin. He says he has done hundreds us these on patients with mechanical valves on coumadin. He said there may be some oozing but he will watch for this and the chance of any major problems is rare. He has never had one patient have a major bleed. He said it is riskier for him to go off the coumadin and have a clot and stroke. I think I love this doctor. They are going to schedule it after our 41st anniversary trip next month. Maybe I can sleep tonight.

If I decide to have a colonoscopy, I might just come to Georgia. ;):D

Sounds just wonderful - I am sure you are happy to have such a great doctor.

If I decide to have a colonoscopy, I might just come to Georgia. ;):D

Sounds just wonderful - I am sure you are happy to have such a great doctor.

Funny, but I was just thinking the same thing! :) The doctors in my home town, both the cardio & the dr doing the colonoscopy, will not do it unless I am off of coumadin for 4 days prior! :eek:

So....... no will do!

I know, I was so worried and prepared to say just forget it. There is only a 5% chance of getting colon cancer according to this doctor. But, he also said it is fast growing and he really recommended everyone over 50 having one. I had my first one last year and had 5 polyps removed and one was precancerous. But, I am not on coumadin. It was such a relief that this doctor had this attitude.

Latest posts

Back