How Much Coumadin Do You Take Per Day?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sherry said:
Hey, Christina, I'm on 7.5 five days per week and 8.0 two days per week. It seems to be working pretty well for a change.

Sherry my friend,

So to see from your Coumadin dosages you seem to be thriving on the stuff, so please keep it that way my friend. I am doing well on 22 mg a day. Not feeling any side effects at all and I eat whatever I want. I am also taking quite a few whole food supplements without any problems. (always have)
Are you planning on coming to the Orlando reunion? I plan to be there, so I hope to see you there.

Hugs,:)

Joe said:
Christina, interesting question,something I have often wondered about!

I take about 1 1/2 mgs perday. Since my ohs in Jan. 2001and a St. Judes mechanical arotic valve my doseage has been pretty low. For years I averaged about 9 mgs per week. Recentley with some other medical concerns
I have been up and down a bit. Weekly testing probably shows more INR changes. I most often tested every 3-4 weeks unless I was out of range.

The last time I visited my old coumadin clinic I asked the nurse what determined doseage. She said they usually start someone out at about 5 mgs. per day and the INR testing determines thereafter. I figured weight , condition, sex , environment , etc. would be of some influence. According to her, not.

Question, does different mg pills influence the pricing of such, or are all mgs priced the same per pill? Probably a stupid question, but I am just curious.
I shell out for the main brand coumadin versus warfarin(heard it's manufacturing process is not as controlled as coumadin ( myth? )

Pretty hot in missouri today .

JOE/MO

P.S. Does some one have a list of all things other than doseage that affects INR?

Hey Joe,

You are a lucky man that you are on such a low dosage but hey, you take as much as you need to stay stable. You dose around the diet, you don't diet the dose.
I've been on a lot of Coumadin from the very beginning as I am a fast metabolizer.
To answer your question. All my pills are priced the same. I do mail order and receive a 3 month supply and pay $40.00 per bottle. I need 10's, 4's and 2's so that 3x $40.00=$120.00. Coumadin doesn't come cheap. Warfarin is cheaper but to please my dear husband I order the Coumadin brand. That makes him feel better.
Your next question if someone has a list of all things other than doseage that effect INR.
Please click below and I am pretty sure you'll find many answers to many questions:

http://www.warfarinfo.com/

Take care,

Robbyn said:
18 mgs daily. I started at 4 or 5 mgs 3 years ago and have steadily increased. I also still have blood drawn just about every week, because is it so NOT stabile.

Hey Robbyn,:)

Wow.. you are also on a high dose. I haven't met anyone so far that is on as high a dose as I am. I've been on as much as 28 per day. I test bi-weekly if I've been pretty stable but if I test high or too low I again test the following week. I just want to be safe because I have 2 surgeries behind me and don't want a third. Second one was because of a blood clot because INR was too low. They didn't realize at the time that I metabolized quickly.
FYI...I used to live in Canada, Ontario years ago.
Kitchener-Waterloo to be exact. Also lived in Barrie Ont. and Cambridge, Ont. The last time I was in Canada was in 1987.

Take care,:)

I take 7.5 4 days a week and 5 3 days a week and have been pretty stable for a while. I do need to get my INR checked, though....
We had a patient at our outpatient clinic whose INR was 18!!!! one day last week. I was impressed to say the least!
Carolyn

4mg or 5mg a day.

I prefer the 4mg but sometimes difficulty getting my hands on them, clinic, etc prefer having one strenght tablet (5mg) i prefer to have 2 mg tablets to give me more flex. 5 runs me around 4 and i dont like splitting tablets.

Mike

doseage

doseage

I take 5 mg. on Monday, Wednesday,Friday and 2 1/2 rest of the days. I have been running low but I think that it might be the fruit doing it.

How much Rat Poison is too much?

How much Rat Poison is too much?

I just had Warfarin training class with my HMO and the doctor said she's seen folks with dose as high as 30mg per day. That must be for the big rats. :D

dtread said:
I just had Warfarin training class with my HMO and the doctor said she's seen folks with dose as high as 30mg per day. That must be for the big rats. :D

dtread Wow:) ... 30 mg a day?.. Well, call me a smaller "rat" but I've been as high as 28 with no noticable side effects. I feel grateful!

I have been taking 7.5mg x 4 days and 10mg x 3 days - but i have been bouncing around from 1.6 to 4.3 - I have had several above 4 weeks - I am getting some new test strips from Raytel for my INRatio - they said sometime the heat effects the results...

I started out at 5 mg. daily when I was eleven. It slowly decreased to 2 mg. till I had to increase the fiber in my diet and now it is fairly stable on 2 1/2 mg.

Weekly home testing is the only way to go.:)

Hi Christina,

Well if you haven't been in Ontario for awhile you need to visit:) I live in the Peterborough area, it's nice countryside, alot better than Toronto, where I am from originally.

I am not understanding the correlation between a low INR, and metabolizing Coumadin quickly. I just ask because my INR sometimes dips down to 1.7, well let's say more often than I like it to.

Take care,
Robbyn

Robbyn said:
Hi Christina,

Well if you haven't been in Ontario for awhile you need to visit:) I live in the Peterborough area, it's nice countryside, alot better than Toronto, where I am from originally.

I am not understanding the correlation between a low INR, and metabolizing Coumadin quickly. I just ask because my INR sometimes dips down to 1.7, well let's say more often than I like it to.

Take care,
Robbyn

Robbyn,

If you dip below 2 more often than you'd like I'd recommend you take more Coumadin so you won't throw a blood clot like I did or worse, have a life changing stroke. My INR was 1.4 at the time I developed the blood clot.
I need to take a lot of Coumadin because I metabolize much faster than the normal person. I didn't know that either until I was told. They treat everyone the same. One size fits all, so to say.

I don't know if I ever will be back to Canada. I liked the country and the people but have no friends left there. It has been 30 years. My dream is to travel the 401 from the west coast to the east coast by motorhome.
Maybe one day.
Take care,
Christina

Latest posts

Back