How Much To Disclose In Job Interview...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PeggyM

As many of you know, I lost my job the day I went back after the heart surgery, was "offered" a part time temporary job with no guarantee of a job after several weeks. I opted to decline that and went back on temporary disability.

Tomorrow I have an interview and am wondering how much to disclose. I can say that my job went to part time and that wasn't sufficient for me. But do I tell them about having the mitral valve replacement? Should I be totally honest about what happened or keep the surgery thing to myself?

This interview is with a physical therapy group so you would think it would be okay. But I've learned that even health care companies treat people like me differently. And that's putting it mildly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

My problem is I'm a talker. LOL. I love to use my three surgeries, recoveries and fitness level as inspiration for fitness clients and patients. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

Also, in getting a new job and new health insurance, wouldn't the new health insurance company/rep find out and possibly disclose that to the employer?

Too many questions I know.

Keep it a secret until you are hired. Not only might they think that you aren't physically capable of handling the job duties, they might also be concerned with your effect on their health insurance.

I lost my job due to a restructuring shortly after I returned to work post-op so I'm working with a career transition consultant right now. I asked about this and was advised that during the job interview I should only talk about matters that are relevant and material to performing the job. If your heart surgery does not impact your ability to perform the job, then it's not relevant so don't discuss it. I've attended several interviews, and health history has never been brought up.

Once you have the job you will have to disclose health history when applying for benefits but that is supposed to be confidential medical information between you and the insurance underwriter and is not supposed to be shared with your employer.

Good luck at the interview.

Peggy, during the interview all you have to do is answer their questions and talk about your job related experience. Consider your medical history to be personal info and not anybody's business for now. If they specifically ask, then don't lie, but otherwise hush up. Once you are hired it is up to you how much of this personal/medical info you share with others. Good Luck:)

I went through the interview and hiring process back in July and I did not discuss my health at all - nada, zip, zilch. None of their business unless, as stated earlier, it would limit what you can do to perform your work. In addition, since my company is large enough, I did not have to fill out any medical forms for insurance - it really depends on the plan the company has in place. Even if you had to fill out forms, the insurance company cannot disclose any information to your employer - against the law.

I have chosen since I was hired to talk about my medical history only slightly. Some folks know I have a mechanical valve but do not know of my multiple surgeries, etc.

On the insurance.......I was recently informed (by my rep) if five years has passed....you are not obligated to list prior surgeries. Medication yes. They can draw a conculsion and ask questions if need be. Have not heard a peep in 3 months and my policy is in full force. I no longer have MVP, no longer a pre-exisiting. Though....there is the little issue of the mechanical prothesis:D Which in not a pre-exsisting. But a product of corrective surgery which took place over 5 years ago. Funny how it can be "twisted". Right back at ya ins co. Can't tell you how they have messed with approving a new INR home testing kit. Only approving if my INR was in range for the last three months. Makes a ton of sense! Life insurance is another story.

On the interview. I would not offer that info.

Good luck!

If they do not ask.....don't tell. If they offer group Ins. they have to cover you. The only question I can remember being asked is if there was any medical reason I could not do the job at hand.....there was not so I kept quiet. Mums the word:cool:

Think of it as just another surgery that you had...if you had your Tonsils out would you feel you might need to disclose that?...probably not...I would keep quiet on the OHS in the interview etc unless specifically asked about it for insurance purposes etc. I dont think you need to change the way you relate your story to others as a source of inspiration...you have overcome alot and are right to feel proud of your efforts.

Good Luck with the job.

I agree with everyone here, Peggy. I'm in HR and would not recommend disclosing your health condition during an iv. You don't want to plant a seed in the interviewer's mind that you may not be able to perform the essential functions of the job and/or might require time off from work in the future for your health condition. You also don't want this to be an intentional or unintentional factor as to why you are not chosen for the position.

I recommend doing some role-plays on how to respond to iv questions before your iv. This will help you develop answers to commonly asked questions and allow you to think of other stories/past work experiences that are applicable to the position you are interviewing for.

Good luck on your iv tomorrow!
Jennie

Thank you for the GREAT advice everyone!!! The interview went really well and the only time the question of "why" I left my previous job came up was on the app I had to fill out. I just put position reduced to part time.

I really hope I get an offer.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.:)

PeggyM said:
I didn't get it. I'm so bummed.:(
Peggy,

That's just because your perfect job is still out there. Keep looking and you will connect.

"From someone who went through this in July and the disappointments led right to the perfect job."

Sorry you didn't get the job. Believe me, I know from experience how frustrating it is. However, practice makes perfect and, as they say, every "no" gets you closer to a "yes". Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back