HRT & Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessed1416

I recently began experiencing night sweats and other unpleasant menopausal symptoms. My GYN put on premarin tabs. He knew my history of MV problems, and assured me that HRT is a safe treatment for my symptoms. However, after researching on the internet, I'm not so sure. Can anyone help me with more information on this subject? Thanks!!:)

Check Interactions1 potential interaction was found for the drugs you selected.
You searched for interactions between the following drugs:

Coumadin Tablets
Premarin
Add or Delete Drugs

Start Over with a New List of Drugs

(Note: Not all drug interactions are known or reported in the literature, and new drug interactions are continually being reported. This information is provided only for your education and for you to discuss with your personal healthcare provider. )

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin Tablets) may interact with CONJUGATED ESTROGENS (in Premarin)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, conjugated estrogens may lessen the beneficial effect of warfarin. Conjugated estrogens, a drug that contains of a mixture of two specific types of estrogen, affects proteins in the blood that are responsible for preventing excessive bleeding. These proteins work by causing the blood to clot when it is needed. High doses of conjugated estrogens may increase the blood levels of these proteins and this could cause the blood to clot more than normal. If these drugs are used together, conjugated estrogens may diminish the ability of warfarin to prevent blood clots. Information about this potential interaction is limited, however the use of warfarin with a small dose of conjugated estrogens does not appear to cause any harmful effects. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: May 2006

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Intera...=705&cD=243&dN="Coumadin+Tablets"+"Premarin"+

Be sure to get an INR when you start the premarin - if you start it. And check it weekly until you see no changes due to the premarin.

Latest posts

Back