How much Exercise is needed ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srinivassusu

Hello,How much Exercise is needed for keeping fitness after OHS ? What are the fitness programs r u following individually ? Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit is used to repair my
Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection,BAV,mod.AR.

Suggest possible exercise programs in my case like involving heart zone kinds of exercises and aerobic exercises etc. My height is 5 ft 11 inches and weight 70 kg(154.32 pounds)

SRINIVAS

Not much really. You can't judge by what some of us here are doing because we've been exercising at a high level for most of our lives. If you are jogging, then 2 miles at a very easy pace, 4 times a week would be sufficient. That amounts to perhaps 2 hours total for the week. It's best to get in 30 minutes in 4 workouts with the heart rate elevated to at least 60% of maximum, but 20 minutes in 6 sessions will also suffice. And any exercise is good. It doesn't matter what the activity is. The issue is whether your heart is getting a healthy workout. It's all good.

We all have different and varying physical abilities, capacites, and of course limitations following our surgeries. I am three months out of robotic mitral valve surgery. I was a bodybuilder, surfer and avid runner in my youth prior to the years that I was dormant and overindulgent. Fortunately, with that muscle memory intact, I still have the knowledge and skill to discipline myself to an excercise program now that I know my life depends on it. My knees can no longer tolerate hard pavement, so I opt for running on the treadmill and switching off with the stationary bicycle. You can vary your times and efforts gaged solely on how you are feeling that day and at that moment since we all experience sensations and that are sporadic and unpredicatable. Activity will usually alleviate and dissipate those feelings. Just trust yourself and love your heart while you are running or biking. As far as weights go, I have abandoned lifting anything heavy, opting for a circuit training style routine that uses light weights for higher reps. Any combination of excercises that will produce an aerobic and cardiovascular effect. My goal now is to prolong my longevity, keep my blood pressure in the normal range, decrease my body weight in order to decrease the load on my heart. Of course your diet and food intake is fundamental to this achievement.

Latest posts

Back