How much Vitamin K do you consume?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much Vitamin K do you consume?

• Total voters

TheGymGuy

Just curious how much vitamin K you guys consume? If you are willing to share specifics that would be great too.

I will start. I consume around 190-230mcg of K per day. I take 80mcg in multi-Vitamin form at 9am, and same at 9pm, so thats 160mcg total from multi-Vitamins only. For lunch I might have a little bit of salad or just some shredded lettuce, or a little bit of green beans, and for dinner I would have green beans or broccoli, or califlower, etc. I estimate that on high days I go close to 300 but those happen once or at most twice a week.

Also, my Coumadin doze is 61-62 per week. I think its 4 days of 9mg and 3 days of 8.5 mg and I hover in the 2.0 - 2.2 depending on day and time of the day that I measure. I measure randomly and at random times in the day. So, I might measure on Friday in the AM one week, and then on Wednesday night the next, and Thursday afternoon or Tuesday afternoon the 3rd week. This way I do not cheat the system by always measuring same day and same time or I feel that I would be manipulating the system by cutting or eating extra greens the night before the test.

EDITED TO ADD: Vitamin K is super super important to our body functions, artery health etc. I have been reading lots about its benefits back in the day before surgery and always ate lots of greens. I know for sure that cutting it out or keeping it low is not an option for me. Just like you guys taught me to doze the diet. I want to share back that keeping super low Vit. K intake might not be beneficial. I hope to share some research about its positives once we collect some data here.

http://vitaminherbuniversity.com/topic.asp?categoryid=1&topicid=1011#subcatid1

Last edited:
Right now, I'm taking 30 mcg in a pack of vitamins that I get at Costco. I don't usually take two packets. Either way, my K intake is pretty low. I also don't do a lot of greens.

It's not a bad strategy to test your blood on different days. I found that, when I was taking different doses on different days, my INR also fluctuated, based on the day of the week. (Of course, if the only difference is .5 mg from one day to the next, you may not see much fluctuation - especially because you're taking a relatively high dose.) I try, if possible, to take the same dose every day so, theoretically, my INR would be stable and not be different whichever day I test it.

It's really nice to have your own meter. I'm glad that I have mine. (Now, if I could only trust them....)

yeah, 61mg does not divide into 7 evenly. So, we need to fluctuate a little bit. I might move up to 63 and this would be 9mg even per day.

I take in about 90 mcg per day. That's all from food, no vitamins. My warfarin is at 34.5 mg per week. I stopped taking multi-vitamins because unless you are deficient in an area, you don't need to have a vitmain supplement, and this has been written up in a lot of places.

I'm currently in the early weeks of an experiment where I am supplementing my diet with a daily vitamin k2 pill of 90mcg. I don't closely track the vitamin K in my regular diet, but I estimate that at around 30mcg per day average, thus giving a total vitamin-k intake of about 120mcg/day. I don't eat a lot of greens, but it turns out that cashew nuts, which I like to snack on at work, have a fair amount of vitamin K.

I presently take 13mg warfarin per day (91mg/week), which I know is a lot. That's another reason why I'm thinking that the vitamin K2 supplement will help counter some of the possible calcifying/artery-hardening effects of the warfarin. This is a slight increase from the 12 to 12.5mg/day I had been taking before starting the experiment with the K2 supplement.
My INR had previously been bouncing all over the place, but it does seem to be much more stable now that I'm taking the extra K2. Unfortunately it has been stable at around 2.2 or 2.3 for the past 3 weeks and I'll likely have to increase my warfarin dose to 13.5 or 14mg per day to get back into range (2.5-3.5). I'm not crazy about the large warfarin dose, but it takes what it takes. Hopefully the K2 will benefit both my INR stability and my vascular health.

I take a mulitvitamin with about 50 mg
I eat at least one serving of spinach/cabbage, asparagus, kale, or other leafy greens daily. Sometimes two servings.
Plus a large salad. So that's easily in excess of 200 mg.

But I don't keep track of my vitamin K. I just eat normally for me, and let the chips fall. I DO try not to eat half a bunch of kale at one sitting, however.

Skyler gets about 150mg in his multivitamin in the mornings.. then on top of that whatever is in his diet which varies depending on the day. He usually needs to be coerced into eating greens of any quantity so I'm sure it's around tha 150-200 mark daily!

I don't track it but ive been trying to keep a closer watch. I have a dark green salad two or three times a week. I get a big head of couliflour and eat all in the week. A little each day. I also have a little brocolli a few times a week. I did not know that cashew nuts had any vit k! That explains why my inr got so out of range a few times. I need to look at everything. I take 22.5 mg per week. My inr has been 2.3 for three weeks now. (with no cashews!)

I do not track the amount either. I eat broccoli, salad, asparagus, spinach every other day only because I love the taste and it has nutrients. My INR results have showed that these intakes keep me in my 2.0-3.0 range that is required.

I'm just curious for those of you who eat things very high in K (spinach, broccoli, etc.) a few times a week, how much coumadin do you take?

I'm just curious for those of you who eat things very high in K (spinach, broccoli, etc.) a few times a week, how much coumadin do you take?

Broc is actually not a super high Vit K food; Kale, collard greens, and cooked spinach are high K foods.

Even while eating regular portions of greens like broc, romaine, etc. my Coumadin dose is only 18 mg per WEEK.
(I guess my liver function is a bit slow ) ;)

I take between 26 to 29 mg/week, and eat a fair amount of greens. I seem to have seasonal shifts in dosage which I suspect may be related to what greens are available when, and how much vit K is in them based upon seasons.

But I also take spironolactone, which raises my INR through interaction with warfarin.

When I wasn't on spironolactone, I took 32 to 36 mg/week.

I take a 100 mcg supplement of Vit K plus the 35 mcg in multivitamin. I don't track my dietary intake but it's probably in the range of 75 to 80 mcg. My warfarin dosage is approx. 8 mg per day.

Back