Hunting Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilman

I am presently almost 7 weeks out from surgery. My surgeon told me that at 6 weeks, I could "do whatever I want". However, my cardiologist advised me not to lift over 25 lbs for another 6 weeks.

Deer hunting season with muzzle loaders started today (Saturday). I've already shot a 20ga. shotgun and it felt no different than it ever has...no problem. My question for some of you VR.com folks who hunt is: Has my chest bone healed enough to take the kick of a muzzle loader?

I personally feel that I'll probably be ok shooting it, but I'd like your opinion.

Thanks

A muzzle loader doesn't have much more kick than a 20 gauge. I would be a little hesitant but I know how hard it is to resist hunting season. ;) :D Just make sure you anchor it well so it doesn't slip and kick back at your sternum - that might be a problem.

You might find you have some issues with shoulder bruising being on coumadin so please pad up well.

I would also suggest having others help with hauling any deer - that might be a bit much for you.

If shooting the 20ga didn't make you feel pain, then your probably ok. I know I couldn't have, but we all heal at different rates.

I live with an avid hunter and also know how anxious you may be. He has counted the days until hunting season this year.

But speaking as a recent OHS patient, it isn't so much about the pain or no pain, but about how long it actually takes for your sternum to heal. My doctors, both surgeon and cardio, said that it takes the bone at least 6 months to heal. I would be very careful. You don't want to add insult to injury so to speak. And I also agree on the suggestion to get assistance with hauling the deer out of the woods. I was told no heavy lifting for 6 months as well.

I can also speak to injuring myself right after surgery with a knee injury from all of the walking and trying to get back to running.

Be patient! You have the rest of your life and lots of deer out there waiting on you!

Lisa

Thanks guys,

Most of the opposition is coming from my wife. She doesn't want me hunting at all until 3 months, period. I'm anxious to get back to it. I've been "confined to quarters" so to speak for over 4 months with nothing to do but prepare and dream for hunting season, which, concidentally started at the "mile post" of 6 weeks after surgery. Also, I'll miss my best chances since deer get wary soon after season start.

I've decide to give up muzzle loader season, since mine does have more kick than my regular season rifle. However, I don't think I'm going to be able to resist for long once regular rifle season comes in. I might be willing to give up all shots except for trophy sized bucks (which pretty much makes my sternum safe from here to eternity!)

GeeBee, sounds like you know what your talking about! Apparently you have some experience with firearms.

BMac, I hope your valve surgery timing works out better than mine did. Good luck!

llewis, I understand your situation. I have been a runner for 25 years. I had to give up running a about a year and a half ago due to tendonitus in my right knee. However, I discovered "racewalking" about 6 months ago. I'm almost as fast as when I ran and it doesn't bother my knee. Doc says one more week and I can start back running/racewalking. Good luck with the running, and if it doesn't work out, you might try the racewalking thing.

A muzzle loader can kick more than a 20 ga.
This depends on your load.
What are you shooting? And with what load?

GeeBee has some good points. Buy and extra butt pad for the gun. (but remember that can change how you veiw through your sights or scope and could change your shot placement.)

If you are shooting 150 grain....the kick will be substantially more than a 20 ga.
If you use preformed pellets, go buy some powder and measure it into the muzzle and work your way up to what you normally shoot. This should give you plenty of "prectice" shooting to be sure the sternum can handle it.

I, too, am excited about ML season. Here in Ohio it isn't until after Christmas. Come join us if it doesn't work down there this season.

Ben

On a side note, I wouldn't have even considered shooting a 20 ga at 7 weeks...so congrats.

Howdy Ben,

Yeah, my ML kicks quite a bit harder than my 20 ga., which concerns even me a little. I have 2 ML's. I bought a CVA about 3 years ago and use loose powder with it. I got a TC Omega as a present last year. I use the pellets in it. I've been shooting the 240 gr. 50 cal. bullets in both. I had already planned on using the CVA with about 80 gr. of powder and taking only 50-60 yard shots.

I have conceded the Eastern ML season to my wife this year. (N.C. has 3 seperate seasons depending upon what part of the state you live in.) I think she will agree to ML hunting the Piedmont season which opens in early Nov.

She also has a problem with regular gun season and climbing a ladder stand, so I've come up with satisfactory compromise. I'm going to borrow a 44 mag. Thompson pistol from my uncle, scope it and try my luck at handgun hunting until my 3 months are up in Nov. This will solve the "kick" problem to the sternum. The ladder climbing problem has given me an excuse to buy one of those tent style ground blinds that I've been eyeing since turkey season.

I've got plenty of hunting partners more than willing to drag and dress anything I drop.

Good luck with your hunting this year and thanks for the envite! Maybe some day I can scrap up enough $$ for an out of state hunt.

Barry

Latest posts

Back