How old when you had an AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valves

Valves

Here I go again...The Mother Hen of Vr.com..at 2,093 posts..4th behind..Ross, Nancy and Ann.......It's not the valve you choose..All will be life=saving.......but please REMEMBER..it takes a good 1 year to feel your old self again.....3 months to get the drugs out of you..that foggy head...weakness,..1 good day..2 bad days...ect... Pain from shoulders, back...when you overdo it...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You may think at 6 months...I'm well.. then something as minor as lifting..will put the pain back in your back...:mad: :mad: I am back at my old self...20 months..post op..NEVER would I want to go thru that open-heart surgery again.....or put my family thru having to take care of me.:eek: :eek: :eek: Remember..they have their lives , too....Work, children, ect. AND remember..in 20 years..they will be older..too... I have the Mechanical valve...Coumadin is no big deal....and I sleep good knowing ..No more surgeries for me....Bonnie

Joann was 33 when she had her first mechanical valves. She was 61 when the valves were replaced and she had the 3 bypass.

Still Clicking in Western Ohio

Hey Joe,
I am 42 - learned I had a biscupid aorta valve at 40 - told I had plenty of time - got a shocker this last July when I was told it needed replacing soon.
I had the Ross Procedure on Oct. 23 - I feel great
Coumadin free - take 1 aspirin a day.
I am back to work full time this week.
I had an echo done 2 weeks ago and my card. said my heart looked great - would never known I just had surgery.

Chilihead is right. There are only about 126 surgeons in the world that will perform a Ross. Luckily for Chilihead and me many good and experienced ones are here in Texas.

My surgeon had no problem helping me to decide on it.
Although if for some reason - I would have gone with probably a Carpentier Edwards Bovine as my second choice. I was not ready for Coumadin at this point in my life if I had another choice.

I know 40 is an awful age for this because we are right in the middle - not too old for a tissue valve and be done with it knowing would probably not out live it - and not really young enough to just go with mechanical for the longevity.

Don't worry just research and you will find what is best for you.
Remember the wait is the worst.

Above all enjoy the holidays.
Best of luck to you,
Susan Allen

I was 34 when I had my 1st avr and aneurism repair.
My porcine valve lasted 11 years, and I enjoyed just going back to my normal life.
At 46, I had my 2nd avr and got mechanical.
I can say now after 3 yrs that I am okay with it and all the extra crap it entails.
No really, I am glad to be alive and am totally used to the clicking.
Gail

It takes a Lickin' and still keeps on tickin'. So just how loud is the ole' St. Judes. Thats is what is recommended to me.
Its nice to see that those with the mechanical valves are doing well and the coumadin doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Steve, I will continue to pray for your recovery. Let me know how you are doing.

Joe Parker

I had AVR at age 30 with St. Judes mechanical. Wasn't given any other option by my surgeon. The coumadin has really been a non-issue for me, just as many others have said. Although, I have curtailed my alcohol intake somewhat, and while I have not limited my activities one bit, I am more careful while engaged in them.

Oh yeah, the clicking definitely took some getting used to, but now I hardly ever hear it.

Overall, I think you will be pleased with the mechanical valve.

I am 39 and just had my aortic valve replaced along with the aortic root and an ascending aortic aneurysm. Like everyone else I waffled between wanting a tissue valve over a mechanical and back again. The morning of my surgery I told them my preference was for a tissue. Well I woke up with a mechanical. My surgeon told me that for my situation the best option was an aortic conduit which is a graft that incorperates the root and the valve with the ascending graft. Fewer seams it seems.

After the fact, I am glad that I may not have to go though this again. I am glad that my family may not have to do this again.

Now, if it wasn't for that darn clicking....

Rick

Well folks, I have chosen the St. Jude (don't let me down) valve for my replacement. Had my angiogram and aortigram yesterday and thought I could just bounce when it was done, boy was I wrong. Feel a bit tired today but otherwise ok. My angio looks great and I was given the "green light" to get my valve replaced tomorrow (jan 21st).
I did alot of reading on the different options and listened to my doctors and that is how I came up with my decision. One thing I was told by my surgeons assistant was that they use this valve in third world countries and even though they go back home and have virtually no access to coumadin.

Talk to y'all soon

Joe Parker
Antioch, California
AVR replacement scheduled Jan 21st, 2004
St. Jude (don't let me down) valve
Mt. Diablo Hospital, Concord, California

Latest posts

Back