How old were you when you had your AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
age 52 with pork valve (mmmm, bacon, bacon, bacon!!) My AVR was last year. I figure in 15-20 years if/when the current valve deteriorates they'll grow me a new valve from my DNA and stem cells and replace the valve through my mouth. We live in hope...

Valerie,

I was 56 yrs. I have a Medtronic Mosaic third generation (pig valve). Implanted Feb 2008. As of two months ago, it's doing GREAT!! Like Olephin, I had some complications. Took all this time to fully recouperate!

I had just turned 34. Mechanical valve (On-X) to hopefully avoid going through the process of replacement again. Almost two years ago now. Apart from some great perspective gained and some good stories, it doesnt really impact my day to day life at all.

Two days prior to my 18th birthday I had a St. Jude Mechanical Valve installed. The valve was still going strong nearly 19 years later when I had to have the ascending aorta and root replaced so I received a new St. Jude valve at that time as well (one piece valve / graft). I'm 36 now and eight days out of surgery.

Went with mechanical

Went with mechanical

I was 60 and went with a mechanical, St. Jude's, a little over 2 years ago. Wanted to avoid doing it again if possible (also was feeling wildly optimistic about being around long enough to make this an issue:eek:) Definitely happy with the choice.

I was 56 years old and I picked a St. Jude Mechanical
I hate the drugs and the clic clic clic
But I chose Mechanical rather than face OHS again.
The morning before is like hell on earth.
But 6 hours later my eyes were following every movement of the INC
Then I knew I was OK
4 days later I walked ( slowly)out of the hospital.

age 42 , 29mm bovine tissue valve.

I was very lucky and had an event free recovery. This really helped, as it makes the prospect of my inevitable second surgery not seem so bad.

40 with Medtronic Freestyle Bioprosthesis Porcine, just the valve.

46 after that one occluded with pannus and my aortic root dilation was great enough to concern the surgeon... again, Medtronic Freestyle oinker

29 i had a bovine pericardial. had two kids- normal pregnancies -and just had it redone at 39 replaced with ATS mechanical.

I just turned 47. I wanted to go tissue but the night before surgery, my surgeon told us that was not a good idea for me. He essentially told us that I might not survive another surgery. I now have the St. Judes mechanical.

Karl

I was 49 when I found out I had a congenital heart defect. I had AVR when I was 50. I chose a St Judes mechanical because I didn't want to risk a tissue valve wearing out later in life when another surgery would be much harder. Trade-off was the coumadin, but that hasn't been a problem. Hope this helps!

I was 2 months shy of turning 59 and I chose tissue at my surgeon's suggestion. One of my biggest fears is having to go through OHS again at an older age and I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice but so far, so good. My cardiologist has a very positive attitude and tells me my cow valve should live a very long life and I shouldn't have to face replacement again. Positive thinking!

Latest posts

Back